Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

jimmynokia wrote: »
    So the east coast, Dublin ruled out???

I wouldn't rule anything out yet, just got to wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Many thanks for all the detailed info folks. Fascinating reading from people far more knowledgeable about storms and weather than me.

Just was wondering if the skies light up as expected could there be a chance of sprites being recorded overnight? I know of only a handful of events being captured from Ireland, usually by dedicated meteor patrol cameras such as that at Armagh Observatory (http://star.arm.ac.uk/press/2013/sprite.html) or Michael O'Connell's set-up in Kildare.

Possibly to point the camera out over the Irish Sea (if the storm system is over Wales and you live on Ireland's east coast) or if, as you were saying Ian, you are in Sligo, then to turn the cameras towards the SE or NE if the storms are on our east coast? People in the SE of Ireland might spot some over storm systems rolling in from Biscay?

It's wishful thinking but ya never know :)

Some links ...

http://www.spritesandjets.com/

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=25&month=06&year=2014

http://elf.gi.alaska.edu/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(lightning)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dewpoints above 20c here pretty much all day so far, currently 28.9c and dewpoint of 21.7c :o

(South County Laois)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

jimmynokia wrote: »
    So the east coast, Dublin ruled out???

Nope all on track according to BBC news 24 graphics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah I got to give it to the BBC. Very brave call by them. But sure look they don't cover Rep Of Ireland, so they can plot thunderstorm graphics over us all they like, if they get it wrong we can't complain to them I guess....

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah I got to give it to the BBC. Very brave call by them. But sure look they don't cover Rep Of Ireland, so they can plot thunderstorm graphics over us all they like, if they get it wrong we can't complain to them I guess....

Aye but they're plotting them in the context of them moving into eastern Northern Ireland
    Also their graphics are plotted from model runs plus human intervention
    They're not like reading here and putting them up there for the crack like :D

This mornings radio forecast mentioned rain for the first time pushing up from the south overnight tonight,now if you ask me,despite them not mentioning thunder with this,it's Glasnevin that's blinked first :D

Of course I could be wrong but there's just too much energy up high for there not to be sfericgasms :D if you introduce moisture

Btw the graphics had this stuff well inland too so Naas not ruled out at all,quite in the firing line actually!

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Aye but they're plotting them in the context of them moving into eastern Northern Ireland
    Also their graphics are plotted from model runs plus human intervention
    They're not like reading here and putting them up there for the crack like :D

This mornings radio forecast mentioned rain for the first time pushing up from the south overnight tonight,now if you ask me,despite them not mentioning thunder with this,it's Glasnevin that's blinked first :D

Of course I could be wrong but there's just too much energy up high for there not to be sfericgasms :D if you introduce moisture

Btw the graphics had this stuff well inland too so Naas not ruled out at all,quite in the firing line actually!

Naas is in the firing line? Makes sense cause I'm in Dublin today and tonight lol

One thing that that arc of cloud moving up from biscay will do is block out the sun. So unless it wants to fire off widespread severe tornadic haily gusty lightningy electrical storms it can shag off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Skies over mayo looking south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Starting to show up on netweather rainfall radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

met eireann sticking to their guns at 3pm

showers and a few sparks in the NW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met eireann short range showing very heavy rain off the S/SE at 11pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Met eireann short range showing very heavy rain off the S/SE at 11pm

Be in cork and Kerry in 2 hours.
    Maybe less it's moving fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Early sign of convection in donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann 1615 update
    19 July 2016 16:15

Today
    Sunshine will gradually turn more hazy from the Southwest this evening with some showery rain developing in places and the risk of the odd thundery downpour.

Tonight

Muggy tonight with showery outbreaks of rain, and the risk of local heavy or thundery downpours. Drier in the West and feeling a little fresher later along Atlantic counties, as westerly breezes set in. Lows 13-18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at this radar it seems to be on track for the South West and up along the West coast

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Met eireann have made a right mess of this.
    Nothing in the northwest but plenty action looks like moving onto the southcoast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

is cork getting some thunderstorms this evening??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The truth is nobody knows but remember cold front is going to edge in fast from the west later so major TS risk will be in north and east from midnight , and gone from here by 0900

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nobody knows is not good wording but there's a large swathe at risk but very low confidence

nexstorm.png

Even though it's a good bit out, my Boltek is picking up persistent strikes from the south. Interestingly the NW Mayo strikes are not getting picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

http://beta.meteoradar.co.uk/expected-rainfall

Useful site for radar forward projection.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A completely different forecast now from Met Eireann compared to last nights boring output to be honest

The precip band looking like sliding up through Munster into central Leinster heading NE towards Belfast
    Showers to the east of that line could be potent
    All this happening overnight
    There should be sparks ,lots and lots of sparks
    Sfericgasms:D

Here is a handy link to see where lightning is... you can zoom in on Ireland using the LHS menu... http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=10

NOTICE: The detection over Ireland/Celtic Sea will not be as precise owing to a lack of detectors here, so even though it might seem a few strikes, changes are activity will be higher. Eastern Ireland will be better served by the detectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dollseyes

Thunder just now outside crossmolina town co Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ArKl0w wrote: »
    A completely different forecast now from Met Eireann compared to last nights boring output to be honest

The precip band looking like sliding up through Munster into central Leinster heading NE towards Belfast
    Showers to the east of that line could be potent
    All this happening overnight
    There should be sparks ,lots and lots of sparks
    Sfericgasms:D

You have to take each forecast on it's merits, Bill.

Advertisement