Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Debating now if i should stay up.. Looking at the lightning maps we dubs are missing it all

You are not missing it. It has not arrived. But when it does arrive and you don't see it then you have missed it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Debating now if i should stay up.. Looking at the lightning maps we dubs are missing it all

What website are you using? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Just heard thunder and seen flashes west of me towards Knock airport direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Just started raining here, Cork city north central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Getting very dark in Galway now to my South are we liable to see some sparks here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Pretzill wrote: »
    In South Sligo listening to a sustained thunder roll for the last five minutes - still going - weird and hot - no lightening yet.

Lots off thunder near constant.good few stricks off lighting 2.very impressive. On towards ballagh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The business us east coasters is looking for is just off Land's End...lots of strikes on the UKMO lightning detector...and just coming into range here: http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Thunderstorms breaking out now in east mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just heard thunder and seen flashes west of me towards Knock airport direction.

A big funnel type cloud was just hanging over the house - lightening at it's middle - took a photo of the cloud rolling off towards Ballymote direction - impressive to see and no downpour yet - (can't upload pic on phone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

ME were spot on where the thunderstorms would happen in the North West, hats off to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Pretzill wrote: »
    A big funnel type cloud was just hanging over the house - lightening at it's middle - took a photo of the cloud rolling off towards Ballymote direction - impressive to see and no downpour yet - (can't upload pic on phone)

Omg get to a computer RIGHT NOW!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Aerohead wrote: »
    ME were spot on where the thunderstorms would happen in the North West, hats off to them

Follow the EC and thou can't go wrong!? Let's see what happens elsewhere before we critique their forecast !!

It's a really tough one. I'd go anywhere at risk ,particularly northern areas. The mad thing is the less detail you give is often better.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

This cell looks to be getting bigger, constant rumbling, flashes getting closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Serious storm
    392204.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Was sitting outside in a balmy breeze. Went inside for ten minutes and it feels like the temp has dropped about 10 degrees. Wind has picked up too. Location:Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Rikand wrote: »
    Omg get to a computer RIGHT NOW!

:D

It was more impressive in reality - didn't get a shot of the lightening underneath just a big triangular shaped mass moving away - probably not impressive to you keen weather watchers 😊

Never saw one so close before - eventhough the chimney on our house was struck some years ago - (just felt that one!)

Seems to have moved away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

loud thunder approching Castlebar from the south!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Distant thunder rumbling in castlebar. Darker skies approaching

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Raining in Cork no thunder though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

loud thunder approching Castlebar from the south!

Yup, a big rumble there, hopefully it will turn into something significant.

• Advertisement

Thunderstorm approaching Westport from the southeast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Follow the EC and thou can't go wrong!? Let's see what happens elsewhere before we critique their forecast !!

It's a really tough one. I'd go anywhere at risk ,particularly northern areas. The mad thing is the less detail you give is often better.

Evelyn mentioned scattered thunderstorms in that rain in the East tonight
    That's new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Countless lightning strikes and near constant rumbling here in Sligo town for the last 30 minutes, moving away now to my North. Saw a couple of nice forks but overall, a very tame display with oddly subtle thunder rolls considering it was right overhead at times. Some nice pinks and purples, but would have loved one or two booming claps in the mix. The cell on the 9:45 radar looked much beefier further East out towards Enniscrone.

Wonder will the precip moving quickly North beef up and electrify for some night time display?

Mayo has lit up,lightning over achill,it's dead calm here in louisburgh,just had a heavy downpour,saw flashes over the reek,more incoming from the southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Thunder and some spectacular lightning in Achill now, almost directly overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Anyone reading this in Carrick (co. Donegal) or closer to coast around there, very strong thunderstorm developed to your south and heading in soon. The activity further east looks to be weakening. A more general thundery rain sort of situation appears to be slowly taking shape from Connacht to south Leinster. It may eventually produce some locally heavy thunderstorms tonight. And I think Wexford could be in line for some of the action forming off to the south, most of that will just miss Ireland and head for Wales and n.w England, s.w. Scotland though.

Enjoy the light show Castlebar, Westport Louisberg,Achill etc etc

major forks, im gonna have to try and video this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Anyone reading this in Carrick (co. Donegal) or closer to coast around there, very strong thunderstorm developed to your south and heading in soon. The activity further east looks to be weakening. A more general thundery rain sort of situation appears to be slowly taking shape from Connacht to south Leinster. It may eventually produce some locally heavy thunderstorms tonight. And I think Wexford could be in line for some of the action forming off to the south, most of that will just miss Ireland and head for Wales and n.w England, s.w. Scotland though.

Thanks I'm close enough to there near coast. Pretty much constant flashes over hills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Most intense lightning storm I have seen in Castlebar in years.

Advertisement