Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Yerp,and as somebody living in a western coastal extremity I can confirm this summer has been a classic bag of incessant muck.period, but I'm looking forward to Monday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann :On Tuesday night, outbreaks of rain will spread from the Atlantic, turning heavy in places, with a risk of thunder, especially in the west and southwest, but parts of the east and north will remain dry.

FBck2oW.png?1

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy, with outbreaks of rain, heavy and possibly thundery in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Very quiet here, is the threat gone mostly?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few sferics off the SW coast now

2u2lZkS.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There's a low risk of anything breaking out tomorrow.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 17 Aug 2016 - 05:59 UTC Thu 18 Aug 2016

ISSUED 13:27 UTC Tue 16 Aug 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

Plume of high low-level WBPT will gradually nudge northeastwards with time through Wednesday, from Ireland into Wales/SW England while being stretched to the SE (towards France) overnight as upper heights rise. The proximity to the forward side of the Atlantic frontal boundary and upper forcing may allow elements of medium-level instability to be released in a rather sporadic nature, with scope for pockets of embedded lightning possible. This potential is perhaps greatest late afternoon into the evening over the Celtic Sea / SW England / SW Wales / W Channel, but gradually decreases and exits into northern France during Wednesday night.

Given marginal instability and current uncertainties, it is likely any lightning activity (if any) may not be that widespread, and hence the chance in any one location is considered too low to warrant a SLGT for now.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Torrential rain a few miles off the the south west coast now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

very rare to see dark purple on the 3 hour met forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

very rare to see dark purple on the 3 hour met forecast

Let it stay out there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

km79 wrote: »
    Let it stay out there

id like to see it but im not sure id like to experience the kind of flooding it creates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This looks interesting to our south:

394576.jpg

I wonder will it deliver some lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

That's just starting to roll over Cork City right now.. sudden downpour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

New sferics off Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

pad199207 wrote: »
    New sferics off Kerry

A bit of activity brewing off the SW coast near Valentia.

Snap!

:pac:

Danno wrote: »
    A bit of activity brewing off the SW coast near Valentia.

Snap!

:pac:

I'll raise your snap :), got a screenshot .

5WU3JCo.jpg?1

Plenty of tell tale signs in the sky with the cloud formations illuminated by the moon. Signs of instability.
    Just dont think theres enough oomph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Just had a very heavy shower here in north county Dublin that came out of nowhere and barely lasted two minutes, but it fairly dumped it down. Its fairly muggy out there still despite this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

There's very rarely enough heat in the air mass around Ireland to set off sparks. You'd have fireworks if this were rolling into western France. There just isn't enough of a landmass to heat the air.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A few strikes now off the west Galway/Connemara coast. http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well as far as Thunder Storms go that was a damp squib, really thought we would have had sparks last night in the West. Hopefully there is more to come.

Looking very Thundery to my South here in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looking very Thundery to my South here in Kildare

Looks like a few more defined showers (dare I suggest cells) are developing over south Leinster, moving north.

A few recent sparks in south Wexford. http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Fork lightning and thunder here in nw wexford.

Torrential rain now in Dublin 16...rain rate of 75.2mm/hr!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Ballylad

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Torrential rain now in Dublin 16...rain rate of 75.2mm/hr!

Thunder n lightning approaching Tullow from south

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I'm in rosslare harbor nowt(St Helen's bay) just seen the charts. Fingers crossed.. Good range of view here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Some sferics at the carlow / wicklow border now.

Gone quiet. Though it would have made it into Kildare

EDIT its lighting up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Light rain has just started back after a short break.

• Advertisement

I'd say that was a VERY LOUD crack of thunder near Bunclody area

Advertisement