Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

met.ie have downplayed the rain tonight and tomorrow, the heavy thundery rain is turned to rain only.

Therefore the low will be accompanied by multiple MCS cells that will be chucking out lightning at 50 strikes a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Going by the current satellite view , it's a very intense area of low pressure out west with sferics embedded

http://en.sat24.com/en

According to this it's tracking towards us , there's some lightning in it. It will be interesting to watch it as it tracks towards us and whether Met.ie will update it to thunderstorm or not.

I'm no expert but it looks like any low from the Atlantic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I'm still down at the corner tip of Ireland in rosslare harbor hopefully something comes my way. Excellent view range.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Appears to have weakened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I do like a good electrical show.. but have been disappointed for years down here in Cork. It reminds me of this old cartoon.

(Sorry mods if this post is off topic / not technical)

394699.png

Looks like boring old light to moderate rain showing up in the Southwest , doubt it will be anything exciting, wish the humidity wasn't so high.

"Weather Advisory for Wexford, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    A deep Atlantic depression is approaching from the southwest and will track east over Ireland on Friday night and early Saturday. It is expected to generate some unseasonably strong southwesterly winds on its southern flank with the strongest winds affecting southwestern and southern coastal counties later Friday and early Saturday, some squalls of 80 or 90km/h are possible in coastal areas. Rough seas are expected with some heavy thundery rain or showers at times also.

Issued:Thursday 18 August 2016 18:00
    Valid:Friday 19 August 2016 15:00 to Saturday 20 August 2016 18:00"

Fresh issue from Met Eireann, looks like Friday and Saturday will be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Carnacalla wrote: »
    A deep Atlantic depression is approaching from the southwest and will track east over Ireland on Friday night and early Saturday. It is expected to generate some unseasonably strong southwesterly winds on its southern flank with the strongest winds affecting southwestern and southern coastal counties later Friday and early Saturday, some squalls of 80 or 90km/h are possible in coastal areas. Rough seas are expected with some heavy thundery rain or showers at times also.

So I should cancel my camping trip to morriscastle tomorrow? Would a tent survive?

Carnacalla wrote: »

Sounds like October weather in August !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

bozharry1 wrote: »
    So I should cancel my camping trip to morriscastle tomorrow? Would a tent survive?

As a seasoned camper, I'd answer that by asking how experienced are you and if you know your tent. I'm heading camping to Kinsale for the weekend and unless it's a hurricane, I still plan on going. I've camped in heavy wind before, but I know my tent and what it can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Most decent tents can survive 40/50mph gusts if well pitched. When you go >50mph it begins together very difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

It's a borrowed tent and first time using it.We have camped before but not in morriscastle. Three young kids too so not sure how they would take the wind. I personally would love to be by the sea for a storm, probably not in a tent though!!

Will wait to see if the warning is downgraded tomorrow.
    Thanks for the advice

Any chance of some sparks later?

From Met Éireann
    STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Clare and Kerry
    Showers or longer spell of rain with some thundery downpours likely to give some spot flooding especially in coastal areas. Totals 30 to 50 mm expected.

Issued:Friday 19 August 2016 10:00
    Valid:Friday 19 August 2016 18:00 to Saturday 20 August 2016 18:00

Hope for some thunder here in West Clare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Most decent tents can survive 40/50mph gusts if well pitched. When you go >50mph it begins together very difficult

Some foreigners pitched a tent in a field here the evening before hurricane Charlie started
    It was raging away all night with unreal rain and wind
    There was no sign of the tent or the foreigners in the morning :D

Recent strike near Killarney.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

7WW5K10.png?1

Day 1 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 19 Aug 2016 - 05:59 UTC Sat 20 Aug 2016

ISSUED 20:49 UTC Thu 18 Aug 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper ridge initially across the British Isles will shift eastwards as a notable upper trough approaches from the southwest, associated with an unseasonably deep area of low pressure. The greatest potential for lightning will likely be in the post-frontal environment, especially through Friday night over the Celtic / Irish Seas and neighbouring coastal counties, as cold mid-levels round the base of the upper trough atop relatively warm SSTs. Given marginal instability, the true spatial extent of lightning is probably not high enough to warrant an upgrade to SLGT at this time. The strongest cells may produce gusty winds and some small hail.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

JzZJ9Pd.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A bit of an upgrade perhaps?

largethumb.php?date=2016-08-20

• Advertisement

Bit of activity overnight / early morning

VfmxHFV.gif?1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

With a bit of clear blue sky here in Dublin 16, I can see some impressive cloudscapes around with some developing CBs.

One recent strike not too far away from me: http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

An area producing sferics moving close to the SW, dont know if it will run out of steam before it arrives, if it arrives.

Some recent activity onshore as well. On the ground can only see a low overcast cloud base. Bigger , higher up cloud tops off the SW.

TgWSUnL.gif?1

bpX7N3p.gif

tkyzP1a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent strikes getting close to the south West coast now, cloud very ominous on the latest satellite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Almighty rumbles here in Cork City!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Thunder and lightning in Cork city..

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

a seriously loud crack of thunder in cork city - mustve been a big strike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

that was some crack

came out of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Lightening strike in cork city. Damn it was bright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Had just come out of a gaa match and while it was raining it wasn't heavy.

There was an unmerciful clap of thunder and the heavens opened.

Advertisement