Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

pretty active cell about 20 miles north west of Glencolumbkille(beside the coast) ,you might be seeing something from this?

Thats it so! :)
    pad199207 wrote: »
    Yes had that here earlier this evening. There was very frequent lightning but there was no way the detectors were picking up all of the strikes. I presume it's because they were high based storms.

Thanks, interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Yes had that here earlier this evening. There was very frequent lightning but there was no way the detectors were picking up all of the strikes. I presume it's because they were high based storms.

The "detectors" are UK based and accuracy goes the further out you are. I

I think only ground strikes show, but would love to know myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

One thing I noticed about the storm in Galway yesterday was the constant flashing and almost non stop thunder only seen that before in Spain, it's a pity it did not happen at night, what a light show that would have been to see

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Will be watching Wicklow Mtns again this afternoon for initiation, similar to yesterday evening orographic lift could aid development of storms. Sunshine amounts debateable today however.

charts showing intense areas of rain for southern and eastern areas later,we shall see

nmmuk3hrprecip.png
    upload photos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very brief (about 30 seconds) but very heavy rain shower here in Dublin 16. Rain drops were so big, they sounded like hail on the roof! Quite a bit of convection going on.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Very brief (about 30 seconds) but very heavy rain shower here in Dublin 16. Rain drops were so big, they sounded like hail on the roof! Quite a bit of convection going on.

Yeah the father in Blackrock just rang about that. He said two of the drops would drown you they were that big

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Warm humid and hazy here in castlebar, certainly a thundery feel about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Buildups developing and getting quite dark near Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Developing cell just pushing off the West Clare coast, looks aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looks like it might get interesting in the next while or so. Some cells in the south midlands starting to bubble up. Cloud tops visible on sat24.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Certainly has kicked off in Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Some of those welsh storms look as their trying to make the crossing.

welshstorms.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Aye looking at that,time to paraphrase Homer,
    Hmmmmmm doughnuts Welsh imports :D

Looks like they will route in to Wexford ,too far south,but I'll keep ye posted,the sky is very thundery looking here near Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

There is potential for Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Absolutely lashing here in nw Wexford.
    Was coming down the fields and you can hear a low rumble at times from thunder from further south in the county.
    Rain actually after easing a bit now.

decent cell firing in the irish sea now,heading for N Wexford

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like a couple of cells forming there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

It's ok I've the milking done and the milk is cooled now. The weather can do what it wants now.😀

Hopefully some cells develop further north of it for Dublin Region. we shall see.

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    It's ok I've the milking done and the milk is cooled now. The weather can do what it wants now.😀

And I've a genny ;)

I'm a tad too far north

Edit just heard thunder

i suspect the southern irish sea is going light up big time now! Getting very busy out there. SE parts could be in for a show

And I've a genny ;)

I'm a tad too far north

I wouldn't have thought so, as it's the stuff/cells on the northern flank of that band that are producing the sparks.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so, as it's the stuff/cells on the northern flank of that band that are producing the sparks.

Could get interesting, some distant low rumbles here,we'll see?
    Dry yet though
    Sky is alive with high angry wavyness

Edit if ever I expected lightning its from the sky East and south East of Arklow rock at the moment stretching coastal towards north wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Raining in Kilkenny the past hour or so after very dark and menacing looking clouds and a very warm, humid afternoon. Still warm actually. Not seen or heard anything yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Should be hearing thunder in Arklow now.

Cell just went off near Courtown.

19:53 lots of strikes just off the coast, those on the easter coast of the south east should be hearing alot!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Should be hearing thunder in Arklow now.

Cell just went off near Courtown.

I've loud tractors going here for an hour so mightnt hear it
    Violent down pouring

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very close to Arklow alright ! The white are in tha last 20 mins..

IrhVg8M.png?2

• Advertisement

Serious thunder now

Advertisement