Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mechanical Help Needed!

• 24-03-2016 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm not too experienced in all things mechanical so apologies if I'm using incorrect terminology! I have a '08 F650 GS. Recently while checking the bike I noticed that a hose from the coolant to the water pump had slid back enough for coolant to begin leaking onto the ground. Having opened the clip (non-original clip) and placed the hose in it's proper spot, I noticed after a spin it had slipped back a little again.

Decided to remove the hose and have a look at the pipe coming from the water pump and found that the shoulder/lip running around the diameter appears worn/sheared off along one section. I've attached a photograph.

Any mechanically minded members mind having a look at the photograph and giving your thoughts? Is this how it should look or has there been a botched job at some point?

I'd appreciate the help, I've been grounded since discovering it!

Thanks,

TH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Looks to me like that is the way it was cast. If someone went to the trouble of grinding the lip off they did an amazingly neat job of it!

Could well need the original clip to make a secure fit though, or possibly maybe the hose was replaced at some stage with one which isn't quite long enough.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Looks original to me.

I'd.source a proper clip for it from BMW . use a cable tie until you get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Try a jubilee clamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As said, connection looks factory...did you tighten the clamp enough.?...get a new one anyway and don't be afraid to tighten it ..there's a lot of pressure in the system.....is the pipe routed properly, is there anything causing a pull on the pipe which won't help the problem..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

There was a problem with the early models and a recall to fit a longer hose. Hard to believe your bike could have been missed? It should have been changed during service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

Thanks for the replies folks, as Two Wheels Good has pointed out it appears it was the subject of a recall back in the day. I've found a 14 page thread on a GS forum about the issue. The fact that the paint is stripped back to the alloy on the water pump inlet suggests it may have been an attempt to address it previously (and the jubilee clip that was on it).

I guess I'll have to try find the part number for the longer hose and see will that fix the issue :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Motobins, independent supplier may help - here. But postage to IRL is expensive.
    It's worth checking with the main dealer; their prices are often (sometimes?) okay.
    If you are changing the clip avoid the flimsy worm-drive jubilee clip and get the OEM or a decent hose clip with a clamp tightening.
    For online parts fiche, realoem.com

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

Thanks, I checked with BMW, apparently the bike was included in the recall back in 09. He seemed unsure if they would cover it again this time round.

Advertisement