Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER rating

Options
  • 24-03-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

I inherited my mother's house a few years ago and have agreed to sell in a private sale.

I'm trying to ensure that there's no hitches or fees that will hold up the sale. I've got the LPT deferred until the house is sold and have paid both a household charge and water charges. However my solocitor said I'll need to get someone up to give the property an energy rating.

The property hasn't got any central heating so surely that means it would have the lowest possible rating so surely it's pointless getting someone up who I presume will charge for a report being done up. Is there anyway around this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Irrespective of the outcome, you need a valid BER for the sake to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,687 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They are around €200 or less to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

you cant sell the house without getting it done

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I understand that the house needs a BER to be sold but just thought that with there not being any central heating then the property could be given the lowest rating going without any need for a report to be done up.

I was also told that it costs about €500 not €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I understand that the house needs a BER to be sold but just thought that with there not being any central heating then the property could be given the lowest rating going without any need for a report to be done up.

Shop around, especially if you're willing to have someone do a 'quick' job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

200 or less easily, as others have said shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ChickCave

Mine cost 145, got it done last week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

100-150 in cork. 500 is taking the p&&s

TheDriver wrote: »
    100-150 in cork. 500 is taking the p&&s

Lets be honest the entire BER thing is taking the P&&s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

If you are a certain age of property isn't it automatically E, and then worse if you don't have central heating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Lets be honest the entire BER thing is taking the P&&s!

It's a legal requirement.

athtrasna wrote: »

Quite, so is no stating no rent allowance on ads these days. I still stand over the comment that they're a waste of time and money. I'd have more faith in them if they required any actual testing but my understanding (and I'm open to correction) is they're almost exclusively a visual survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

I paid 129 two months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Legally needed. Right or wrong, useful or useless, doesn't matter.
    Yes its visual and measuring and requires a handy bit of inputting.

Will come out at E, F or G. if its an old property.
    But it will include an upgrade report.

The lower prices mentioned here seem about the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I got my BER certification done for €148. Shop around you will get it for the lower end of the price scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

athtrasna wrote: »
    While I accept its a legal requirement - its a joke.
    Its worked off a formula of x type blocks and z type loft insulation.
    It ASSUMES it was all correctly and properly installed/manufactured.
    IMO it should be rated from a thermal imaging picture after the heating left on for given period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I got my recent BER cert done for 140.
    As the others in the thread have said- shop around- its not normal for them to cost 400-500.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Quite, so is no stating no rent allowance on ads these days. I still stand over the comment that they're a waste of time and money. I'd have more faith in them if they required any actual testing but my understanding (and I'm open to correction) is they're almost exclusively a visual survey.

Agreed completely. I know of a victorian redbrick with single glazing and that was so cold in winter you could see your in own breath even with the heating on that got a D1 energy rating :pac:
    Ive been in g rated houses that were warmer

Got it done for €130 and despite expecting it to take a while to complete he had e-mailed the report and cert to me within a few hours.

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unfortunately even if you know its going to be a G, you can't declare it to be so yourself.

System is nonsense, an employment generation scheme basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I've got the LPT deferred until the house is sold and have paid both a household charge and water charges.

I'm interested in this comment. I sold an apt Feb 2015 and had to pay the year's LPT upfront and claim it back from the purchaser. Has the arrangement with Revenue changed since Feb 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm interested in this comment. I sold an apt Feb 2015 and had to pay the year's LPT upfront and claim it back from the purchaser. Has the arrangement with Revenue changed since Feb 2015?

That will still be the case - a deferral in this case would to be to allow payment of the requirement amounts from the sale proceeds.

I rang up revenue and I was told that it was up to the discretion of my solicitor. He didn't have a problem with it and although he couldn't defer the flat household charge of €200, the LPT was deferred to the closing of the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

athtrasna wrote:

Yes it is and the sale can't go through without it put the ber is a load of codswallap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks - we had to pay upfront but obviously got it back on the day of the sale (well, the solicitor got it back - we then had to wait for him to pass on the chq to us).

Advertisement