Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most memorable football tournaments

• 24-03-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

Argentina World Cup 1978

As the title says for me at the time football was everything the Argentina World Cup was a great competition even the title music sticks in the memory.
    http://youtu.be/11FULFbXGjI

Who can forget Ally Mcleods tartan army a song still sung at football matches. http://youtu.be/4tiSww7FJAE

Willy Johnstone sent home for failing a drug test and Archie Gemmill's famous slalom goal against Holland.
    http://youtu.be/d1axsnMRbbo

The whole competition before and after was marked with controversy accusations of dirty tricks and match fixing as the hosts beat Peru 6 -0 ending in an epic final between the hosts and Holland who once again fell at the final hurdle as Rensenbrinck hit the post.

The ticker tape and chants of Argentina, Argentina and after it was all over we saw Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricky Villa at Spurs and Tarantini at Birmingham City these were arguably the pioneers of foreign footballers in England even Roy of the Rovers team Melchester signed Paco Diaz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Italia 90. Put em under pressure; The excitement, the song, the street parties. Sheedy from the edge of the area and Niall Quinn finding that loose ball. Liniker's should never have stood. Holding Hadgi and Romania. The peno's; Bonnar and O'Leary, enough said. ****ing Schillaci wrecking it all in Rome. Jacks army and the homecoming, the milk bottles, the greatest Ireland shirt ever. For not winning a game but it feeling like we won the ****ing tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Euro 2000

2004 and 08 were also good

Last WC was good as was 02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

PSV, Celtic, Derry City and Newcastle United played a pre-season tournament in Lansdowne Road many years ago. 1997 I think.

It was my first ever live football game watching my beloved Newcastle.

At the time I didn't realise it was just a meaningless pre-season tournament. But it was magic to me.

Shook hands with Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley and Faustino Asprilla.

They won the tournament and lifted the trophy. Thought they had won the league or something. :pac:

Really cool and special night.

Euro 88.

Our first foray into a major finals, the fear that we would be cruelly exposed, hanging on against England, the Irish fans marching into Europe in tens of thousands, being robbed by Russia and Holland, Whelan's goal, Van Basten and Gullitt etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

From a pure football point of view it has to be Mexico 86

Some amazing games but it was the tournament of Maradona.
    The greatest player ever in my opinion. I don't think Messi or Ronaldo come near him.

From an Irish point of view, Euro 88 for beating England and how we played in the other games.
    Italia 90 was special for the atmosphere in Ireland but the football was brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Italy 1990 was great from an Irish pov, the buzz here in Ireland was just great.

France 98 was probably my favourite for football reasons, it was just a fantastic generation of football players. Zidane , Ronaldo, Suker to name just three. Michael Owen goal against Argentina, Bergkamps goal also against the Argies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

The road leagues finglas 1989.
    I was **** at football but was an unused sub for 4 matches, got about 3 mins at the end in the finals and everyone in the team got a a small trophy to take home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

The slalom goal by the Saudi Arabian player against Belgium in USA 94 was a particularly striking moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Mexico in 86 , maradonna and his goals v england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Italia 90 obv.

France 98 was a brilliant tournament too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

France 98 was the best WC I remember.
    I was a bit young at Mexico 86.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I remember 86 alright, but I was 6 so couldn't appreciate it.

I just remember asking my dad why there was a spider on the pitch during the Hand of God game, and my Aunt and Uncle visiting from England that day too, and my dad and uncle going absolutely mad that that goal wasn't disallowed.

I remember 86 alright, but I was 6 so couldn't appreciate it.

I just remember asking my dad why there was a spider on the pitch during the Hand of God game, and my Aunt and Uncle visiting from England that day too, and my dad and uncle going absolutely mad that that goal wasn't disallowed.

I was 6 as well- I watched the final with my dad while the rest went to Mosney- Camp Refoogee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

http://youtu.be/uXauYVy_dws

And of course USA 94 An iconic moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

World Cup Spain 1982, if only for the Brazil - Italy quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So many left a mark. Hugo Sanchez goal in 86 is one of my first footballing memories. I was 7 and I spent the next 2 weeks trying to scissor kick everything. Italia 90, I remember sitting on the kerb outside my garden with my mate just after Italy knocked us out. It was eerily quiet, not a soul on the road. Pretty surreal.

Every tournament has good memories for me. Apart from Euro 2008. I got married the day it kicked off and was on honeymoon for the next 3 weeks in Thailand, so I didn't see a minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mexico '86 Brazil vs France quarter-final & Maradona were two of the main reason for falling in love with football.

Euro '88 for that goal.

Italy '90 for Irish reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

World Cup 1982 for this .....

panini-world-cup-sticker-albums-spain-1982.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Euro 96 and France 98 are two I remember with a lot of fondness.

I know USA 94 was pretty entertaining too but I can't remember it as well as those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

For sheer number of quality open attacking games,tremendous goals and that iconic image of Maradona going mad up to TV camera USA 94 tops all for me.Bulgaria had an unbelievable side,great to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

RayCon wrote: »
    World Cup 1982 for this .....

panini-world-cup-sticker-albums-spain-1982.jpg

Italia 90 one sticks out for me.

s-l225.jpg

Think I got a bad back from dragging that folder around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Turtyturd wrote: »

s-l225.jpg

In the pre-internet days of the 90s and me as a young lad with an interest in football, that Italia 90 folder taught me all about international football.

I learnt all about the previous tournaments, the great players, the great matches. I can still remember the pictures and the illustrations of the great goals.

It was a thoroughly detailed international football encyclopedia. I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The football at Italia '90 was pretty crap but it was the most memorable for me. It was pure theatre. Cameroon beating the World Champions in the opening game, Rene Higuita, Rijkaard spitting at Voller, Ireland getting to the Q/F, England losing on penalties, Maradona even in decline was special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Euro 96 for me as it was the first tournament I really remember. Croatia were my adopted team after the auld man told me about the conflict there. Had the jersey and all thought I was the dogs bollocks. They had a class team also - Billic, Jarni, Boban, Prosenetski and Suker. His chip against Denmark is still one of my favorite goals. Think I cried when Germany knocked them out. They had a great run in the next World Cup aswell getting knocked out in the semis by France. Always will have a soft spot for that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Probably a good bit younger than most on here judging by whats been posted so far, but 2002 World Cup stands out for me, Saipan, Matty Holland vs Cameroon, Duffs celebration vs Saudi Arabia, Robbie Keane scoring against Kahn and then the heartbreak of the penalty shootout against Spain. The Brazil team were brilliant too with Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and of course Ronaldo. I remember vividly Ronaldinhos free kick that lobbed David Seaman as well. Turkey and South Korea also caused a few shocks in getting to the semi finals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There will never be another Italia '90 moment in this country, so for those of us who were of an age to get the most out of it it will never be forgotten.

Apart from that I really enjoyed Mexico 86, Euro 88 and Spain 82.
    But then again I was at an age to have more time to enjoy them then.

s-l225.jpg

My brother had that one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Euro 84,possibly the best game ever between FRA v PORT, then you had Schmacher in the german goals in 82 :eek: now that was a proper hatchet job on Battisson,and unbelievably he ended:up doing bestman for him some years later :p:p

Euro 84,possibly the best game ever between FRA v PORT, then you had Schmacher in the german goals in 82 :eek: now that was a proper hatchet job on Battisson,and unbelievably he ended:up doing bestman for him some years later :p:p

Sounds like an urban myth as up to 2012 Battiston said he had no interest in meeting Schumacher...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/90/french-football/2012/02/29/2936621/patrick-battiston-ive-forgiven-harald-schumacher-but-dont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

That_Guy wrote: »
    PSV, Celtic, Derry City and Newcastle United played a pre-season tournament in Lansdowne Road many years ago. 1997 I think.

At the time I didn't realise it was just a meaningless pre-season tournament. But it was magic to me.

They won the tournament and lifted the trophy. Thought they had won the league or something. :pac:

I was there too! They were my first live football games as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

s-l225.jpg

By Italia 90 I was 18 so I swapped collecting stickers for collecting pints that summer :)

http://youtu.be/tGq7VcaHoqo

Just watched that Battison unlucky not to score, should have been a penalty and Schumacher should have been sent off and or charged with assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

In the pre-internet days of the 90s and me as a young lad with an interest in football, that Italia 90 folder taught me all about international football.

I learnt all about the previous tournaments, the great players, the great matches. I can still remember the pictures and the illustrations of the great goals.

It was a thoroughly detailed international football encyclopedia. I loved it.

Same here. I remember reading it being absolutely enthralled. Getting the flags for each country was for some reason also amazing to me. The USA and Yugoslav flags seemed particularly iconic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Euro 96 and France 98 for me.

94 sparked an interest in football for me and 96 is when I got properly interested in football.

Was doing my Junior Cert when France 98 was on and we all left the first exam early to make sure we got home in time for Brazil vs Scotland.

Poor Tommy Boyd...

Also, arguably the best football ad ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Has nobody mentioned euro 2000 yet?

Best international tournament I have seen, livid Italy didn't win it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Mexico '86, Euro '88, Italia '90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

World cup 86 was incredible. Maradona was untouchable. Euro 88 was brilliant too. I've often gone through the players we had at our disposal in my head. What a squad we had. I know we were all about qualifying cos it was our first one but we actually should have won it were it not for the poxiest header I've ever seen. Was surely heading for the corner flag but for a crazy spin on the ball. Still haven't got over it. Some of the best defenders in world football and we had that many we had to play two of them in midfield. Will we ever see another black pearl of inchicore I wonder. Such an incredible group of talented players we has in those 6 or 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Was at that myself. Fecking hilarious when Derry beat Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

86 was the first I remember. 90 made me fall in love with the game at 11 years old. Being English, 96 is probably the tournament I look back on most fondly. That demolition of the Dutch, beating Scotland with the Gazza goal and Shearer looking like a beast of a striker during a warm English summer. Football came home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Also, arguably the best football ad ever.

second to this for 2002

94 was very good with the Bulgaria and Sweden teams, but 96 and 02 have been the best for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not there but it was strange to see Sky trying to pretend they knew much about Derry when they made the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I really enjoyed the 2002 World Cup despite the times being a bit of a pain in the arse. It was probably the most memorable for me.

- Ireland's last minute equaliser against Germany and the heartbreaking penalty shootout defeat to Spain.

- Senegal beating the holders France 1-0 in the opener and France subsequently finishing bottom of their group with 1 point, while Senegal beat Sweden in the round of 16 to make it to the quarters.

- Officials clearly on the take as South Korea make it to the semi-final.

- The USA dumping Portugal out.

- Ronaldinho's cross/goal in that cracking game against England.

- Redemption for Ronaldo and Beckham after 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The best first round of a World Cup was the last one for me. Knockout stages was 1982 in Spain.

Best overall was probably Mexico '86 for me.

Italia 90 for obvious reasons.

USA 94 was great too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

The last world cup was the best one for me.

I know Rodriguez got goal of the tournament but Rvps goal vs Spain was one of the best ive ever seen. I still watch it over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

mansize wrote: »
    My brother had that one!!!

I remember the TV add for it.

Brian Clough in full finger jabbing mode.."I'd look out for it if I were you!"

The 2010 World Cup in South Africa hasn't been mentioned yet though the only thing I can remember is the Vuvuzela

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Paully D wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the 2002 World Cup despite the times being a bit of a pain in the arse. It was probably the most memorable for me.

I thought the times made it better. Ireland vs Cameroon at 7.30am on a bank holiday Saturday, trying to find out which pub's were serving alcohol, then into work without letting on you were drinking. The whole place shutting down for the Germany match at 12.30, even the busses stopped running so had to run into town to watch it. Even the Spain match was early on the Sunday and I had to work straight after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Has nobody mentioned euro 2000 yet?

Best international tournament I have seen, livid Italy didn't win it.

That Spain vs Yugoslavia game was great.
    I'll miss the 16 team format. Can't say that the new format & quality of sides now make me anticipate Euro 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

1978 was the first one I remember, I was 7. I also won a soccer medal the day of the final, my first ever one and still the only one I ever won outdoors (I've loads of indoors ones).

1982 the first one that I really remember, plus as we were the only house with a colour TV on the road, it was wedged during every match. Brazil were genius, that team still for me the best never to win a WC.

I worked at the 1998 WC. Worked at 7 matches, saw another 3, probably worked 500+ hours over 6 weeks but it was magical. Got to sit on the outfield for 25 mins of each half, and as long as I live I'll never forget Zizou's first goal, the moment he jumped I knew he was going to get his head to it and was already on my feet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement