Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carraig Eden - Joe Duffy

• 24-03-2016 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I heard earlier on the Joe Duffy liveline show (😱) that Carraig Eden is soon to be put up for sale. Residents have been given notice to find alternative accommodation. Two of them, and a guy from Tiglin spoke on the show. Very tough on the people concerned although I can't say I'm surprised to hear it's going up for sale. Is it a listed building, I wonder? What will happen to it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Sorry to hear this, but it is a prime site and not necessary for the activities going on there - I remember when the Cardoo's (?) were managers there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Would be a great site for a cafe/restaurant, with the sea view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

homer911 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this, but it is a prime site and not necessary for the activities going on there - I remember when the Cardoo's (?) were managers there..

Em, why is it not necessary for the activities going on there?

Zoo4m8 wrote: »

It's not like its used as a coast guard station, or a 5-star hotel..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Boutique hotel/guest house - it's already set up as accommodation (though I assume it's fairly spartan).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

homer911 wrote: »
    It's not like its used as a coast guard station, or a 5-star hotel..

Ok...I imagine the people who use it would think it's very necessary for their activities..

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    I think the implication in the comment is that this particular prime site beside the sea is not necessary for those activities (not that the activities should stop, or aren't worthwhile).

Arguably though, they are making more use of the site, and more people are benefiting from their stay at this location, compared to any other sea-front property in the area.

I think its fair to describe the activities as "rehab with added evangelisation".
    I've met some of the temporary residents down at the cove, enjoying the air and interacting with the general public, and the surroundings seem to be uplifting and stimulating for people who might previously have been a bit depressed and lacking in motivation.

I've also met some of the (different) clientele up at Tiglin in the Devil's Glen, and the isolated nature of the place is ideal for inner city types to go "cold turkey" on their drugs habits. So I think both of these places are in fact making the most of their locations.

Personally I am not entirely comfortable with evangelical religious organisations having access vulnerable people, but if the state and its social services are not stepping up to the task, then nobody can really criticise these organisations for providing their charitable "help with added indoctrination".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Googling the place's name suggests it's a "Theological College", so I was a bit confused by the initial post about "residents", but your explanation makes it clearer. However I share your concerns about mixing religion with rehabilitation. I also didn't know about Tiglin's repurposing either. It was an outdoor pursuits centre for a while until it closed mainly due top lack of funding which was a shame.

The Department of Housing and WCC have purchased Carraig Eden to continue to run it as a half-way house

https://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/2017/06/29/mediation-was-not-entered-into-but-there-has-been-a-resolution-of-the-carrig-eden-issue/

That is an ideal result. Fair play to Minister Simon Harris, as it appears he was instrumental in making this happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Really? What is your source for this understanding? The link above has a picture of him and a statement thanking the team. Nothing to suggest he played any part in it apart from 'communications' from his office.

Likewise in fairness, why not praise Stephen Donnelly as well as he is mentioned ?

Not that I have time for either of them.

I look forward to being corrected.

On topic - this is good news for an excellent service

I was simply going on the info in the link..
    We are happy to see that the Minister Simon Harris has managed to bring this to a conclusion
    ...combined with the fact that Harris is a govt. Minister with the power to get things done, whereas Donnelly is not.

Advertisement