Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on flexible work

Options
  • 24-03-2016 8:34pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just gone back to work and my 7 month old is going into the creche soon.

I've decided I can't bear only seeing him for a few short minutes every evening during the week. I'm lucky that my employer offers flexible working options, including working a 4 day week or reducing my hours every day and/or starting earlier.

Does anyone have any experience of these options and can share their experiences? I can't decide if working flat out 4 days a week is worth having a whole extra day with him, or if it works out better to have more time with him every afternoon/evening.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I did a 4 day week a few years ago and it was fab, but it's all going to be dependant on your own circumstances. I was living so close to work that i was able to pop out to see the baby at lunchtime. We had a good 2 hours in the evening either way.

If you are doing massive long commutes, then maybe reducing the hours every day would suit you better?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thanks pwurple, no I have a pretty short commute so I would see him for about 1 1/2 hours every evening if I worked a 4 day week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Im doing a four day week, taking Wednesdays off. I think I'd prefer this to doing five shorter days because you still have five mornings of organisation, preparing lunches and commuting. I love not having to worry about anything work related on a Tuesday evening. I took a half day this week, finishing at two, and I felt like I'd still worked a full day with the commute (I only live 10 miles from work but it can take 30-45 mins each way), and mornings being busiest for me at work anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

livinsane wrote: »
    Im doing a four day week, taking Wednesdays off. I think I'd prefer this to doing five shorter days because you still have five mornings of organisation, preparing lunches and commuting. I love not having to worry about anything work related on a Tuesday evening.
    This! It's invaluable having that extra day of not having to be organised and on that hamster wheel of dinner, clean up, lunch prep, getting clothes and bags ready etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

OK I'm sold - 4 day week it is :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement