Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed win outdoor light!

Options
  • 24-03-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Broke a light as I was walking past with a ladder today, side alley of a house, thing was literally touched and the smashed into a zillion pieces.....

Anyway, got a replacement light as the lighting place didn't have covers for the old one.

The old fitting had space for 4 wires, the new one only has space for 2, plus the earth.
    The light is part of a row of 3.

There's 2 blue wires, 2 brown wires, and earth.

The lighting store guy said just twist the brown together, and the blue together and try that - it trips the switch inside.....

Have to go back tomorrow, and try to figure it out... Thinking maybe to use the
    old lightbulb fitting and mount that inside the new light casing somehow

Adding photos now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭iqmdublin

Here's the 4 wires, with the new fitting which only takes 2......

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Are you sure absolutely no part of the bare copper on the blue or brown wires are touching the metal bracket/holder ? Are the lights only turned on by a single switch or is there a sensor ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If you take the bulb out and switch on the switch does it trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

put the 2 blue wires together in a connector block
    put the 2 brown wires together in a connector block

(try switching lights on and see do other fittings light up)

if they do then switch off again and

bring a single wire from each connector to the terminals of new fitting

switch lights back on again and hopefully all will work

its really difficult to get 2 cables into those terminations(especially twisted)

Needles73 wrote: »
    Are you sure absolutely no part of the bare copper on the blue or brown wires are touching the metal bracket/holder ? Are the lights only turned on by a single switch or is there a sensor ?

I had to strip them back a bit, there would be par touching the metal bracket....
    Non-electrician though, but im guessing that's a no no?
    And the switched on by a switch inside the house, no sensor

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    If you take the bulb out and switch on the switch does it trip?

Didn't try! I only put it all together and asked the owner to try it once, and it tripped the board : /

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

iqmdublin wrote: »
    I had to strip them back a bit, there would be par touching the metal bracket....
    Non-electrician though, but im guessing that's a no no?
    And the switched on by a switch inside the house, no sensor

If you have bare copper from those cables all making contact with a metal bracket, I'd be very confident that that's why it's tripping out.

Yes any one of the blue or brown (copper part) wires touching the metal plate is a "no-no". The advise to use a strip connector and have carefully trimmed single cables into lamp holder will work

Hmm. Problem is it's an incredibly short cable already, so I can't cut off the ends.
    Duct tape be ok you think?

And should I leave the wires connected the way they are ( all mashed together), or best to try using the old connector? (And connect each of the 4 wires separately)
    Or option 3 would be to only connect 1 of the Browns and one of the blues, and have the other 2 hanging loose with some tape on the ends....?

Don't use tape. The cables are not that short. I'd go and get a strip connector and do it properly. You could pick up a small bit of extra cable and a strip connector in most hardware stores. You cannot leave wires dangling...Both blue need to be joined and likewise both brown.....This is a tiny job but still needs to be left safe

• Advertisement

iqmdublin wrote: »
    Hmm. Problem is it's an incredibly short cable already, so I can't cut off the ends.
    Duct tape be ok you think?

And should I leave the wires connected the way they are ( all mashed together), or best to try using the old connector? (And connect each of the 4 wires separately)
    Or option 3 would be to only connect 1 of the Browns and one of the blues, and have the other 2 hanging loose with some tape on the ends....?

read my post again
    use new wire from connector block to light terminations

This is an example of what Meercat is advising. I've just shown the blue but do the same with brown. Surely you have some cable lying around...? My bulb holder for demonstration only !!

good man needles

What the guys suggested seems best way out of it, if you have no spare wire though, just unscrew the bulb holder from the bracket (makes it Alot easier to push two wires in)then snip the copper bit so they are not so long....then push wires through the hole in bracket and into bulb holder then put screws back into bracket making sure no copper is exposed.
    But that's just if you can't find a little bit of wire to do what lads suggested

Ah, got it!

It won't be an issue seeing as it's only 1 of 3 lights, and the other 2 on the wall at connected differently?

I was gonna call an electrician if I couldn't manage, but I only charged €35 for the job I was doing on the house, minus the cost of the new light and 1.5 hours labour (fitting the new light and painting the concrete!), so I thought an electrician would be another €80 minimum

(Thanks for all the help by the way!)

If you wire it as advised and have none of the cable copper bits of the blue and brown touching the metal bracket all the lights "should" work normal

Done!

Got some extra wire and a connector yokey, all workin!

Thanks for the help!

Good stuff !

Advertisement