Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do over the (rest of the) Easter break?

Options
  • 24-03-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding what I should do from now until the JC, specifically during the Easter holidays right now. I have all the written work assigned by the teachers for Easter done, so I'm just wondering if there's anything I should do in specific.
    So far I haven't actually been studying, just doing homework well and listening in class. Obviously not studying for class tests may not have worked out all the time, but I think I'm still doing pretty well.
    Well, I was pretty happy with my mocks, especially considering I crammed everything until the night before. I'll just give a rundown to show where I am (not to brag):
    Maths- 88% (A)
    Irish- 89% (A)
    Music-97% (A)
    Science-93% (A)
    Metalwork-93% (A)
    French-79% (B)
    Religion-84% (B)
    Home Ec-68% (C)
    English- 67%(C)

As you can see, English would be my main worry. Home Ec, French and Religion should come with project work and more practice. I've talked to my English teacher and we can both agree that timing is my real issue. I didn't get either of the English papers finished; (30 marks worth unfinished in P1 and 20 in P2). P2 actually was almost an A but P1 dragged me down a lot. I've finished our English HW for Easter and have even done around 5 extra exam questions for practice during the last 6/7 days. I find it really hard to make my writing sound interesting,especially when I'm timed. It's also really hard for me to sit down and make myself actually do English; I just completely lose interest after a few minutes.

Any tips for what I should do right now, particularly with English? Would appreciate any help given, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

Those are amazing mock results, well done! My advice would be to keep practicing on the areas of the paper you fell down on and practice writing in the time given for those sections. Sadly English isn't something you can learn off by heart like Business or Science. Please don't let your good standard of English slip like I did ( I got a D sadly). A grade B-C is still really good, especially for English.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't do History or Geography?

For English, the only way to make your writing interesting is for you to have read interesting varied English. It may be too late for the Junior, but before Leaving, make sure you have read at least one work by most of the following (and add as many more as you want) - Arthur Conan Doyle, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, All of the Brontes, Walter Scott, Agatha Christie, Roald Dahl, etc.. You need to experience many different styles of writing. This will make your own writing better.

Obviously make sure handwriting is as good as it can be. Having corrected mocks, I can assure you there are many candidates out there whose scripts examiners will be unable to read in June. People will use technology as an excuse, but it is sheer laziness (barring a hand deformity or fine motor skills disability) to have dreadful handwriting - a headline copybook and ten minutes twice a day will sort it for anyone in at most three weeks.

Advertisement