Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Tour of Sligo - Charity Sponsorship Suggestions

Options
  • 24-03-2016 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a few people in work together to do the An Post tour of Sligo, but getting cards made up so that they get sponsored and the funds go to a local charity.
    I think even 5 or 6 people at €100 per card will be appreciated by the charity, while our company will have the added bonus of some teamwork among colleagues.

So here's my question, as we are a medical device company, I would prefer the charity to be involved in one of the local hospitals, the hospice being an obvious one, but also I was thinking of the local MS centre as that is something that my wife in particular would approve of as her mother died quite young from the disease, so does anyone have any other ideas of any charities worth looking at funding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

rizzodun wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting a few people in work together to do the An Post tour of Sligo, but getting cards made up so that they get sponsored and the funds go to a local charity.
    I think even 5 or 6 people at €100 per card will be appreciated by the charity, while our company will have the added bonus of some teamwork among colleagues.

So here's my question, as we are a medical device company, I would prefer the charity to be involved in one of the local hospitals, the hospice being an obvious one, but also I was thinking of the local MS centre as that is something that my wife in particular would approve of as her mother died quite young from the disease, so does anyone have any other ideas of any charities worth looking at funding?

If you are thinking of a charity regarding homelessness : try North West Simon community or Focus Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Best luck with the project rizzo.
    Theres the Alzheimer day care centre in Dunally also.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

The donal parsons trust could do with any money you can raise.

http://donalparsonstrust.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Maybe CF ?
    I know that story in the local paper recently touched me anyway. Set up a just giving page and I'll sponsor you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Thanks for the suggestions so far, good call on the just giving page, never crossed my mind.
    As I said, I'd rather focus on a charity more involved with the local hospitals but some good alternatives mentioned also.
    I just need to pitch the idea in work and see if I can get enough people to make it worthwhile, so I'll see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I thought the Hospice was already the nominated charity my self. Was sure I collected for them one of the years I did The Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Vlove wrote: »
    If you are thinking of a charity regarding homelessness : try North West Simon community or Focus Ireland?

If you are thinking of a charity that provide homeless services in Sligo: try Sligo Social Services or Finisklin Housing Association

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I thought the Hospice was already the nominated charity my self. Was sure I collected for them one of the years I did The Tour.

This year it's Acquired Brain Injury ireland.

http://www.tourofsligo.ie/about-the-tour/nominated-charity/

I made a donation to the nominated charity last year on sign up (and will do again), but I'd rather pick a charity collectively as a group from work.

Just an update on this, after some thought I think the time to the An Post tour will be too short. So I've decided on a slightly different plan, to cycle from our sister site in Longford to our site in Sligo later in the year. So that way I can rope a few more people (hopefully) and also get a few jerseys made and allow time for more fundraising. I'll keep you all posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

rizzodun wrote: »
    Just an update on this, after some thought I think the time to the An Post tour will be too short. So I've decided on a slightly different plan, to cycle from our sister site in Longford to our site in Sligo later in the year. So that way I can rope a few more people (hopefully) and also get a few jerseys made and allow time for more fundraising. I'll keep you all posted!

If you're going to do it from one company site to another, how about doing it for a charity associated with whatever it is your company makes? That way you might get the company to sponsor you as well, either in terms of actual cash or maybe paying for the jerseys to be printed etc. Turn it into a competition between the Longford & Sligo sites, company sponsors a prize of some sort for whoever raises the most money.

• Advertisement

If you're going to do it from one company site to another, how about doing it for a charity associated with whatever it is your company makes? That way you might get the company to sponsor you as well, either in terms of actual cash or maybe paying for the jerseys to be printed etc. Turn it into a competition between the Longford & Sligo sites, company sponsors a prize of some sort for whoever raises the most money.

Hi, as mentioned in my first post...

Advertisement