Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest ever English player?

• 24-03-2016 11:58pm

Moore? Robson? Gascoigne? Charlton? Linekar? Banks? Beckham? Matthews? Keegan?

The nod usually goes to Moore, I guess he was the epitome of the mans man...but would only be going on reputation rather than footage as he was before my time.

Think history tends to overlook Bryan Robson, but he was a phenomenon in the 80s, teak tough and battled back from a couple of broken legs at a time when that was still potentially a career ender.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Moore? Robson? Gascoigne? Charlton? Linekar? Banks? Beckham? Matthews? Keegan?

The nod usually goes to Moore, I guess he was the epitome of the mans man...but would only be going on reputation rather than footage as he was before my time.

Think history tends to overlook Bryan Robson, but he was a phenomenon in the 80s, teak tough and battled back from a couple of broken legs at a time when that was still potentially a career ender.

Dixie Dean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jimmy Greaves - hard to believe of course if you only ever saw him on ITV on a Saturday afternoon but a strikers striker when you needed to have Ironclad legs to survive the ordeal of tackles by Johnny Giles, Norman Hunter et al and the pitches were absolutely terrible. Left, (sometimes) right or head - it didn't mater.

the evidence for the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's hard to talk about players that came before your time and in my time watching the game(mid-70's onwards) the best England international has to be Peter Shilton the goalkeeper.

I've been thinking about this for quite a while and I just can't get past him. Some great outfield ones too and for me Lineker would stand out at International level. Bryan Robson was a great one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Gary Lineker for his level of clutchness. Shearer and Owen were fairly clutch but Lineker out-did them.

Note: My decision making is entirely down to International football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bobby Charlton

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Cantona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Alan Pard......

Nah, I won't go there.

To be honest, most of who people have mentioned are waaaay before my time so I couldn't honestly say.

I'll just go for the biased option and say Alan Shearer. Goalscoring record speaks for itself really.

Paul Scholes and that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would have thought Charlton, although Charlton himself has said Duncan Edwards was the best he'd ever seen. I'm uncomfortable though going for historical cases which would be based primarily on Youtube clips.

Of the ones I've seen in my lifetime I think their best player was a talent they squandered: Paul Scholes.

I'd have Shearer up there in terms of the best English footballer at club level and just about the finest striker they produced in my era (and better than Linekar)...just not sure about his record at international level where Linekar did so well. I guess he did have 1996.

Greaves was by all accounts right up there too, but maybe like Shearer seemed to miss out at international level, mostly on account of missing out on 66.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Gazza for sheer talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I've always felt short changed by Gazza in much the same manner as Best. They were fantastic players head and shoulders above those around them but for too short a time. Gazza and to a lesser extent Le Tissier were the best players I've seen but Shearer for his impact over the years he played would get my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wonder if Matt Le Tissier had played with a bigger club how good would he have become.He's one of Xavi's favourite players

He was joy to watch , lazy as **** but a pure genius.

Shearer was so bland though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

On his day Gazza but obviously lots had a better career overall. My first Wembley game was vs Turkey in 92 England won 4-0 and he ripped them apart he would just pick up the ball and run through them time after time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

no love for stevie g? almost dragging an average team up to the the summit? but always falling just short. except that one time in istanbul, when he rang up the pope at half time and jesus said "yes".

or that other time in wembley, when he spent 90 minutes running around in torment with dross, and he said "lord must i always suffer?" and god spoke to him (via the holy ghost of course) "lad, be not afraid, just put yer blessed right foot through it and i will send it home". i swear thats what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dixie Dean.

60 league goals in one season back when men were men and women were also men.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rb33hAc41Lo

emo72 wrote: »
    no love for stevie g? almost dragging an average team up to the the summit? but always falling just short. except that one time in istanbul, when he rang up the pope at half time and jesus said "yes".

Ah come on now. Most people probably wouldn't even have him as the best English midfielder during his career let alone the best overall of all time. World class? Without a doubt. Best English player of all time? Not even close.

or that other time in wembley, when he spent 90 minutes running around in torment with dross, and he said "lord must i always suffer?" and god spoke to him (via the holy ghost of course) "lad, be not afraid, just put yer blessed right foot through it and i will send it home". i swear thats what happened.

What summit?? England werent great with him as captain.

Beckham wasn't bad for England

jimmii wrote: »
    Ah come on now. Most people probably wouldn't even have him as the best English midfielder during his career let alone the best overall of all time.

but the miracles:pac: he was a man for divine intervention.

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »

Beckham vs Greece was one of the best performances I've ever seen. I remember the next day papers had their ratings with him a 10 and the rest of the team 3 or 4 and that was fair!

this isnt about the national team i assume?

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Reckon the historical consensus has to be Moore. But in my own time watching at international level I'd put it at Linekar, Shilton, Waddle. With a hat tip to Terry Butcher too just for being a double hard bastard.

England had some team in the late 80s to early 90's and a great manager in Bobby Robson at the helm. Its still incredible to think Ireland played them four times between 1988 to 1992 and we came away with a record of a 1-0 win and 3 1-1 draws. I'll never forget that night in Wembley where we went 1-0 down to a Lee Dixon goal in the 11th minute and then instead of lying down we laid siege to their goal and hit the woodwork twice before Quinner volleyed an equaliser past Seaman. We punched way above our weight in those four games against England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No idea really. I'd be spoofing if I said otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

On his day Gazza but obviously lots had a better career overall. My first Wembley game was vs Turkey in 92 England won 4-0 and he ripped them apart he would just pick up the ball and run through them time after time.
    Aye he was the one player in recent times that English football could put on a mantle with Platini Zidane Hagi Xavi but as you say for all too short a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Paul Scholes and that is all

Doesn't even make the top 10.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Aye he was the one player in recent times that English football could put on a mantle with Platini Zidane Hagi Xavi but as you say for all too short a time.

Only players I've seen do what he did that day were Ronaldinho and Ronaldo if only he'd been able to keep things together.

Only players I've seen do what he did that day were Ronaldinho and Ronaldo if only he'd been able to keep things together.

Flawed genius

• Advertisement

Flawed genius

I have my quirks but wouldn't say I was flawed. Thanks anyway!

I have my quirks but wouldn't say I was flawed. Thanks anyway!

Are you Gazza?

Can anyone who said Gerrard get off my thread?

I though I was stretching it by saying Beckham. But seriously, the elastic snapped with Gerrard. It's not the "who was good enough to lace Beckham and Scholes boots" thread.

I though I was stretching it by saying Beckham. But seriously, the elastic snapped with Gerrard. It's not the "who was good enough to lace Beckham and Scholes boots" thread.

Two captained England...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

In my lifetime Shearer, by the sounds of it they had a lot of better players before I was old enough to care about football. Maybe time has enhanced some legacies though also, hard to say.

im going home:( and im not playing with you any more:cool: .....now give me back me ball:pac:

• Advertisement

im going home:( and im not playing with you any more:cool: .....now give me back me ball:pac:

/bursts it

- there ya go

Two captained England...

As did Gareth Barry and Scott Parker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Lineker probably. Best striker they had at the most recent period of 'success' i.e. successive World Cup semifinals.

As did Gareth Barry and Scott Parker.

Emile Heskey even wore the armband one time!

Was it a game of keep the armband off Scholes?

• Advertisement

Was it a game of keep the armband off Scholes?

Lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Carlton Palmer.

Keegan was superb

Shearer was so bland though

He was unbelievably gifted striker. Big occasion player. Was more of a power and precision type of player then an Henry/Cantona who had style and flamboyance. He made scoring look easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

John Barnes was the spice to the meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

As did John Fashau :eek:
    price690 wrote: »
    Carlton Palmer.

I remember he was called a world class midfielder by Graham Taylor and 'Charlton Plumber' by some other commentator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Stanley mathews must be up there somewhere

kupus wrote: »

Up where?

Up where?

Amongst the greatest English players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

kupus wrote: »