Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 Hour Stop Over, Newark

Options
  • 25-03-2016 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭

Have a stop over in Newark upcoming for 11 hours, anyone know if you can leave the airport?

Haven't found anything concrete online and no word from the airline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I'm not sure but if you can, you could possibly consider shopping at Jersey Gardens. A trip into NYC might be good too but you'd have to really pinpoint where you want to go to get in & back in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Yes you can leave. Jersey Gardens is only 15 minutes away and buses run from right outside the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thanks, do you know if I need to take bags or can I leave them on route to Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Thanks, do you know if I need to take bags or can I leave them on route to Dublin?

If they're booked straight through to Dublin then you don't need to go near them. You'll probably need a spare case for Jersey Gardens though :).

If they're booked straight through to Dublin then you don't need to go near them. You'll probably need a spare case for Jersey Gardens though :).

Thanks for both replies, Jersey Gardens sounds like a winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I definitely agree with Straight Edge Punk - bags should go straight through to Dublin (when you check in for your flight to Newark you can double-check that there). And if you're anything like me, you'll probably need another case for anything picked up in Jersey Gardens - you can buy a suitcase there - there's a bag place and definitely in Kohl's. A lot of damage can be done there in a few short hours :) Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Are you flying directly to the Newark from Ireland?

Is your eventual destination somewhere in the us?

If your answer is yes to both then yes you can leave. Once you go through customs and immigration in shannon/dublin you are technically in the us.

Its only 20 minutes by train from Newark airport to Penn station in middle of Manhattan

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Are you flying directly to the Newark from Ireland?

If your answer is yes to both then yes you can leave. Once you go through customs and immigration in shannon/dublin you are technically in the us.

Its only 20 minutes by train from Newark airport to Penn station in middle of Manhattan

From Lima back to Dublin through Newark.

Did the opposite on the way and took four days in NYC

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

rossie1977 wrote: »
    This has no bearing on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

US airports don't have international transit facilities where passenger transit thru, if they just have a connecting flight. (The way that Heathrow does, for example.) Once you have an ESTA and you have cleared Immigration, you are free to enter the US proper. You can leave the airport and head into the city, or you can head straight to your gate and wait there. It is entirely up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Jersey Gardens would be a definite winner. You can also take the train from Newark to Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan in about 20 minutes. It leaves you right beside Macys and the 34th St shopping area and only a 10 minute walk from Times Square.

Advertisement