Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a US Visa...?

Options
  • 25-03-2016 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I travel to the US quite a bit for business and pleasure and always on an ESTA, I've just discovered that I can no longer travel on an ESTA because I've been in Libya since 2011 and they've now imposed a restriction on that...
    https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/02/18/dhs-announces-further-travel-restrictions-visa-waiver-program

I don't have any concrete plans to travel there anytime soon but that could change and I could have to go at short notice.
    Can I apply for a visa without having a firm travel plan just to have one in place in case I need to go there at short notice.....?

Has anyone done this and if so is there much involved in getting a visa...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I travel to the US quite a bit for business and pleasure and always on an ESTA, I've just discovered that I can no longer travel on an ESTA because I've been in Libya since 2011 and they've now imposed a restriction on that...
    https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/02/18/dhs-announces-further-travel-restrictions-visa-waiver-program

I don't have any concrete plans to travel there anytime soon but that could change and I could have to go at short notice.
    Can I apply for a visa without having a firm travel plan just to have one in place in case I need to go there at short notice.....?

Has anyone done this and if so is there much involved in getting a visa...?

You can apply without firm plans.

There is a bit of a kerfuffle involved, but of you're organised it's generally not too complex (certainly compared to immigrant visas :D)

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html gives a lot of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thanks for that, I can't see it on there but how long does a visa remain valid for...?
    Did I see that right that they cost $160 to apply for...?

Thanks for that, I can't see it on there but how long does a visa remain valid for...?
    Did I see that right that they cost $160 to apply for...?

Generally they are issued for 10 years. And yes, they cost that much.

Thanks Buffybot, that only works out at $16 a year then so no biggie, just a pain in the arse having to apply for it and trying to schedule an interview.
    Anyone know what the interview involves...? Presumably they'll want to know what I was doing in that part of the world...?

Thanks Buffybot, that only works out at $16 a year then so no biggie, just a pain in the arse having to apply for it and trying to schedule an interview.
    Anyone know what the interview involves...? Presumably they'll want to know what I was doing in that part of the world...?

Count on it ;) Though it does at least give you a ready made answer to the "why are you applying for this visa" question

From what I recall the questions were pretty perfunctory (what do you do, travel plans etc) but I'd also expect a little grilling about Libya in your case.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Count on it ;) Though it does at least give you a ready made answer to the "why are you applying for this visa" question

From what I recall the questions were pretty perfunctory (what do you do, travel plans etc) but I'd also expect a little grilling about Libya in your case.

Fair enough, I've been to the US several times since I've been to Libya, Tunisia, Egypt and a number of other hotbed countries in the ME, I spent almost six months there at one point and no one ever queried it despite the fact that my passport looks like a first edition of the Koran with the amount of stamps and visas on it....

Fair enough, I've been to the US several times since I've been to Libya, Tunisia, Egypt and a number of other hotbed countries in the ME, I spent almost six months there at one point and no one ever queried it despite the fact that my passport looks like a first edition of the Koran with the amount of stamps and visas on it....

Those were the old rules, now they have new ones. C'est la vie..

Just going through the application process now, it's really long winded.
    I don't have firm travel plans but it's asking me for contact details and addresses of the place I'm visiting....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

On the topic of visas, can someone confirm that the correct site for green card applications is https://www.usgreencardoffice.com. Submitted a query regarding the application process and got a very sales pitch style response to my query. It seemed quite odd.

Berserker wrote: »
    On the topic of visas, can someone confirm that the correct site for green card applications is https://www.usgreencardoffice.com. Submitted a query regarding the application process and got a very sales pitch style response to my query. It seemed quite odd.

No, the only official site is dvlottery.state.gov

• Advertisement

Just going through the application process now, it's really long winded.
    I don't have firm travel plans but it's asking me for contact details and addresses of the place I'm visiting....:confused:

You could just put "None at this time" or "Does not apply" etc. Might as well be upfront with it.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    No, the only official site is dvlottery.state.gov

Thanks. Didn't part with any money, luckily. Will wait for the official lottery to opens up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Berserker wrote: »

Good job asking whether its legit before you parted with any money.

Any official US Government site is going to be .gov

(As far as I know the "com" in .com is short for "Commercial".)

What's parking like near the embassy at 08:00 in the mornings if I schedule my interview for then...?

What's parking like near the embassy at 08:00 in the mornings if I schedule my interview for then...?

You should be able to get a space on Clyde road or one of the streets off Baggot Street. Ballsbridge direction will be busy.

Advertisement