Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autistic godson coming to stay, things to do?

Options
  • 25-03-2016 1:08am

My godson who is 6 and has been diagnosed as high functioning autistic, is coming to stay for few days next week.
    He knows me very well & knows my house well too, so no problem there.
    I'd like to take him out to do things that he will enjoy. He likes shows, like musicals etc, doesn't like the cinema.
    Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas of places to bring him/ things to do? I'd love if he really enjoyed himself, but it's hard to know sometimes what he will take to.
    I live in south county Dublin, but will bring him anywhere within reasonable travelling time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Does he like outdoor activities? The Japanese Gardens in the National Stud is excellent if the weather is nice and wouldn't be too crowded next week. Or a pet farm - not sure what ones are out your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

http://imaginosity.ie/?gclid=CjwKEAjwlfO3BRDR4Pj_u-iO2U0SJAD88y1SrPSDxZYYaJzvKQ1c7tkuiFSi7fTyN-I6AHVXn5_ZvRoCebbw_wcB
    Supposed to be great but I've never been so don't know how noisy or overwhelming it might be for your little guy

Thanks guys, he went home today.
    Been to imaginousity before & he loved it. Very hard getting him to leave though.
    Went to national history museum, but was too busy for him, said it was hurting his head, so left just as tantrum was starting!
    It really is try everything & see how it goes, things I didn't think he would like, he actually enjoyed.
    It is hard work though, he is happy just watching you tube videos of games, but I like to try to get him to do other things.
    It's so hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

bubblypop wrote: »
    Thanks guys, he went home today.
    Been to imaginousity before & he loved it. Very hard getting him to leave though.
    Went to national history museum, but was too busy for him, said it was hurting his head, so left just as tantrum was starting!
    It really is try everything & see how it goes, things I didn't think he would like, he actually enjoyed.
    It is hard work though, he is happy just watching you tube videos of games, but I like to try to get him to do other things.
    It's so hard to know

You're a wonderful godmother to make such an effort to ensure he has an enjoyable time with you. I hope his parents realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

yellow hen wrote: »
    You're a wonderful godmother to make such an effort to ensure he has an enjoyable time with you. I hope his parents realise that.

I'd say there's no fear of them not realising! She sounds like she's worth her weight in gold and considerably more than that - probably has just saved her god son's parent's emotional health for the next long while!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Agreed. My sons godmother is a special needs teacher, lives beside us and is as much help as snow on a rope. I even pay her to sleep overnight with him....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Heh, I have Asperger's and so does my seven-year-old nephew. We enjoy each other's company very much. One of the best things we did was play one of those silly kids' board games and make up new rules as we went along, allow each other extra turns, pretend to cheat, all in good fun because we didn't really care that much who won. Total Calvinball moment. :)

Advertisement