Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 5), March 24-26

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

4-0. That's a paddling! Poor old Pats.

Q/ But where are all the goals going to come from this season now that Richie has gone?.

A/ Everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

4-0 was somewhat harsh but Dundalk deserved their win. Even enough first half although we gifted them a goal but we struggled when Fagan went off and collapsed once the second goal went in. Surprised Kilduff is starting for Dundalk Macmillan is a better player imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I thought Pats general play was good, Timlin looks a good addition and Fagan is always dangerous.

However, they are not going to win anything with a central midfield like that. It was very static and offered the centre backs very little protection.

Dundalk didn't need to do too much to get their four goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I actually thought Pats were phenomenal in the first half and easily the best side I've seen in the league this season. I commented to one of my friends at half time that they would win the league but they just seemed to crumble in the second half. I don't know if it was fitness, lack of desire or lack of belief but there is something seriously off with that Pats squad. From playing so well and dominating Dundalk to being outclassed 15 minutes later would have me seriously worried if I was a Pats fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

kksaints wrote: »
    Kilduff is starting for Dundalk Macmillan is a better player imo.

Kilduff is terrible. A serious panic buy by Kenny in my opinion. If we had a decent striker we would win the league by 10 points but we haven't and this gives Cork a decent chance of winning the title this year.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    I actually thought Pats were phenomenal in the first half and easily the best side I've seen in the league this season. I commented to one of my friends at half time that they would win the league but they just seemed to crumble in the second half. I don't know if it was fitness, lack of desire or lack of belief but there is something seriously off with that Pats squad. From playing so well and dominating Dundalk to being outclassed 15 minutes later would have me seriously worried if I was a Pats fan.

Fagan going off was a big blow as the ball didnt stick to Corcoran at all. Next four matches for us are Harps (A), Sligo (H), Wexford (H) Bray (A) before we play Cork at Turners Cross. If we can get 9 or 10 points from those matches it will be interesting to see how we perform against Cork.

Kilduff is terrible. A serious panic buy by Kenny in my opinion. If we had a decent striker we would win the league by 10 points but we haven't and this gives Cork a decent chance of winning the title this year.

Almost certain ye paid us money for him too. Was very poor with us and really apart from his spell with Cork in 2013 he hasnt performaned since his UCD days.

Was impressed with Mountney last night. Thought he did a good job at preventing Bermo from getting forward and was useful in attack.

For us Timlin looked very impressive and gave Massey a very hard time in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Youths - Derry match is at 5pm, not 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Not sure I'd agree with that. For the first ten minutes of the game they dominated and really had Dundalk pinned back. Once Dundalk scored, they took charge of the next 20 mins and Pat's regained a bit of belief heading towards half time and did indeed come again.

Dundalk have the knack of killing you though, just when you are starting to believe. The opposition has a spell and they just score and that's it.

Pat's did knock the ball around quite impressively at times though and they do look a half-decent side. They won't be up against the quality of Dundalk every week, luckily for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Kilduff does look like a fairly ordinary player, but physically he gave the Pat's defence enough fits to justify being in the team. He's not great on the ball but he did tire out those big centre halves Pat's have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Much of the league is made up of teams who collapse with the first goal. Pats were awful last week, they score first and look assured and Rovers looked terrible. Same with Wexford the week before, looked very good until the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Galway vs Bohs is at the very unusual time of 2pm, making a weekend away of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Omackeral wrote: »
    Galway vs Bohs is at the very unusual time of 2pm, making a weekend away of it.
    The reason for 2.00pm kick-off is to avoid a clash with Connacht Rugby in the evening. They're playing Leinster at around 5.15pm and most will be tempted coming across town with the pubs etc. The club felt it would be better to give supporters the option before the game.

If we go up against Connacht Rugby, we will lose badly, especially considering it will be their biggest gate of the year by some distance. Apparently they've sold around 9,000 tickets for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The reason for 2.00pm kick-off is to avoid a clash with Connacht Rugby in the evening. They're playing Leinster at around 5.15pm and most will be tempted coming across town with the pubs etc. The club felt it would be better to give supporters the option before the game.

If we go up against Connacht Rugby, we will lose badly, especially considering it will be their biggest gate of the year by some distance. Apparently they've sold around 9,000 tickets for the game.

I wonder if we'll get any crossover the other way, a few rugby fans coming out to Deacy park. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Omackeral wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll get any crossover the other way, a few rugby fans coming out to Deacy park. :pac:

You get entry in to the Galway United game if you're a connacht season ticket holder today so I would hope so!

Also, if you want a football overload, the Galway women are kicking off at 7.30 pm at EDP too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mars Bar wrote: »
    You get entry in to the Galway United game if you're a connacht season ticket holder today so I would hope so!

Also, if you want a football overload, the Galway women are kicking off at 7.30 pm at EDP too.
    I was actually out in Santry last week and seen Galway ladies hammer Shels. Decent team. Their left winger was impressive.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gonna be a long season for Bohs

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

A spanking of Longford Town next week in Dalyer is badly needed to get a bit of confidence back in this team. The high Optimism for the season back in Feb is now gone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We deserved the win on the balance of play, Bohs lacked any creativity in the middle, their LW was the standout for them, front two were anonymous for long periods. The difference when we played against the wind was palpable, ball on the ground, passing, running, players trying to create chances. Vinny took his goal well from a great ball in. Sullivan in the middle of the park has brought a much needed physical presence into our side, onwards and upwards for GUFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Alan Byrne forced to come on after a few minutes...Saturday night over anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

G'wan Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We are in a world of trouble. :(

Wow, wasn't expecting this!

Mushy wrote: »
    Wow, wasn't expecting this!

Having already played ye neither was I, Sligo must be absolutely cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

We deserved the win on the balance of play, Bohs lacked any creativity in the middle, their LW was the standout for them, front two were anonymous for long periods. The difference when we played against the wind was palpable, ball on the ground, passing, running, players trying to create chances. Vinny took his goal well from a great ball in. Sullivan in the middle of the park has brought a much needed physical presence into our side, onwards and upwards for GUFC.

Pity the weather spoiled the first half. Bohs didn't offer much and I think we could have won by more if the wind wasn't there.

Shanahan is rubbish. Always thought this, today no change in that opinion

Having already played ye neither was I, Sligo must be absolutely cack.

Its just mirroring last season, I did hear the Galway game was where the better team won but scoreline flattered them too. Two seasons in a row our first victory comes against Sligo, both 5 games into the season.

Delighted here!

Its just mirroring last season, I did hear the Galway game was where the better team won but scoreline flattered them too. Two seasons in a row our first victory comes against Sligo, both 5 games into the season.

Delighted here!
    Great win for ye but jaysus no we could have seven that night, ye played like a junior team.

Great win for ye but jaysus no we could have seven that night, ye played like a junior team.

Ah the auld bias reporting/feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Alan Byrne forced to come on after a few minutes...Saturday night over anyway!

Definite starter now in the next game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Looks like the first division is a foregone conclusion already with Limerick averaging 5 goals a game and already 6 points ahead of second place.

Definite starter now in the next game.

I was told he was still muck, just Sligo collapsed after the first goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Looks like the first division is a foregone conclusion already with Limerick averaging 5 goals a game and already 6 points ahead of second place.
    i think we hold the points record for the first division (76)... dont let them beat it! It will only take 3 defeats!!!

We really should have beaten longford by more last night, probably had more clear cut chances than in our 4 previous games combined. Frustrating that we went so negative after the goal when we had been all over them second half. Still 7 from 15 and closer to top than bottom, Il take it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

4-0. Against f*cking Bray.

Jesus christ.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They are two crushing defeats for Sligo and Longford morale wise considering the opposition, even though one was only 1-0.

overshoot wrote: »
    i think we hold the points record for the first division (76)... dont let them beat it! It will only take 3 defeats!!!

We really should have beaten longford by more last night, probably had more clear cut chances than in our 4 previous games combined. Frustrating that we went so negative after the goal when we had been all over them second half. Still 7 from 15 and closer to top than bottom, Il take it!

Sounds similar to what we were doing last season, go negative when a point or three were close, it often led to losses. This season has seen us go away from that so far and concentrate on winning the game and being more positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dan1895 wrote: »
    G'wan Shels.

Twas nice! Back to reality come Saturday :(

Market Fields being ticked off to the list to have my clean sheet again.

Advertisement