Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pike in the river suir

• 25-03-2016 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Just wondering if anyone fishes the river suir for pike around clonmel or kilsheelan I know its mainly a salmon and trout river I have caught a few jacks in it years ago but am wondering if anyone fishes it reguarly for pike and had any decent pike in there because iv seen some nice looking spots I'd like to have a go at but because its mostly a fly fisherie i don't want to look like a mad thing casting in big deadbaits if there's no pike at all ha.. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

I know there's a few spots above the bridge in Cahir but I don't know where exactly, I've only ever fished it for trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dyl15

Thanks for the reply man.. Yea fished in cahir once or twice for trout when I was younger I was just fishing in around the castle never went up the other side so don't know that stretch of the river to well.. Have you heard of many getting Pike around cahir ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Yeah, apparently if you can find the spots, it's stuffed with jacks and bigger pike upto around 10lb.

I was talking to a lad last year about it and he showed me the flies and everything he uses, but again I'm not sure exactly where these spots are (and I'm not just saying that to keep the fishing to myself, I don't fish for pike).

Thanks man.. I reckon its worth a try anyway.. I was just wondering aswell if the fisherie board would say anything to me ? I know there's no season on pike but because the suir is a game river they mightn't be to happy seeing me piking ha

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Dyl15 wrote: »
    Thanks man.. I reckon its worth a try anyway.. I was just wondering aswell if the fisherie board would say anything to me ? I know there's no season on pike but because the suir is a game river they mightn't be to happy seeing me piking ha

You may still need to have a salmon licence. And don't let them see ya catching a pike on a trout river or they'll have to go running for the gill nets 😉

• Advertisement

I might go for a walk along the river before I fish it. chances are anyway I'll bump into fishery board and I'll just ask them first before bringing all the gear down.. And I know yea ha I had good day on the Shannon today caught 13lb ferox trout lovely fish put back to fight another day ha and lost a double figure pike at the net.. Is there anyway to put up a pic on this if you don't have enough posts ? And pheasant tail have you fished the suir for pike ?

Dyl15 wrote: »
    I might go for a walk along the river before I fish it. chances are anyway I'll bump into fishery board and I'll just ask them first before bringing all the gear down.. And I know yea ha I had good day on the Shannon today caught 13lb ferox trout lovely fish put back to fight another day ha and lost a double figure pike at the net.. Is there anyway to put up a pic on this if you don't have enough posts ? And pheasant tail have you fished the suir for pike ?
    Or just give them a ring if ya don't see them. No I'm up in Cavan so I've never fished down there before at all, even tip into any if the fishing shops and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction re pike

Yea I might give them a ring I'll let ye know if I get anything decent ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Cluiche iascairi

You won't need a salmon licence to fish for pike, ridiculous suggestion, why waste 100 quid.

If you have like 20lb line with a steel trace on the end, big lures or dead baits, its going to be fairly obvious your not game fishing.

I've heard of pike being caught just outside golden, there's a ruined old castle there think its called abbey castle . good spot but iv only ever seen jacks

I said you may need a salmon licence, not that ud definetly need to get one. If you want to go spinning for pike then you could get caught out there without a licence. You don't need a licence to fish for browns, but there's lots of people who go on the rivers fishing for sea trout or even salmon without a licence and try to cover it by saying there fishing for browns, I'm sure there's similar situations with pike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

You won't need a salmon licence to fish for pike, ridiculous suggestion, why waste 100 quid.

If you have like 20lb line with a steel trace on the end, big lures or dead baits, its going to be fairly obvious your not game fishing.

I've heard of pike being caught just outside golden, there's a ruined old castle there think its called abbey castle . good spot but iv only ever seen jacks

It's not a ridiculous suggestion . Reason being is if there is salmon on a river that pike or trout inhabit then it's safe to have a salmon licence. Salmon will take pike and trout lures/spinners and if you catch one sure a licence covers you to keep it. Plus you avoid arguments with the local anglers who may suspect you of poaching their salmon

Sorry lads, but in my opinion that's ridiculous. Fair enough if you have the money to spare, but to fork out 100 euros in case you might get accused of wrong doing is madness.. Yes salmon may take but you could catch any fish by accident. If you have deadbaits and traces the boys will know its pike your after.

The lads in Golden are sound anyway, I'm fishing for trout there over 10 years, no licence, never caught a salmon either. I did catch a perch one day which amazes me still. Didn't think any perch in the river

Sorry lads, but in my opinion that's ridiculous. Fair enough if you have the money to spare, but to fork out 100 euros in case you might get accused of wrong doing is madness.. Yes salmon may take but you could catch any fish by accident. If you have deadbaits and traces the boys will know its pike your after.

The lads in Golden are sound anyway, I'm fishing for trout there over 10 years, no licence, never caught a salmon either. I did catch a perch one day which amazes me still. Didn't think any perch in the river
    Fair enough, I don't know the area down there I'm just speaking from what I've seen on some of the rivers Ive fished, no harm to put it out there anyway. But if you decide to go spinning for pike on the river, trace or not, regardless of lure or spinner, I imagine you would need a salmon licence, just get a district licence for half the price. Obviously not worth paying if you genuinely only want pike! If in any doubt, the OP can enquire when he is speaking to one of the lads in fisheries just to cover himself 😉

Fair enough, I don't know the area down there I'm just speaking from what I've seen on some of the rivers Ive fished, no harm to put it out there anyway. But if you decide to go spinning for pike on the river, trace or not, regardless of lure or spinner, I imagine you would need a salmon licence, just get a district licence for half the price. Obviously not worth paying if you genuinely only want pike! If in any doubt, the OP can enquire when he is speaking to one of the lads in fisheries just to cover himself 😉

Yeah, the easiest and safest option would be to ring the club in advance, let them know what your plans are. I just thought it would be crazy to buy a salmon licence when you may never want to fish for salmon. I imagine people do try to fool the bailiffs, but I fish for pike and Trout, and I bring a completely different tackle bag for each, The boys watching the Suir are no fools, they are sound.

To the OP.. Where are you from? I know of a small lake near the Suir which is full of Pike and relatively unheard of. I'd be more than happy to bring you off for a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

There is a pike group further upstream around Thurles. They have a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Thurles-pikers-1605146983055542/?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

You wont need a salmon licence. Just make it clear by your tackle etc that you are targeting pike. Basically don't use a flying C with no wire trace. Deadbait, proper pike lures, wire traces and you wont have any issue. Plus you always have this thread as evidence!

I fish several mixed rivers and lakes that have salmon and I never buy a licence. I have no interest in salmon and have never had any issues.

You can always drop an email to IFI and ask their opinion and have the response on your phone or printed with you.

Advertisement