Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Schools

Options
  • 25-03-2016 6:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Posting for my aunt, doesn't have time for this but wants information.
    My aunt and her husband are planning a move to Kildare. He's a consultant here in Galway so will be mostly up at weekends. She can work from home. They'll base their move on schools and good country living. She's very friendly so I can't imagine wants isolation. What are the best Gaelcholáiste in Kildare and what areas would be close to them? Also how do you get your children in? Galway is so closed shop is this area it has her fearful. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

North or South Kildare?

The only Gaelcholaiste in North Kildare is in Kilcock but I believe it's very oversubscribed. There is an Aonad in Maynooth Education Campus which has spaces as far as I know. There's also a campaign to provide a second Gaelcholaiste in North Kildare but I'm not sure how successful it will be at this point.

For the two I referenced Maynooth, Kilcock, Celbridge, Leixlip, Straffan and surrounding townlands are all close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

One in Naas

http://www.gccd.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I didn't realise that there was one in Kilcock. In fact, I don't think there is. Have a look at the link above for the one in Naas.

Naas and Sallins are the closest to the school, but Kill, Caragh, Kilcullen, Newbridge and Clane all are relatively near also.

There is only one Gael Scoil in the immediate area, but the other Irish schools in North Kildare feed into it also.

I would say your aunt's children have a good chance of getting in. My child is in 6th class in the GS and less than half of his year are going on to study through the medium of Irish at second level.

Give them a call. Fiona is the secretary there and would be a good place to start.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am nearly sure that there is none in Kilcock ,Lucan is the nearest to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

You possibly want to be based in Maynooth, or at least on M4 if doing regular commute.

http://www.gaelscoileanna.ie/en/schools/post-primary-schools/

One due in North Kildare in 2019? Lucan nearest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

sadie and Moonbeam are correct. I'm not sure what I was thinking of when I said that. There is the Aonad in Maynooth though.

Advertisement