Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Limerick always been deprived ?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's bit of a lie now to be honest ,it was hardly a war zone ...

It's a total lie. The estate right across from the Castle is Assumpta Park and that's actually a quite nice spot, especially the street right right by the castle. Maybe he went up around Lee Estate which is rougher but that's not what he describes. And it sure ain't as bad as parts of Darndale or Dolphins Barn.

Tbf, it was a comical enough post right up until the rant about travellers at which point it turned into a surreal piece of seriously comedic trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

I was there alright . You guys must love in these estates and be so used to it you are immune. That estate was just down a side road at the roundabout near at st. johns castle. And I can assure you dolphins barn or darndale haven't a patch on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

goochy wrote: »
    I was there alright . You guys must love in these estates and be so used to it you are immune. That estate was just down a side road at the roundabout near at st. johns castle. And I can assure you dolphins barn or darndale haven't a patch on it.

This thread is a wind up.

Or else you have serious pretentiousness issues, to be fair a large number of Irish people are affected by pretentiousness you wouldn't be the first, who the f**k drives around cities at what can only be a slow speed to allow you take in the state of the residences in both local authority housing estates and private estates and then speculating as to the level of deprivation....does it make you feel good or do you enjoy pretending to be concerned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

goochy wrote:

Please stop, seriously ,you must be immune yourself comparing it to darndale , quite delusional ... I won't even get into an argument with you because you haven't the sense to actually be rational

Please stop, seriously ,you must be immune yourself comparing it to darndale , quite delusional ... I won't even get into an argument with you because you haven't the sense to actually be rational

Oh no seriously, this is the streetview image of the street he's describing being on. Can't you see what a terrifying hellhole it is? I myself am a 9ft tall, MMA champ and can bench press half a tonne on a bad day. But even in my armoured car I'd be terrified driving on this scary, scary street.:cool:

25hlsee.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think he's talking about further down towards the island field. I don't disagree with him. It's pretty bad down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

Yes it's not the place in picture.. It's hell on earth further down.
    I suppose youre going to say hyde road is grand too ?
    If you didn't pass these places everyday you would be so immune to them
    Knocknaheeny is corks worst place . There's some boarded up houses but what I saw today shocked me especially as thought these places were being sorted ?

zulutango wrote: »
    I think he's talking about further down towards the island field. I don't disagree with him. It's pretty bad down there.

He said the estate on the side road off the roundabout by the castle. That's the only estate street fitting those directions.

The guy is talking total bs. He came to talk down to us about our deprivation and didn't expect to discover that many of us have less daily strife, bigger houses and more money in our bank accounts at the end of each month than people in seemingly better cities.

Yes it's not the place in picture.. It's hell on earth further down.
    I suppose youre going to say hyde road is grand too ?
    If you didn't pass these places everyday you would be so immune to them

Well the directions you gave were for that exact street. There is no other side road off that roundabout onto an estate. As for passing them every day, nope. I'm rarely in those areas. I'm near the castle and on the street pictured a few times a year. I walked along the river path from the old baths to the Sandmall 2 years ago for the first time in nearly 2 decades. You can see St Mary's Park pretty well from there and I'd absolutely not want to live there. On a daily basis I walk from my house in one of the numerous (but apparently cloaked) nice middle class areas in the city suburbs to the nice middle class city suburb that my parents live in and it all looks nice and middle class for the most part.

I lived for many years in Ranelagh, Templeogue, Westminster and Wimbledon (all super nice middleclass/upper middleclass areas) and I spend plenty of time in my husband's family home in Mount Merrion (again a super nice middleclass/upper-middleclass area). And I chose to move back here because while where I live is not as nice as any of those areas, it still manages to be pretty excellent without being some of the world's most expensive real estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Ah lads! Why are ye continuing to indulge a pathetic troll?! It clearly has significant self esteem issues and is trying to garner some level of badly needed satisfaction by goading ye with a hatchet job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

thought these places were being sorted ?

Only thing I'm actually gonna reply to because you do talk some amount of shite and are just looking to wind people up. These places that you refer to which were being sorted and especially St Mary's Park, you can thank the local council to a certain degree for the place looking like a dump at times. The place has had it's problems at times but since the Regeneration was supposedly gonna transform the place they have just made it worse is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

iguana wrote: »
    Well the directions you gave were for that exact street. There is no other side road off that roundabout onto an estate. As for passing them every day, nope. I'm rarely in those areas. I'm near the castle and on the street pictured a few times a year. I walked along the river path from the old baths to the Sandmall 2 years ago for the first time in nearly 2 decades. You can see St Mary's Park pretty well from there and I'd absolutely not want to live there. On a daily basis I walk from my house in one of the numerous (but apparently cloaked) nice middle class areas in the city suburbs to the nice middle class city suburb that my parents live in and it all looks nice and middle class for the most part.

We ain't that bad down here haha, but I get where you're coming from because it's gotten to the stage were I don't wanna be there anymore. Every since they started this Regeneration thing the place has turned into a right kip, not saying it was paradise beforehand but wasn't as bad. They hadn't got a clue what they were doing and just started boarding up houses which were handed back left, right and centre and randomly knocking some of these house for the sake of it. They would have been better off just flushing that money down the drain because all they done was waste it, the place would be a lot better off now then when they started(again not saying it was paradise but they just made the place worse is what I'm saying).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*Mod Note * - OP we appreciate discussion but at least try keep it from a wind up attempt.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement