Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get into PC building

Options
  • 25-03-2016 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys

I have been researching this topic and I am starting to get a good feel and understanding for PC building [ For an inexperienced NOOB :) ]

So my plan is to pick up a good mid ranged gaming PC......this will give me if you like a starter kit. I have found a company in the UK that seem to have some good prices from what i can make-out. below are the specs of a £910 system. I am currently talking to one of their sales guys and they offer a buy now pay later deal but need to confirm.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Processor: Intel Core i5-6600K - SKYLAKE - 3.50GHz (3.90GHz Turbo) Quad Core CPU

Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Memory: 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 Memory

Solid State Drive: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO Series SSD

Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB hard drive

DVD Drive: 24x DVD Re-writer

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170 HD3P Intel Z170 ATX Motherboard

Power Supply: 650W Corsair VS Series 80+ Power Supply

CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Pure Rock CPU Air Cooler

Audio: Onboard High Definition Audio

Case: Bitfenix Shinobi Midi ATX Gaming Case

Operating System: No OS Pre-installed

So what do you guys think?

If I decide against this options and go for a complete build from scratch where do you guys buy your parts from and what companies should I avoid?

Have you guys ever used Newegg? Ehat kind of excise and import taxes ect would you be looking at ordering from US or canada?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Don't order from the US or canada. Too much hassle with the tax (you save pretty much nothing) and returns (should anything go wrong).
    That looks like a solid build tbh. All the components are of good quality. Run your parts through somewhere like mindfactory.de or computer universe to see what the total component cost is. It's obviously going to work out cheaper but by how much is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Personally if I were spending €1152 on a build I'd want to include a 256GB SSD and 16GB of RAM, 8 is good but games (eg Star Citizen) are starting to push that envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

That'll be about 900-950 on mind factory as a guess. If you're looking to get into building why are you looking at prebuilts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If I decide against this options and go for a complete build from scratch where do you guys buy your parts from and what companies should I avoid?

Just build it yourself. You'll get more for your money and gain the experience of a build.

Mindfactory.de for the innards, Amazon (UK/de/es/whuchever's cheapest) for the case.

Avoid the Irish companies for whole builds. They have a tendency to imagine that components retain their highest value for inexplicable amounts of time - €359 for a 4790, Komplett, really? That's more expensive than the 4790k or even a 6700k from either Mindfactory or Amazon.
    Those kinds of price disparities add up to a lot by the end of a build.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spacepirate

The idea for a prebuilt system is a nice bunch of components with room for upgrade while using the parts o replace as the basis for a 2nd system to build from scratch.

Im a little worried about parts being doa and starting with a working system would be nice for trouble shooting and switching out parts etc.

How would this build cope with streaming hd 1080p video from the web?

Thanks for the advice guys, ill go check out those german sites. I have been comparing stuff to dabs but now i will do the same with the germans :))))

• Advertisement

How would this build cope with streaming hd 1080p video from the web?

You could probably run more twitch streams at source quality than your internet has bandwidth to cope with.
    If you mean streaming to the web, then this would have no problem playing a game and streaming at 1080p 60fps (as long as your upload rate is high enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spacepirate

Also have any of you folks used kinguin. They sell windows oem keys fo 20 dollars

Just wondering if anydody has any expierience with them?

Have a quick look at the pros and cons of using a site like Kinguin (You can swap reddit with Kinguin) to purchase a windows product key.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057575338

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I built mine from parts from Ankermans in Germany (great service, BTW) a few years ago. It has an i7 and 16GB RAM. I added a further 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD afterwards, so I think your build should have a bigger SSD, 32GB RAM and a much bigger disk - my photos alone are well over 1TB now so I'm glad I have 4TB!

As others have said, avoid any non-EU companies since the hassle of duties and VAT just isn't worth it, and they bring the prices up to probably more than local prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

DOA parts aren't that common, buy from amazon if you're that afraid of them, you'll have new parts within a few days.

Do not waste your money on 32gb RAM

This is a pretty high end gaming PC, its pretty much with the best spec available for price/performance, it'll handle anything you throw at it no issue, I'm not sure what parts you'd want to be switching in an out, aside from more storage there's no worthwhile upgrade to make at 1080p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

agree no point in wasting money past 16gb even 8 is enough,besides few applications and games system never uses that much-only benefit of having more then 32gb is to create ram drive which is super fast but again little of use to most.

Only suggestion go for full tower case since cost on cases is mere difference but space longterm pays off specially if wanting to make it tidy and have space for future upgrades.

as for building pcs theres no need to worry and buy kits or complete sets,if you can handle reading manual and do some google youtube searches your set to go,nowadays pcs are stupid proof,meaning if getting parts and you end up screwing up slim chances you will fry anything,and theres not much working with parts once you pop your cpu,ram,vga,ssd and connect them to power supply.

unless you plan on custom water cooling,doing OC,raid setups theres little to do inside box,and if you already know what parts fits your mod then see no reason why you cant put them in yourself.

Advertisement