Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job, Package with health insurance

• 25-03-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

my wife and I paid for the first time last year, Leya health insurance.
    The renewal is on the 27th April and my wife got a new job which should start on the 25th April

Since I know very little about Health Insurances.. what s gonna happen?
    We served the 22 weeks with Leya and so far (touch wood!) no claim... if we move to VHI (which should be the employer insurance), do we still continue as usual?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

This is what I got from Leya Chat service

You can only cancel to move to a company paid scheme - like if your wife's employer is covering your health insurance, then you can cancel with us mid-year. If you wish to cancel because you don't want to continue health insurance, or want to move to another provider (apart from being a company paid policy) then you have 14 days, ie up the 14th of April to advise us in writing if your cancelling

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

turniton wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

my wife and I paid for the first time last year, Leya health insurance.
    The renewal is on the 27th April and my wife got a new job which should start on the 25th April

Since I know very little about Health Insurances.. what s gonna happen?
    We served the 22 weeks with Leya and so far (touch wood!) no claim... if we move to VHI (which should be the employer insurance), do we still continue as usual?

Just make sure you have no more than a 13 week break in cover. You can then carry across the waiting periods you built up with Laya.
    Just be aware that if you upgrade your cover, you will be subject to an upgrade waiting period of 2 years.
    This means that any condition that started before the upgrade will not be covered at the higher level of cover for two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Just be aware that if you upgrade your cover, you will be subject to an upgrade waiting period of 2 years.
    This means that any condition that started before the upgrade will not be covered at the higher level of cover for two years.

This is not true when it comes to Company Paid insurance - they waive any waiting periods as it's a Company paid insurance policy, as opposed to you as an individual upgrading your own policy personally IYKWIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

soc wrote: »
    This is not true when it comes to Company Paid insurance - they waive any waiting periods as it's a Company paid insurance policy, as opposed to you as an individual upgrading your own policy personally IYKWIM.

That's not necessarily true. It completely depends on the agreement the insurance company has with the corporate client. Some will waive all waiting periods, but many only have initially waiting period waived, etc, so I would not bank on that.

Advertisement