Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Switzerland KO: 19:45 TV: Setanta Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Not exactly a half of football to get you hot and bothered. Switzerland, while clearly the technically better team, look very short on ideas in creating chances. Shaqiri is a big loss. You see Xhaka play at Monchengladbach and everything is rapid fire and pinpoint, in this Swiss team he hasn't got the players around him to do that and looks like someone playing very much in 2nd gear.

At least from an Irish perspective there is chances being created, even if they've rarely managed to actually play through midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

I think Keith Andrews may be almost as clueless as Ray Houghton, awful co-commentator.

I think O'Neill would be delighted with that first half. The Swiss haven't really created anything despite having most of the ball and looking like better players overall. We have managed to score and could have added to it.

Doyles injury looked bad. Pity as we don't exactly have an abundance of striking options.

Meyler always seems to disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Especially bad considering Murphy looks like the most unlikely person on the planet to stick it in the net.

Great record at Championship level, but the fact that he's scored 4 goals in the PL and none at international level says it all.

• Great strength from Murphy there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Don't know really at this stage how anyone can want Elliot to start ahead of Randolph for us.

Randolph always looks in fine form for Ireland and West Ham. Elliot is still as dodgy as ever.

Switzerland just so slow to play it out from the back, a couple times in that move Xhaka makes a good offer but they take so long to see that pass that Murphy and Long end up closing it off. No real tempo at all to their play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

callaway92 wrote: »
    Don't know really at this stage how anyone can want Elliot to start ahead of Randolph for us.

Randolph always looks in fine form for Ireland and West Ham. Elliot is still as dodgy as ever.

He's been fantastic for Newcastle since Krul got injured in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Switzerland just so slow to play it out from the back, a couple times in that move Xhaka makes a good offer but they take so long to see that pass that Murphy and Long end up closing it off. No real tempo at all to their play.

But they are "dominating the ball"...which must be nice for them

• Advertisement

darlett wrote: »
    But they are "dominating the ball"...which must be nice for them

Difference between passing for the sake of it and passing with purpose. That pass a couple minutes ago from Rodriguez that broke the Irish like, that's passing with purpose. Their sluggish rotation of the ball amongst their defenders has no purpose. I will say it doesn't help that they are playing 3 fairly defensive minded midfielders here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Score?

1-0 still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭briany

Swiss look to be due one goal here at some stage. It wouldn't make a whole lot of difference either way, but it would be nice to get one over on the Swiss, even if it were a friendly.

Duff wrote: »
    He's been fantastic for Newcastle since Krul got injured in October.

No he hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Better

• Advertisement

No he hasn't.

With our "defence" he has. Certainly not dodgy as ever

Xhaka and Sommer probably deserve better than what's around them.

Duff wrote: »
    With our "defence" he has. Certainly not dodgy as ever

Agree to disagree so. I'm never confident with any corner being whipped in etc. Never trust him, even after seeing him play basically every game since Krul's injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Difference between passing for the sake of it and passing with purpose. That pass a couple minutes ago from Rodriguez that broke the Irish like, that's passing with purpose. Their sluggish rotation of the ball amongst their defenders has no purpose. I will say it doesn't help that they are playing 3 fairly defensive minded midfielders here.

Oh I very much agree. It was ht analysis where I heard them using that phrase and I had to roll the eyes at it. Its quite a useless thing to do when you re losing and not creating chances. Dominating the ball? Well its your own time you re wasting lads. Gotta have a sense of purpose.

darlett wrote: »
    Oh I very much agree. It was ht analysis where I heard them using that phrase and I had to roll the eyes at it. Its quite a useless thing to do when you re losing and not creating chances. Dominating the ball? Well its your own time you re wasting lads. Gotta have a sense of purpose.

Absolutely, it's such turgid possession that isn't really shifting Ireland around or making any kind of inroads. They've finally switched it up now, wing backs higher and Tarashaj and Kasami finding a bit if space in front of the defence. Honestly I wouldn't fancy them to do all that well at the Euros.

• Advertisement

Agree to disagree so. I'm never confident with any corner being whipped in etc. Never trust him, even after seeing him play basically every game since Krul's injury.

Agreed, he's not the best in the air, but he's a great shot-stopper and with one-on-one's. For the record, I agree with Randolph being first choice, has shown no reason to be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

This could very well be soccer's version of the toughest trade where Murphy's taken from his window cleaning job and given a run out for the national team.

• Hoolahan makes such a difference

I'm sure I've said it before but I bloody love Hoolahan. Excellent footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Who is that awful main commentator on setanta? My god he has the most unbearable voice. I cant stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

wtf was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice to have some winning momentum.

• I'm really happy with what is a solid defensive performance. Clark and Duffy were great

Long as usual 100%

Randolph is a great keeper

Brady excellent at set pieces

Disappointed with Quinn and meyler. They couldn't get a hold of the game

When we actually attacked we looked threatening

McCarthy and hoolahan coming on making a huge difference in ball retention and forward play / pressing

Going to be really interesting to see the final squad for the euros

Gutted for doyler, hope he recovers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Decent performance,awful game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Kevin Doyles Injury

NSFW

Only a scratch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

^
    01af86d3b2a9d771ba33eef08d7b5c45.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Too many long hopeful balls handing the initiative to the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm really happy with what is a solid defensive performance. Clark and Duffy were great

Long as usual 100%

Randolph is a great keeper

Brady excellent at set pieces

Disappointed with Quinn and meyler. They couldn't get a hold of the game

When we actually attacked we looked threatening

McCarthy and hoolahan coming on making a huge difference in ball retention and forward play / pressing

Going to be really interesting to see the final squad for the euros

Gutted for doyler, hope he recovers

Sums it up pretty well. What I would say to be honest a midfield pairing of Quinn and Meyler while you will get 110% from both as regards work rate and getting stuck in that sort of partnership isn't going to be all about getting on the ball and dominating possession more about getting around the park and breaking up play. Would be good to see Quinn in there with James McCarthy at some point. Also Duffy had a very good game and is getting good press at Blackburn.

Great win for the confidence and great to see that there will be some tough choices for 5 or so of those squad numbers for France.

We are really strong now in the Keeper department. Despite Newcastle's wows Elliot as well as being first choice is regularly playing very well and although Randolph seems only an option for the cup games and when Adrian was injured he is obviously quality and should start in the Euros... Forde a more then capable number 3 I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭briany

It was a solid enough defensive display from Ireland, but there were moments when the back line were pressed into giving the ball away. As I said last night, this seems to be an effective tactic against the Irish team and it will be a major concern if Ireland's group rivals at the Euros decide to employ it. Despite Ireland's defensive organisation and bravery in some last ditch tackles, Switzerland were able to create some clear-cut chances that were victims of a little deflection or a misjudgement of a couple of inches. Some great set-piece play from Ireland, and especially the corner that led to the goal. A good plus going forward. Inviting the opposition on will be the undoing of Ireland at the Euros. It's not outside the realm of possibility to get results in the team's group, but they will really need to be imposing themselves on at least one of those games at some point in order to get something other than zero points and the rug pulled from under O'Neill.

Advertisement