Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse wishing to study medicine

Options
  • 25-03-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I am a recently graduated nurse with a first class honours degree. I am considering advancing to medicine and have been scouring the net for relative information. However there is not much advice available in Ireland. Has anyone completed such a transition and could they please give some advice.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Postgraduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

You should be eligible for graduate entry, meaning it will be 4 years study as opposed to 5 years. You will have to sit the aptitude test can't recall the name of this, something along the lines of HAP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

dar100 wrote: »
    You should be eligible for graduate entry, meaning it will be 4 years study as opposed to 5 years. You will have to sit the aptitude test can't recall the name of this, something along the lines of HAP

GAMSAT or HPAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

Hi, I am a recently graduated nurse with a first class honours degree. I am considering advancing to medicine and have been scouring the net for relative information. However there is not much advice available in Ireland. Has anyone completed such a transition and could they please give some advice.
    Thank you.

Hey Shaungal - firstly - good luck!

You have a few options- there are no short cuts or direct "entitlement' routes (in some other disciplines you can just apply independently once you have certain qualifications) - no matter what, you will be entering a competitive process. you have 4 options.

1) study abroad - there are a whole lot of options, fees are generally alot less and I hear good things about poland and budapest. with your education you would be in pretty good position - obvious downfall is the travel and language difficulties (most courses are in english for first 2/3 years). fees range from 3,000 - 8,000 per year and your likely to find an Irish person or two in your class.

2) as you have higher than 2.1 degree you can apply to do the GAMSAT - others will know more (there are a few threads around here). As mentioned already, grad med is a 4 your course and is available in Limerick, RCSI, UCD and probably a couple of other places. cost is between 10-15k per year.

3) if you have a Leaving Cert of 550 or over, you can apply undergrad through the CAO in tandem with a HPAT (you can apply with a LC of over 480, but reasonably have little chance as you would need an unbelievable HPAT score). you will be liable for fees of 7-10k per year

4) Mature entry is available in most colleges - there are about 25 places nationally, but again is a competitive process- to be eligible you must be over 21 and sit the HPAT in the year you apply. your academics seem strong so this would help you, but you should also engage in placements, volunteer work etc. colleges shortlist (each college shortlists based upon different criteria) and then there is an interview usually around May/June. Feel free to PM me if you go this route, i can give you more info. Costs range from 7,000-16,000 per year.

Bad news is that its too late for you to start medicine in 2016 under option 2,3,& 4 if you haven't already applied - I know someone studying abroad- so could put you in touch if that interests you.

Otherwise congrats and good luck - if you pursue any of the options let me know- I'd be happy to offer any help I possibly can.

Advertisement