Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington700 stock

Options
  • 25-03-2016 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Is the tang area of a wood Remington stock meant to be higher than the recoil lug area which is much lower on my stock.
    I don't seem to be able to find information on this.
    Thanks,any information greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

The mid section on the bottom of the tang is on the same level as the mid section on the bottom of the action close to the recoil lug. Rem action is a tube, roughly 34mm diameter.
    The recoil lug opening of course is lower... is a rectangle cut into the stock.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deleon

Thanks for your reply
    I asked because I'm going to glass bed my rifle and noticed with spirit level tang
    Middle is several mm HIGHER
    Than middle of stock at front action screw and wondered was this normal.
    If so how is the barrel level Unless the receiver is tapered

Have a picture? If the stock and barrelled action fit and look right...just bed it. If the barrelled action is crooked in the stock you might have a wrong stock.
    If you like we could have a look at it, we are down close to Kinsale.
    edi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I always thought the Remington short action was slightly tapered. By tapered i mean the receiver face is larger in diameter than the area around the tang.

This tapering does not affect the level of the barrel because the tang area is centralised in the receiver face. IOW if you were to look down the action you would see a certain amount off concentricity. As a result the area around the tang may be a little higher than that of the receiver face.

As always i stand to be corrected by those more in the know.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

The 700 actions and some clones are just made from cut off tubes, same outside diameter front to back. It is just an optical illusion that the tang looks smaller. Same as the optical illusion that the tang in the stock seems higher. (if it is a rem 700)
    Our E-Tac stock has a 35mm barrel channel from the forend right to and including the tang. Other stocks have the 34mm channel in the action area.
    Prototype E-Tac. with 35mm tube inserted.
    etac2.jpg

Same prototype without the tube, the outer shape of the stock falls down in the tang are creating the illusion that the tang seat is higher. It isn't.
    DSCN6145.jpg

edi

• Advertisement

ejg wrote: »
    It is just an optical illusion that the tang looks smaller. Same as the optical illusion that the tang in the stock seems higher. (if it is a rem 700)

Ah. Cheers for clearing that up. Didn't fancy taking the action out of the stock to measure. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks Cass and Edi for your observations on Remington stock.
    My stock is lower behind recoil lug when measured with a straight edge it is about 3 mm lower than tang.
    Similarly when measured with straight edge from tang towards recoil lug it is 3 mm higher.
    Yet action when fitted and tightened up beds on both.?
    Do you know what torque should or can be used on the action screws,the front one only beds about 4mm,I wonder was it cut too short by whoever originally assembled the rifle?
    One more question,how to tell a short or long action?
    Many thanks.

deleon wrote: »
    My stock is lower behind recoil lug when measured with a straight edge it is about 3 mm lower than tang.
    Similarly when measured with straight edge from tang towards recoil lug it is 3 mm higher.
    What stock is it? Is it the original or an after market one?
    Do you know what torque should or can be used on the action screws
    The best thing about the action screws is they can be tightened to improve accuracy. I done this with a Savage rifle. Messed around with the torque settings and i was able to improve grouping.

When it's bedded they will go to a preset torquing and no more.

I done a check on a few dedicated websites for Savage rifles to get the best ideas of what torque settings. So when i was bedding i torqued the action to these settings, let the glass bedding dry, and when i put the action back in it'll only go to this torque.
    ,the front one only beds about 4mm,I wonder was it cut too short by whoever originally assembled the rifle?
    Depending on the above, which stock is it, it may be imperfect. Unless it's a custom made one most stock suppliers will give you the option or tell you if it's 90, 92, 95 98 or 100% ready. IOW there made be work needed to "iron out" imperfections.
    Caliber is always a good way.

Short action (only covering the common calibers)
    • 22-250

Long Action (again common calibers)
    • 220 swift
    • 300 (magnum)
    • 30-06

Edi would be the expert when it comes to stocks so my advice above is only my opinion. I'll cede to his knowledge on it and if he corrects me on anything then i'd go with what he says.

Cass wrote: »
    What stock is it? Is it the original or an after market one?

The best thing about the action screws is they can be tightened to improve accuracy. I done this with a Savage rifle. Messed around with the torque settings and i was able to improve grouping.

When it's bedded they will go to a preset torquing and no more.

I done a check on a few dedicated websites for Savage rifles to get the best ideas of what torque settings. So when i was bedding i torqued the action to these settings, let the glass bedding dry, and when i put the action back in it'll only go to this torque.

Depending on the above, which stock is it, it may be imperfect. Unless it's a custom made one most stock suppliers will give you the option or tell you if it's 90, 92, 95 98 or 100% ready. IOW there made be work needed to "iron out" imperfections.

Caliber is always a good way.

Short action (only covering the common calibers)
    • 22-250

Long Action (again common calibers)
    • 220 swift
    • 300 (magnum)
    • 30-06

Edi would be the expert when it comes to stocks so my advice above is only my opinion. I'll cede to his knowledge on it and if he corrects me on anything then i'd go with what he says.

Thanks for that,short:243,long 270 etc now I know.
    Stock is the original walnut one that came with rifle when new,
    I'll go online and see can I get torque settings,I'd hate to strip threads on front action bolt by overdoing it because it's seat is so short.
    Thanks for the reply.

Stock is the original walnut one that came with rifle when new,
    They are generally pretty good. Not perfect and never assume they are.

If you are going to be bedding you'll be removing material from the stock anyway so if it's low it might work to your advantage.
    I'll go online and see can I get torque settings,
    The consensus is usually in the 52ft/lb mark. Anymore and it might cause problems and i've heard lads talking about having to have a metal bottom metal as such high torque settings may break a plastic bottom.

Unlike my Savage where i have different torque settings on each screw it's recommended you set the Remington at the same front and back.
    I'd hate to strip threads on front action bolt by overdoing it because it's seat is so short.
    You can buy replacement screws for the 700 action and extra long screws if you need them. They're only about €10. Although it's best not to have to need them.

Where is Edi when you need him :D

• Advertisement

Do you know what torque should or can be used on the action screws,the front one only beds about 4mm,I wonder was it cut too short by whoever originally assembled the rifle?
    Many thanks.

Sorry I was out the country for a few days.
    You wouldn't be able to take a pic of your stock?
    Higher in front of the recoil is normal as the barrel is smaller in diameter as the action. However the rear tang and the surface behind the recoil lug should be on one level and parallel to the barrel and roughly parallel to the top of the forend.
    Once bedded I had never used a torque wrench just by feeling as I have tightened screws all my life. If car or action screws, tighten similar to any 6mm sized screw. If in doubt rather less tight... fire a few shots and re-tighten. Very important is to use good quality screws of the correct length. Rather spend more time on getting this right. I get my 1/4x28 screws from Browlows in Cork.
    edi

Thanks for your replies,
    I'm going to replace the Remington mod700 action screws.
    Where can I get replacements?
    Can I get them posted?

Advertisement