Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a reasonable time for a landlord to respond to a fault

Options
  • 25-03-2016 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering what is considered a reasonable time for a landlord to respond to a tenant in regard to a fault, for example a broken appliance?

1) How long before landlord calls/texts back to acknowledge the issue?
    2) How long before landlord takes action?

Thks :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

As a landlord, if a tenant reports a fault I would always acknowledge it same day/next morning.

In terms of addressing it that could be same day or take a couple of days depending on different factors - when can electrician/plumber/service engineer attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're my landlord you take a week to reply and two months to sort the issue.

Then his repairman calls to the house unannounced while you're not there and doesn't bother to tell you until you contact him again to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Depends on how critical it is. I'd generally acknowledge quickly, certainly within a few hours, and discuss with my tenant what she wants me to do. But in terms of addressing, a broken blind isn't a particularly high priority for either of us and can be done when convenient - central heating down in winter is an immediate top priority and I ask my plumber to attend as soon as possible. There's no single right answer. It depends on the nature of the problem and the priority it has for landlord and tenant. In an ideal landlord tenant relationship, it has the same priority for both of you but unfortunately that's not always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

Cool, thanks all for the comments.

In my case, I'm a tenant and the issue is a broken washing machine. I left vm and text for the Landlord on Tuesday, then again on Thurs.. no response yet. This is not the first time I have had delayed response either. Always seems to be a challenge to get their attention.
    Would i be within my rights to get the appliance serviced myself and deduct the cost from rent? (obviously I would keep a receipt as proof for landlord).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Cool, thanks all for the comments.

In my case, I'm a tenant and the issue is a broken washing machine. I left vm and text for the Landlord on Tuesday, then again on Thurs.. no response yet. This is not the first time I have had delayed response either. Always seems to be a challenge to get their attention.
    Would i be within my rights to get the appliance serviced myself and deduct the cost from rent? (obviously I would keep a receipt as proof for landlord).

Yep, I've had to do it before, though I would leave another text or voicemail explaining that you plan to do this and gice them a chance to respond. They might get the finger out then because they might be afraid of it being more expensive then whatever handyman they typically ring. Though if the machine needs to be replaced completely that could be a tricky one.

Another thing to consider would be to clean your clothes at a laundromat and deduct that from the rent until they fix the issue.

Unfortunately, some of them won't move a finger until it might cost them money. If they won't get back to you and force you to you handle the issue yourself just keep all receipts and they can't really do anything about it. They can hardly evict you and rent it out again without a working washing machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,263 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In my case, I'm a tenant and the issue is a broken washing machine. I left vm and text for the Landlord on Tuesday, then again on Thurs.. no response yet. This is not the first time I have had delayed response either. Always seems to be a challenge to get their attention. Would i be within my rights to get the appliance serviced myself and deduct the cost from rent? (obviously I would keep a receipt as proof for landlord).

Forget voice mail. Email can be used as proof that you contacted LL and made them aware of the issue but voice mail can't be evidenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You can't legally deduct money from the rent without having agreed it with the landlord. You need to give them a deadline and focus their mind. Put it in writing but if you withhold rent you no longer hold the high ground and it would be used against you in the case of the PRTB becoming involved.

As others have said you can't deduct rent,

You best option is contact him and tell him you will be washing your clothes elsewhere and billing him for it. I was going to suggested using the laundry stations that are popping up in petrol stations as they look very handy and have very large washing machines and dryers. I've been considering using them myself recently even with a working machine as you could do a lot more in one load and I don't have a dryer in the house.

However not sure you will be able to get a receipt from these stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

Cool, thanks all for taking the time out to comment. Good advice :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

athtrasna wrote: »
    You can't legally deduct money from the rent without having agreed it with the landlord. You need to give them a deadline and focus their mind. Put it in writing but if you withhold rent you no longer hold the high ground and it would be used against you in the case of the PRTB becoming involved.

While you're technically correct:

12.—(1) In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a landlord of a dwelling shall—

(g) without prejudice to any other liability attaching in this case, reimburse the tenant in respect of all reasonable and vouched for expenses that may be incurred by the tenant in carrying out repairs to the structure or interior of the dwelling for which the landlord is responsible under paragraph (b) where the following conditions are satisfied—

(i) the landlord has refused or failed to carry out the repairs at the time the tenant requests him or her to do so, and

(ii) the postponement of the repairs to some subsequent date would have been unreasonable having regard to either—

(I) a significant risk the matters calling for repair posed to the health or safety of the tenant or other lawful occupants of the dwelling, or

(II) a significant reduction that those matters caused in the quality of the tenant's or other such occupants' living environment,

You're suggesting the tenant initiate a PRTB case which I agree is the best course of action. However if one was to withhold the rent in the above circumstances the PRTB is unlikely to look favourably up on the Landlord. The end result would be the same financially. I would submit Subsection 5 opens the door on withholding:

(5) For the avoidance of doubt, the condition in subsection (1)(g)(i) is satisfied if, after all reasonable attempts, the landlord or his or her authorised agent could not be contacted to make the request concerned.

If you can't contact the Landlord how do you get reimbursed? Practically in that situation you would have no choice but to withhold and expect the landlord to then get in contact.

Edit: Emphasis added for anyone suggesting that the LL would be responsible for costs such as using a laundrette.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

athtrasna wrote: »

My last landlord owes me 4 figures for a security deposit and an illegal eviction which was the result of a PRTB Judgement and I can't get it enforced so I wouldn't worry about the PRTB.

Considering the relatively small amount a washing machine repair would cost and the fact he didnt want to lift a finger to do anythig to resolve the issue I'd be shocked if he'd pay 15.00, fill out a form and try and raise a dispute with the PRTB. What would he stand to gain anyway?

Deducting a reasonable repair from your rent payment, a necessary repair that the landlord should have done asap and neglected to do so, that you have a receipt for is not the same as withholding rent and is not in any way giving away moral high ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sorry to also answer the OPs initial query.

The fridge/freezer went in my rental when I was sunning myself if the South of France last year. I responded in an hour and had a new Fridge/Freezer ordered the next day. It was delivered within 3 days of the Tenant telling me the old one had gone tits up. They pay me over a grand a month for the place and regardless of my ridiculous tax burden they deserve a good service for that money.

It really irks me that there are Landlords out there who take the absolute p...

Advertisement