Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is butter a suitable substitute for cream Italian cuisine

Options
  • 25-03-2016 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

So as the title suggests...

I'm wondering if butter is a good substitute for cream in Italian pasta dishes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Generally No, What's the recipe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wouldn't think so, it might just look and taste oily. I usually use a cream cheese like Philadelphia, with a little stock to slacken it.

Mod note: *I put the b in butter in your title for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Butter could make the dish too cloying and rich,not to mention the health factor.
    I have used ricotta cheese,mascarapone cheese,greek youghurt,creme fraiche in pasta dishes instead of double cream.
    The sour part of the creme fraiche can work very well with certain pasta dishes..it helps cut the richness of some ingredients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

One of the dishes i have in mind..

Pasta
    Sun Dried Tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Single Cream
    Mozzarella

I was thinking of maybe using half milk, half butter in place of the cream

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

One of the dishes i have in mind..

Pasta
    Sun Dried Tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Single Cream
    Mozzarella

I was thinking of maybe using half milk, half butter in place of the cream

The milk won't emulsify with the butter and you'll be left with the oil on top. As mentioned before, use philadelphia mixed with the milk, it won't split on you if you boil it and also it's about 20% of the fat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

duploelabs wrote: »
    The milk won't emulsify with the butter and you'll be left with the oil on top. As mentioned before, use philadelphia mixed with the milk, it won't split on you if you boil it and also it's about 20% of the fat

I'm not afraid of the fat content, its just i may cook one italian dish a week, so i'd prefer not to waste cream...its more about keeping my shopping bill down and reduce food wastage

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

o i'd prefer not to waste cream..
    You could freeze it. I have an ice cube tray just for sauces, then pop the cubes out into a bag and store them. Big pots of natural yogurt are only a few cent more than the small ones, I imagine cream may be similar.

You could also use those ice cube bags though stuff may not flow into them as easy.

The likes of dealz have small tupperware type containers which might be more suitable if 1 ice cube is too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

rubadub wrote: »
    You could freeze it. I have an ice cube tray just for sauces, then pop the cubes out into a bag and store them. Big pots of natural yogurt are only a few cent more than the small ones, I imagine cream may be similar.

You could also use those ice cube bags though stuff may not flow into them as easy.

The likes of dealz have small tupperware type containers which might be more suitable if 1 ice cube is too small.

Why did I never think of this :o I'm forever throwing out half bottles of cream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I turn leftover cream into fudge or salted caramel...

The philly milk thing works ok, but it's not as nice as cream cream. How much cream is in the recipe? 180mL cartons of cream always seem wee to me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dolbert wrote: »
    Why did I never think of this :o I'm forever throwing out half bottles of cream.

I always wind up drinking it. I love cream. This is why I'm overweight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kylith wrote: »
    I always wind up drinking it. I love cream. This is why I'm overweight...

Yeah I use it as an excuse for too much coffee. Oh wouldn't want to waste the cream, better have six coffees today so.

It if I have loads I whip it and dip digestive biscuits and banana into it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You need to whip the cream to freeze it successfully. Pipe it out onto greaseproof paper in blobs and open freeze. When "done" you can put all the blobs into a freezer bag and take out as many blobs as you need. Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I've frozen it in ice cube trays in liquid form no problem, popped them out into bags then and added them straight into the pan for cream sauces. Works out fine, no need for whipping and takes up less space. :)

Advertisement