Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway - Westport .. commuting ?

Options
  • 25-03-2016 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Thinking of applying for a job in westport. Is it commutable from galway or is it just a bit too much i.e road standards,traffic, distance,time in transit etc.

all opinions and advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭spurshero

It's doable but your talking spending 3 hours every day in car . Road is decent enough . From my point of view would want to be good job to spend 3 hours a day in car . Westport is a beautiful town though in my opinion. Good luck with it if ya take job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Do a trial run on a Saturday that you are free. I suggest a Saturday as there will be a better flow of traffic to navigate rather than on a Sunday, which will be quieter. Shortest route is via Headford, The Neale and turn left at Partry.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is doable, but I wouldn't do it.
    As said, do a trial run.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

A trial run is a good idea. Bear in mind the time of day that you would be travelling at, especially in the winter months as it's brighter for longer this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Slogger24

Living in Westport, and know of many ppl that commute to work/college in Galway every day.. They are currently up-grading the road around headford, when that is finished id say it'll take time off the Journey again. You can also go via Tuam-Claremorris. Longer but better roads ( and hope u avoid the many set of traffic lights in Tuam)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

There are roadworks coming into Headford for the foreseeable future at the minute so the road isn't great there. As the guys said up through the Neale or Shrule are your options after Headford. There was serious flooding over the winter just after the Neale. Once you get to Partry it's turn left after the village Inn and onto the Killawalla Road. That also flooded badly last winter which meant traffic was diverted up to Castlebar. There are backroads to take but if your not familiar you might get lost.

Advertisement