Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe places to leave your dog off - Cork City

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

How much ground can a lamb cover in a few mins. Sorry pwurple but it doesn't matter. If he had said it was a lab would you be saying the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milly33 wrote: »
    How much ground can a lamb cover in a few mins.

Uh, not very much. Are you into bloodsports or something?
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Sorry pwurple but it doesn't matter. If he had said it was a lab would you be saying the same thing

Yes, of course I would. It's completely reckless leaving dogs off leads when people's livelihoods depends on their animals not being harassed or killed by some clueless city thicko who wants to bring their pampered pet out for a jaunt in the countryside.

And I say that as a city girl myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, of course I would. It's completely reckless leaving dogs off leads when people's livelihoods depends on their animals not being harassed or killed by some clueless city thicko who wants to bring their pampered pet out for a jaunt in the countryside.
    You're going to an extreme on this. Nobody is suggesting that if their dog is uncontrollable that they should be taking them out to a farm and allowed near vulnerable animals.
    I think Milly's suggestion was, assuming the dog was playful/controllable/obedient, that an open field, with nothing around within view; could be used to throw a ball around with the dog.

Questioning that Milly is into blood sports doesn't further your argument, it just weakens it.

Questioning that Milly is into blood sports doesn't further your argument, it just weakens it.

I was obviously being facetious. Milly was declaring that a lamb can outrun a staffie chasing it.

Did I need a few LOLs or smileys to make that clear? I'll go for that next time.

A young dog (which this one is) can vanish out of a field in a couple of seconds if it sees something interesting. Poof, and the damage is done.

Milly was declaring that a lamb can outrun a staffie chasing it.
    Are you being obviously facetious again? Cause she didn't declare that.
    A young dog (which this one is) can vanish out of a field in a couple of seconds if it sees something interesting. Poof, and the damage is done.
    Yes, it can. But where did it run to? Into the next empty field, and then run back? We can all make up imaginary scenarios.

• Advertisement

its a joke pwurple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Once the dog is obedient and will come to you or stop when called then there's loads of places around, particularly at night or late evening.

I have a little cross-breed something-or-other (didn't make up a fancy name like husky-doodle-dee or anything for her yet !!) that at night I take over to the B&Q car park and she runs around for the bones of an hour. if I have time off during the week I take her along the Mahon railway line and into a field at the back of Bessboro (entry is close to the Mahon side on the footbridge). It's usually quiet there although a couple of others use it as well from time to time.

Having said that, she's very good to come to me on a whistle or command. (Unless she's eating a child and lamb sandwich which always gets first preference). I can understand peoples apprehension regarding the Staffie - my sister has them and I'm wary of them but in reality they are actually slobs - and well trained slobs at that.

Yes, it can. But where did it run to? Into the next empty field, and then run back? We can all make up imaginary scenarios.

And if the next field isn't empty?

It's spring. The busiest time of the year for farmers with livestock.

Just have a small bit of consideration for other people and other animals, it's not a lot to ask surely. Just refrain from being heedless for a short period of time. Recommence at a later date.

And if the next field isn't empty?
    And if it is empty? And there's no animals within a one mile radius?
    It's nothing to do with consideration if you want to continue with making up scenarios.

Milly's suggestion was just that, a suggestion. I think the majority would have taken it with the idea of being considerate and wary of other animals in the vicinity.

Taking things to your extreme, then can we accuse you of prompting that all dogs should be put down in case they break out of there owners grip or dwelling, and run amok?

. I think the majority would have taken it with the idea of being considerate and wary of other animals in the vicinity.

You really think everyone who suggests taking a young dog and letting it go in someone elses's field after dark is considerate and wary?

It doesn't go without saying, and it's not obvious to a lot of people, because it happens constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I think whether there are animals in the field or not is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. It's trespassing either way. Most farmers won't be happy with a stranger and their dog on their land (sheep or no sheep).

You really think everyone who suggests taking a young dog and letting it go in someone elses's field after dark is considerate and wary?
    I didn't say that. And neither did Milly btw. You seem to constantly read dialogue that isn't there.
    I was speaking about Milly's suggestion. And given her track history on here, she was making a simple helpful suggestion. One that, I at least, took with the idea that she implied (without needing to state the obvious) was done with permission and a sense of consideration. Note she never once used the language you refer to.
    It doesn't go without saying, and it's not obvious to a lot of people, because it happens constantly.
    Define constantly? And perhaps link to these constant occurrences?

I didn't say that. And neither did Milly btw. You seem to constantly read dialogue that isn't there.
    I was speaking about Milly's suggestion. And given her track history on here, she was making a simple helpful suggestion. One that, I at least, took with the idea that she implied (without needing to state the obvious) was done with permission and a sense of consideration. Note she never once used the language you refer to.

It's neither simple nor helpful. It's an obnoxious thing to do in spring on someone else's land. Of things she never mentioned avoiding livestock, and asking for permission. So, never used the lanuage you refer to either. :)

Ireland is badly served for keeping dogs as pets. There are no dedicated public dog parks. If you don't have a hundred acres yourself, it is difficult to exercise a dog properly without being a pest to someone else.

Places top of the list to avoid are residential areas and farms.

Industrial estates without people in them would be slightly better. Your own land is top of the list.

Pwurple you really are picking up these comments all the wrong way but sure ill leave it with you

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bradt Pitt

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

As a staffie owner I know the issues.

Basically your kinda stuck.
    Legally the dog must be on a leash and muzzeled in public places.

While they generally are very docile dogs, they have the capability to do a lot of damage and people who don't know the dog are afraid of that, and IMO rightly so.

I have a long leash for mine, and she's not always muzzeled.

Fields are not really an option as a field is generally part of a farm, and coming from a farming background farmers don't appreciate people and especially people with dog's on their land without permission.

Some people have made suggestions, but personally I'd not be letting the dog off the leash in a public place, no matter what time of the day it is. Things can turn very quickly.

If you knew a tillage farmer with no livestock near the field that may be an option.

Of things she never mentioned avoiding livestock, and asking for permission. So, never used the lanuage you refer to either. :)
    I know, that's why I said 'implied'.
    She never said letting the dog loose around livestock or not asking permission. Given her usual tone on boards, you could have gone with the benefit of the doubt than take it to an extreme that wasn't implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jesus, what's with the aggression on Cork City forum lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Jesus, what's with the aggression on Cork City forum lately?

SHUT UP! WHO ASKED YOU ANYWAY?!?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

It must be the rain like... Causing everyone to be grumpy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Clearly the dangerous streets flowing with blood, vomit and urine has had an effect on us all and now we must be confrontational at all times online as well.

See and I was just saying it didn't like town...so dirty!!!

Heres something to make ye laugh no more dog talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULaZ2I26pnc

Advertisement