Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to study engineering??

Options
  • 25-03-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello!
    I'm a current leaving cert student from Galway and I'm in a bit of a predicament..! My heart is set on engineering and I'm aiming pretty high (520+)! I just don't know where to do it. I kinda want to get out of Galway... bit sick of the place... And the lads from school who are thinking of going studying engineering in Galway (NUIG) , I'm not really fond of them I must say.. 5 years and I have had enough of them!! I don't want to add on another 4/5 with them.. I need a break..

So then, I was thinking of Dublin (UCD) as I know some up there already and they love it and some I know who are going to the college are sound out. BUT.... It is very very very expensive... And I'm wondering whether it's worth it.. You know 2 hour train journey up and down most weekends... And there is also the fear of being left alone there which would probably make it an even longer 4 to 5 years then with that Galway gang...

So I'm looking for any advice whatsoever on what I should do. Like I'd like to know which is the better college for engineering, studying abroad option, social life, accomodation, day to day life there and anything else that would help.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

NUIG from what I've heard has a great engineering school, especially in the likes of biomedical and civil engineering. All the courses and degrees are virtually the same but you should decide whether you want to do one year common or more. For example, TCD has 2 years common whereas UCD has 1. I'm not too sure about NUIG but take a look at course structures and different engineering branches that are available in each college.

If you're happy with the NUIG course, I think from your circumstances, it would probably be best to go there! Finding accommodation in Dublin is getting harder and more expensive each year and in TCD for example, after first year, you HAVE to find somewhere to stay. Galway, in my opinion, has the best social life and us Dubliners tend to flock there for RAG week so don't worry about that.

Remember, you can do your basic engineering degree in NUIG, save up the money and then go for a masters to Dublin or even abroad! This is just going to be four years so go where you feel you will be comfortable and best for your prospects.

Advertisement