Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

• 25-03-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭

So rumours surfaced last week that Sony are working on an upgraded PlayStation 4 with a better GPU/CPU with native 4K support and will help the performance with the VR headset.
    Having a launch PS4 that's noises as hell, I will probably upgrade to it when it's released, also for any players with a 4K TV native support from the PS4 means there should be no upscaling lag on games etc.
    So is anyone else interested in upgrading if this releases?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

It's interesting but unless there are seriously good trade in values available for the existing version, I won't be going near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

No definitely not.
    Sony can well and truly f off if they decide to do something like that.
    I only bought the PS4 last September.
    I don't want an upgrade.
    They need to start making decent games for the console they already have ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,477 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ditto.

Only have it 9 months and only two games.

No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yes if the spec is right,as in can expect the vast majority of games to run at 1080p 60fps on it.

If thats not the case i think its a totally pointless exercise. A small improvement in performance would not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Absolutely, I'll be pre ordering it. Been wanting a 4K player as well.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yes if the spec is right,as in can expect the vast majority of games to run at 1080p 60fps on it.

If thats not the case i think its a totally pointless exercise. A small improvement in performance would not be enough.

I'm not a techy but can developers make one version of a game that works on both consoles but significantly better on a Ps4. 5?

How much extra work would this take?

Why would they bother if there's a Ps4 vanilla user Base of 45m compared to a few million 4.5s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Id pre order straight away. I have my PS4 since launch and have got my value out of it, more than ready to jump up if the 4.5 was released this year.

noodler wrote: »
    I'm not a techy but can developers make one version of a game that works on both consoles but significantly better on a Ps4. 5?

How much extra work would this take?

Why would they bother if there's a Ps4 vanilla user Base of 45m compared to a few million 4.5s?

They can just put in graphics options in the games like PC games have. Flick on the extras if you have a 4.5 and leave everything basic if you have a 4. PS4.5 will not be able to do 4k gaming though, not a hope in hell.

Console games are scales as it is so it's very easy to do. Dying Light got better textures and lighting effects added later by patches on PS4 and Xbox One. All these games are buil on PCs first and then scaled to each console by adjusting the settings and then locking in what they think is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

You know I was thinking the PS4 Slim was overdue.
    I was surprised to hear it was a PS4K but depending on what it offers as I was already expecting to go for a slim which is not here now I don't see why not - depending on the price of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think they are trying the apple models ie iPhone 6 and 6s, they know some of their community will upgrade, I suspect it will launch at the same time as the VR, as per compatability I suspect gMe publishers will offer patches to take advantage of the extra graphics and processing power on offer with the 4.5

• Advertisement

I suppose, even if you have.4.5 or 4.75 or whatever i still find it hard to square why a developer would want to put in extra work for a minority of newer edition console owners when they make up a small number of customers.

Maybe the improvements are so small that they don't require devs to have massive development resources on them but then the whole thing seems pointless.

Of course, if it's all about 4K video then fair enough.

noodler wrote: »
    I suppose, even if you have.4.5 or 4.75 or whatever i still find it hard to square why a developer would want to put in extra work for a minority of newer edition console owners when they make up a small number of customers.

Maybe the improvements are so small that they don't require devs to have massive development resources on them but then the whole thing seems pointless.

What extra work are they really doing, most games are all cross platform now. They build the game on a PC first then scale it to consoles.

The PC has the best looking version, the PS4 is scaled down and then the Xbox One version is scaled down a bit more to average out the overall performance.

It's not 3 different builds from the ground up. Todays consoles are just locked down PCs compares to the last gen hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No chance of me upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

I have a PS4 collecting dust. Have 6 games for it and haven't played it in months. No way I'll upgrade. PC gaming is just infinitely better and I'd rather invest into a new gfx card. The only game I'm looking forward to is Uncharted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, not to be upgrading, it's a foolish idea.
    The whole point of consoles is that you are freed from the yoke of upgrading your machine adhoc and developers know precisely what hardware they are writing for.

That said, we've been sold hardware revisions from the start of this hobby, from motherboard and chip revisions to wholesale OS replacements, if an updated PS4 was as innocuous as the shift from PS2 to PS2 Slim, or PS3 to PS3 Superslim I don't see what the problem will be, as long as the consumer who doesn't update isn't made to suffer.
    In fact, hardware revisions have reduced capacity in the past, such as removing PS2 compatibility with the update from the 60gb PS2 or taking out the HDD bay and making the PS2 Slim, as well as removing ports from various evolutions of the PS1 and PS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

If the new ps4.5/4K whatever can do 1080p60 I would be all over it. I love my ps4 and have it since launch but I feel the current gpu in both ps4 and xb1 just isn't strong enough. It's feels like we've reached their limit very quickly graphically. When the specs where originally announced I feared they would struggle for 1080p60 and they do for the majority of games.

As for 4k games that is a long way off the only thing 4k about the new iteration will be media playback

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Seems to be all but confirmed now. Can't wait for E3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Interesting read on any potential upgrade of the hardware http://flip.it/GTBz8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm pretty content with my PS4, and the machine has hardly had time to mature.
    Remembering the annual performance increase that came from good coding on the PS, PS2 and PS3 I don't see why the PS4 is going to be any different.
    I played Bloodborne again last night and it's spectacular still, and I would expect DSIII to be no different.
    No way I'm going to be compelled into an upgrade path with my console.

Only thing and I do mean the only thing, is if The Last Guardian is in some way enhanced on the new hardware.
    As much of a Nintendo fanboy as I am, I am an ICO/SotC fanboy first and foremost, if the long, long, looong awaited TLG came with improvements to a PS4.5 I'd probably invest.

Edit:
    More speculation from link
    Pretty similar to what Microsoft did with the 360, shifting to a new hardware revision that offered HDMI, original range of machines didn't have the port, this article suggests that the new PS4 console will be a slim version and include the hardware update to do little more than output 4k, both from streaming and downloaded media as well as compatible games.

Seems to be all but confirmed now. Can't wait for E3.

Yeah seems to be tipped for a 2017 release.

Not bad, PS3 released here 2006 and the PS4 in 2013. 7 years for early adopters.

PS4 is an under powered conservitive console, in 2017 it will be 4 years old so it's makes sense. Part of the issue is that is was just bad timing of the gen 8 console releases as it happened just on the cusp of a major jump in tech hardware that had been stagnent for a long time. It could not have been forseen and people were more than ready to jump up at the time. It's just that the jump was smaller than expected.

Consoles are going the way of phones now in a way. More frequent hardware re freshes but all the old stuff still works fine but if you want the latest and greatest experiences you either put up or step up.

It's already happened the WiiU, it was so far behind hardware wise most third parties stopped supporting it as the other two were much closer in specs and coding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

No cant see the need for it, PS5 will be my next console

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd like to say no but I clearly will. Damn me and my early adopter tendencies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm pretty content with my PS4, and the machine has hardly had time to mature.
    Remembering the annual performance increase that came from good coding on the PS, PS2 and PS3 I don't see why the PS4 is going to be any different.
    I played Bloodborne again last night and it's spectacular still, and I would expect DSIII to be no different.
    No way I'm going to be compelled into an upgrade path with my console.

Only thing and I do mean the only thing, is if The Last Guardian is in some way enhanced on the new hardware.
    As much of a Nintendo fanboy as I am, I am an ICO/SotC fanboy first and foremost, if the long, long, looong awaited TLG came with improvements to a PS4.5 I'd probably invest.

Edit:
    More speculation from link
    Pretty similar to what Microsoft did with the 360, shifting to a new hardware revision that offered HDMI, original range of machines didn't have the port, this article suggests that the new PS4 console will be a slim version and include the hardware update to do little more than output 4k, both from streaming and downloaded media as well as compatible games.

The PS2 and 3 were totally custom hardware though,the gpu especially in the PS2 and the processer in the 3. That meant that there was a learning curve for devs and we saw gradual improvements as they got to grips with it.

The PS4 is different,its pretty much apu hardware from PC. Unified memory being the main difference. So it should peak a lot sooner as most devs are already familiar with this type of tech having coded for it on PC bar the memory configuration.

The GPU in the PS4 is based on the AMD 7870,a mid to high tier gpu released in 2012 and the cpu is is based on a low power mobile part. This was never a recipie for pushing high fidelity games for a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

No. Going on my usual pace of when I buy consoles, I'll buy the 4.5 when the PlayStation 6 is coming out.

dohboy wrote: »
    No. Going on my usual pace of when I buy consoles, I'll buy the 4.5 when the PlayStation 6 is coming out.

I'm still waiting for agreement amongst my peers that the PS2 is finally retro.... the debate continues....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Don't think I will, dislike this whole upgrade nonsense with consoles, if I want to be upgrading mid generation I'd build a gaming PC.

Probably wait for the PS5.

I know I'll sound like an entitled spanner but..

If they do this, and it splits the userbase with games that run significantly better on the latest version, and I still don't think that'll happen, then I won't be buying a ps5.

The ps4 cost me 400 euro less than a year ago. People can tell me buyer beware or capitalism or whatever but if won't be getting burned a second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I probably will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I think this is less about the games and more about new components, and a drive from Netflix to up their content providers to 4K compatible devices... Just my gut feel but as before we were on track to normally see a PS4 Slim around this time, but with Netflix pushing 4K it might have seemed like a small step to bundle both.

Games I think will be pretty much the same, we might see the type of enhancement we saw on a PS2 with rounding etc but it's more about the content and possibly boosting it for the VR folk. Won't be one of them myself though, too likely to pull the damn box onto the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Taltos wrote: »
    I think this is less about the games and more about new components, and a drive from Netflix to up their content providers to 4K compatible devices... Just my gut feel but as before we were on track to normally see a PS4 Slim around this time, but with Netflix pushing 4K it might have seemed like a small step to bundle both.

Games I think will be pretty much the same, we might see the type of enhancement we saw on a PS2 with rounding etc but it's more about the content and possibly boosting it for the VR folk. Won't be one of them myself though, too likely to pull the damn box onto the floor.

This is my feeling too. Assuming this isn't a load of bollox to wrongfoot MS. Sony are going to go with the die shrink anyways so why not get added benefit from it by charging more for some extra capabilities (4K media, HDR) that need little more investment. Rather than price cuts with a PS4 Slim, you get to up charge for a PS4K.

Advertisement