Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sony are handling this whole Neo thing rather poorly. I mean the Osborne Effect is already at play. Why admit to it and not announce? The only conclusion I come to is that the price will be pretty much what we're paying now. If the Neo was expected to launch in October/November at say 600 euro plus, you could announce it Monday and be fairly sure that it won't impact on a large majority of your potential customers. If it's coming in at 300-400, well then that's a different story. You'd be insane to purchase now.

It's an interesting (and possibly self destructive) game MS and Sony are playing here. Imagine if MS brand their new Machine as XBtwo on Monday. Four times the power, 500 dollars, backward compatibility and Oculus support with an XBO slim in the 200-250 dollar range. That'd pretty much make **** of Sony's future Neo announcement. They'd jump a generation ahead in most consumers minds. Thing MS has the financial strength to do this if they've the will. They're saving a whole lot in Mobile now. The caveat for me is that I question Nadellas commitment to Xbox's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Console confirmed by Andrew House but won't be shown at E3 at all. House confirms the upgraded PS4 will include a faster processor, 4K resolution support, and improved graphics.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/10/11902092/sony-playstation-4-neo-upgrade-confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

With MS going first as usual at E3, if they announce the X1.5 whatever will if force Sonys hand a day later.

They are really sitting tight on Neo which is supposedly due on the shelves in 3 months even after House saying that both the PS4 and Neo will be on sale side by side until the PS5 is released.

It's going to be hard to show of PSVR on stage as you have to be actually wearing the headset to see what it can do. Like trying to show off a £D TV to someone with no 3D glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

With MS going first as usual at E3, if they announce the X1.5 whatever will if force Sonys hand a day later.

They are really sitting tight on Neo which is supposedly due on the shelves in 3 months even after House saying that both the PS4 and Neo will be on sale side by side until the PS5 is released.

It's going to be hard to show of PSVR on stage as you have to be actually wearing the headset to see what it can do. Like trying to show off a £D TV to someone with no 3D glasses.

Won't stop them wasting about half an hour of the E3 stage time with the stupid thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

I had held off buying the current gen consoles and was seriously considering a PS4 given its exclusive titles and better performance. But I'm content now to wait and see what the Neo offers and its price tag.

It'll be interesting to see whether this is the last 'traditional' console generation as some are speculating and where the main players go from here. It is entirely possible that we are seeing the start of the iterative upgrade process where instead of an entirely new console appearing every 10 years with its own development cycle, we see incremental upgrades to the core system. It would be particularly interesting if the systems became more modular allowing users to pick and choose their upgrades and price points the way PC users can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If they were to do it, it would probably just be a screen showing what the user is seeing along with "If you turn your head left" with the wearer turning their head and the screen showing the camera turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

So rumours surfaced last week that Sony are working on an upgraded PlayStation 4 with a better GPU/CPU with native 4K support and will help the performance with the VR headset.
    Having a launch PS4 that's noises as hell, I will probably upgrade to it when it's released, also for any players with a 4K TV native support from the PS4 means there should be no upscaling lag on games etc.
    So is anyone else interested in upgrading if this releases?

Nope, going to sell my ps4 now, and get a PC. No point in owning a console any more with the quick refreshments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Not a hope it will be 4k native anyway. It will simply be an improved CPU and GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Not a hope it will be 4k native anyway. It will simply be an improved CPU and GPU.

It's for 1080p 60fps going forward and for maintaining enough fps for VR games as the PS4 as is cannot do basic VR at a reasonable level from early hands on reports.

With Neo there should be no more games running at 30fps. The Neo will upscale some stuff to 4k like the way the 360 did at the end of last gen, it was a 720p console that upscaled to 1080p towards the end of it's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's for 1080p 60fps going forward and for maintaining enough fps for VR games as the PS4 as is cannot do basic VR at a reasonable level from early hands on reports.

With Neo there should be no more games running at 30fps. The Neo will upscale some stuff to 4k like the way the 360 did at the end of last gen, it was a 720p console that upscaled to 1080p towards the end of it's life.

There shouldn't be but there will be, compared to PC Ultra 60fps, PS4 runs at Medium 30. I think games will be bumped to High/Ultra 30 before they run at Medium/High 60. Can't see the GPU being strong enough to rock High/Ultra 60 myself but I'm always being proven wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

New version of the XB1 (XB1 Slim I believe it's called) has been leaked and will be at E3. 40% smaller, power brick built-in, 2TB HDD and support for 4K video playback. Don't know if that's just for new 4K blurays or 4K resolution for games.

Considering how long talk of the PS4K has been going on for, MS has now jumped ahead of Sony with their version and Sony won't even have their version at E3.

They dropped the ball there big time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The version of X1 that leaked appears to be a far more traditional mid-generation revision - smaller console with a few upgrades (bigger HDD, 4K video support etc). Speculation seems to be that Microsoft's big '1.5' upgrade will be next year instead, again like Sony further in the future.

I think it's silly for either company to play their cards on the subject of a major revision until they're confident of the final form, price and release date rather than being forced into some pointless E3 arms race. They're both coming, just probably a good few months away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm not surprised but Microsoft has announced the Scorpio as the next generation Xbox. It's not launching till late next year but I'm wondering have they wrong footed Sony. Is the incremental update for Neo going to hurt them down the line. How quickly can they conceivably get a PS5 out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

I'm not surprised but Microsoft has announced the Scorpio as the next generation Xbox. It's not launching till late next year but I'm wondering have they wrong footed Sony. Is the incremental update for Neo going to hurt them down the line. How quickly can they conceivably get a PS5 out the door

Sony will just announce a stronger ps4 simples

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Microsoft just burned Sony who were expecting just the slimmed down Xbox One S with 4K support etc I doubt they saw the Next gen Xbox being announced! This could well be similar to when the 360 came to market with Sony had delays in getting the PS3 out thus giving MS to get a strong lead on Sony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

The more I think about it the more I think MS has the right idea with the next Xbox. I'd be all for 5 year refreshes that bring about a nice bit of power, since BC is maintained from here on out.

If it wasn't for me being invested into the PS4 already and preferring the PlayStation exclusives I'd be seriously considering the next Xbox.

The neo doesn't seem compelling enough to me, needs to be more powerful. But, that's all based on rumour and speculation so far. All could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I think MS has the right idea with the next Xbox. I'd be all for 5 year refreshes that bring about a nice bit of power, since BC is maintained from here on out.

If it wasn't for me being invested into the PS4 already and preferring the PlayStation exclusives I'd be seriously considering the next Xbox.

The neo doesn't seem compelling enough to me, needs to be more powerful. But, that's all based on rumour and speculation so far. All could change.

I don't think they're going to release it now at the rumoured specs as it wouldn't make much sense for them considering a year later MS will have launched theirs, and considering it's all AMD I don't think there's any reason for them not to match MS. Match the performance release around the same time, and don't mention it again until it's near. Personally I think it's insane that MS are announcing the new system over a year in advance.

Might consider getting an S now as it'll make a great 4K blu ray player and will a lot better for 4K netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Varik wrote: »
    I don't think they're going to release it now at the rumoured specs as it wouldn't make much sense for them considering a year later MS will have launched theirs, and considering it's all AMD I don't think there's any reason for them not to match MS. Match the performance release around the same time, and don't mention it again until it's near. Personally I think it's insane that MS are announcing the new system over a year in advance.

Might consider getting an S now as it'll make a great 4K blu ray player and will a lot better for 4K netflix.

Haven't Sony sent detailed Neo specs to all developers? If so, I would imagine that means the specs are locked down/too far into development to change now. I think it could be a case where MS have made a bold move to try and out jump Sony with the refresh. I may be wrong but I've read that when everything is locked down (as in the case with Sony), a complete spec change would not be possible/horrifically expensive. If that turns out to be the case maybe Sony can overclock the internals in the same way MS did when the One launched.

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Haven't Sony sent detailed Neo specs to all developers? If so, I would imagine that means the specs are locked down/too far into development to change now. I think it could be a case where MS have made a bold move to try and out jump Sony with the refresh. I may be wrong but I've read that when everything is locked down (as in the case with Sony), a complete spec change would not be possible/horrifically expensive. If that turns out to be the case maybe Sony can overclock the internals in the same way MS did when the One launched.

Why would it, it's not like they're changing it from the PS2's Emotion Engine to the PS3's Cell. All X86 still, and same OpenGL based API.

"hey AMD we want the better stuff"

"ok"

Sony even changed to GDDR5 for the memory much later for the existing PS4, and MS added the esram in response. From the game developers side there isn't much change, if it was such an imposition we'd not have PC gaming at all.

The trouble is surely cost, though? Whatever about the Scorpio and whether or not Sony will bump up the Neo to similar specs, would that not drive the cost of the Neo much higher, as will be likely with the cost of the Scorpio?

I'd rather they go with what they currently have planned for it (focus on framerate rather than resolution, 4K video playback, larger HDD), get it released this year and keep the cost down (as people will still have to pay for PSVR if they wanted it too). Then skip trying to match Scorpio and go for a full PS5.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    The trouble is surely cost, though? Whatever about the Scorpio and whether or not Sony will bump up the Neo to similar specs, would that not drive the cost of the Neo much higher, as will be likely with the cost of the Scorpio?

I'd rather they go with what they currently have planned for it (focus on framerate rather than resolution, 4K video playback, larger HDD), get it released this year and keep the cost down (as people will still have to pay for PSVR if they wanted it too). Then skip trying to match Scorpio and go for a full PS5.

Cost would effect it no more than the Scorpio, the neo is about 30% below performance wise so how much lower a price would be needed to compete in a years time.

Even if it was a mistake if MS are doing the same then at least they're both wrong so no one is at a disadvantage commercially, people tend to avoid loss a lot harder than try to make a profit.

The scorpio could be MS PS3 moment price wise, or more to do with their PC business and trying to push windows 10/store in the living room against steam and the steambox.

Personally a neo which would be more PS4 slim plus rather than PS4.5 would be my vote, and then still release a competitor to the scorpio. Additional performance might help push VR while still being a cheaper option to the scorpio and outperforming their budget One S option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

This is a funny one. I liked the idea of the Neo but it now does appear very underpowered compared to the Scoripio. If the neo isn't being released until next year its basically going to be going head to head with a much more powerful console. It will be like the Xbone v ps4 situation at launch repeated except in reverse.

Sony seems to be in a bit of a bind now. If the dev kits (?) have gone out you would image they cant really change THAT much on the Neo specs apart from small increases or else they scrap the whole idea and go for big release next year - is that even possible?. The alternative is to release the Neo a lot earlier and get it into the 2016 window - again I don't know if that is even possible.

I cant see many people buying a neo next year when a more powerful (albeit more expensive) Scorpio will be available around the same time frame. I'm including myself in this I would of always been a "sony man" in relation to gaming but I don't think I would buy a Neo over the Scorpio if the muted specs are true

I think MS have done a number on Sony here

I think releasing the Neo this year (which I'd say they'll have to do to properly get PSVR up and running) would definitely push it ahead of the XBox One S, and they'd be better off doing that than holding off until next year and trying to match Scorpio, seeing as how most people don't have 4K tvs anyway. Then like I said, just focus on a proper PS5 even if it's then a year after Scorpio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Extremely hypothetical situation here:

Could Sony have 2 consoles in development right now. The first is the Neo - more powerful than the PS4, comes out holiday 2016, trounces all over the Xbox One S.

The second could be a competitor to Project Scorpio. Sony let MS tout their specs for the next 12 months. Then at E3 (or a Sony event), Sony come out with their competitor to the Scorpio i.e. basically doing what MS have just tried to do this year at E3.

This way, their modestly more powerful Neo will keep sales high in the face of the One S and then the successor will continue that trend in 2017 by being more powerful than the Scorpio.

Have I lost the plot??

Microsoft have said that the Scorpio is purely a 4k console, there's not benefit over a regular Xbox One at 1080p, all Sony have to do is make sure they can nail 1080p at 60fps for a few years and they'll have the superior 1080p machine, which is a far larger market.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Extremely hypothetical situation here:

Could Sony have 2 consoles in development right now. The first is the Neo - more powerful than the PS4, comes out holiday 2016, trounces all over the Xbox One S.

The second could be a competitor to Project Scorpio. Sony let MS tout their specs for the next 12 months. Then at E3 (or a Sony event), Sony come out with their competitor to the Scorpio i.e. basically doing what MS have just tried to do this year at E3.

This way, their modestly more powerful Neo will keep sales high in the face of the One S and then the successor will continue that trend in 2017 by being more powerful than the Scorpio.

Have I lost the plot??

All depends on the long term aspects of consoles.
    Are we going to get minor upgrades like ugh apple do from now on or are these consoles due to the whole 4k/VR thing.
    Nobody really knows. Scorpio was undoubtedly a response to the 4.5 & the poor Xbox one launch/performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Microsoft have said that the Scorpio is purely a 4k console, there's not benefit over a regular Xbox One at 1080p, all Sony have to do is make sure they can nail 1080p at 60fps for a few years and they'll have the superior 1080p machine, which is a far larger market.

This confuses me, surely lighting effects and shadows and other details would still be better, regardless of it being 4K or not?

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    This confuses me, surely lighting effects and shadows and other details would still be better, regardless of it being 4K or not?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

It'll only be better if the game is designed to be, which it won't.

My interpretation was that all games will have 2 modes, 900p/1080p and 4k.

If you're on Xbox One, Xbox One S you play the 900p/1080p mode

If you're on Scorpio with a 1080p TV, you play the 900p/1080p mode, if you've a 4k TV you play the 4k mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

It'll only be better if the game is designed to be, which it won't.

My interpretation was that all games will have 2 modes, 900p/1080p and 4k.

If you're on Xbox One, Xbox One S you play the 900p/1080p mode

If you're on Scorpio with a 1080p TV, you play the 900p/1080p mode, if you've a 4k TV you play the 4k mode.

Supersampling could also come into it if staying on a 1080 TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

That's exactly it. PS4K should look at targetting 1080/60 and let the PS5 in 2019 worry about 4K/60.

Advertisement