Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

I thought I read that PS4 will have an external USB "box of tricks" that upgrades your PS4 to Neo spec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

qrx wrote: »
    I thought I read that PS4 will have an external USB "box of tricks" that upgrades your PS4 to Neo spec?

Have t heard that and it doesn't seem remotely feasible. Are you thinking of the breakout box? That simply converts the image to a format your tv can understand. It adds nothing in terms of power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

qrx wrote: »

The PSVR comes with a breakout box that will do some modification to the image sent to the goggles.
    Just how much processing it does is not yet known but the box is actively cooled so it's doing something fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It clearly is. You don't understand. Your argument is that console by their nature are "lightweight" and focused and therefore can eek out more performance from lesser hardware. This is no longer applicable. It's doesn't matter that a PC is running MS Windows Super Bloat Ware edition. The games are essentially coding down to the metal with the recent version of DX. You could stick exactly the same hardware and put Sony's PS operation system and Windows and you'll have the same performance.

I don't understand my own point?

Again not my point, wasn't speaking about optimization at all. Not about eking out that last few percent of performance, my point was there isn't going to be games that require more than the PS4 has.

The PSVR comes with a breakout box that will do some modification to the image sent to the goggles.
    Just how much processing it does is not yet known but the box is actively cooled so it's doing something fast.

It's the image sent to the tv, not the goggles. We know. The answer is none.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    I don't understand my own point?

Again not my point, wasn't speaking about optimization at all. Not about eking out that last few percent of performance, my point was there isn't going to be games that require more than the PS4 has.

Apologies if I took you up wrong. I'm saying tha what the ps4 has is extremely little. It's so basic that the I doubt it has the performance to do anything other than the most rudimentary "experiences" well. As I said above, most of the demos were running 60fps. This is well below the threshold needed for an a smooth VR experiences. 60fps as demoed doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Do you lads remember the talk on the web just a while after launch of the PS4 that after a year or so Sony would release a firmware that would clock out the PS4 and increase its power by about 50% and crush the Xbo . I wonder what ever happened with that ,aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I don't think the PS4 at launch could run overclocked as it was very hot after playing for only a short while. Its small compact design probably came at a price.

I don't think the PS4 at launch could run overclocked as it was very hot after playing for only a short while. Its small compact design probably came at a price.

A few PS4's ran hot.
    My launch console was whisper quite . I remember a few ppl on here mentioned that their console was noisy ,but the feedback from owners on here was that the majority where very quite. I bought another new PS4 a year after launch that was far noisier than my launch console.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A few PS4's ran hot.
    My launch console was whisper quite . I remember a few ppl on here mentioned that their console was noisy ,but the feedback from owners on here was that the majority where very quite. I bought another new PS4 a year after launch that was far noisier than my launch console.

TLOU caused my launch model to sound like a jet engine at times, but it never ran worryingly hot, it was fine though when I got the CUH-1200.

• Advertisement

A few PS4's ran hot.
    I have never actually come across a whisper quiet launch PS4. Although I can't comment about the revision they made a while ago. Remember the revision where the thermals were a bit better and the gloss exterior was change to matte finish along with some change with the power button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I assume that the Neo will play VR better then the ps4

why has this thread been allowed to continue while the e3 one was closed?

oh wait... now i remember

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

dunworth1 wrote: »

why has this thread been allowed to continue while the e3 one was closed?

oh wait... now i remember

Mod note: please don't drag any issues you have with decisions in other forums in here. This thread is exclusively for discussion of the Playstation Neo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

Seems with all these leaks and such it's a worrying time for Sony. I and many others like me will standby for developments with bated breath. I'm expecting naught but problems from confirmation of the price tag to hearing about how it's running.

I just can't understand why Microsoft appear to be handling this so much better (Scorpio) than Sony with the Neo?

What is it that MS is doing right that Sony isn't?

Last year they seemed to be at the top of their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Limited availability and bad word of mouth could bury the PSVR to CEX window display hell.

:pac::pac::pac:

A few PS4's ran hot.
    Xenji wrote: »
    TLOU caused my launch model to sound like a jet engine at times, but it never ran worryingly hot, it was fine though when I got the CUH-1200.

The only game that makes my PS4 sound like a turbine is Doom. Every single other game is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

My xbox one ran hot playing minecraft :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My xbox one ran hot playing minecraft :D

Must have been caked in dog hairs if it did :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Must have been caked in dog hairs if it did :rolleyes:

Was covered in wool... im a country boy me arrrgh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Xenji wrote: »

Yeah my launch still sounds like a jet taking off when sitting in menus of the last 3 call of duty's once it goes into a multiplayer game it goes quite, I did strip it down clean it out and replace the thermal paste but made no difference, they have refined the motherboard design and the CUH-1200 models are I believe whisper quite!
    I was going to upgrade to that model but decided to hold out and see what the Neo will be like and if it will run cooler and more silent then my launch ps4!
    I have an Xbox one and I love that it is silent even in games, it's just all my buddies are on PS4 so will use that fo the foreseeable future even if the Scorpio kicks the Neo's ass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Poor optimization will make any hardware run hot including PC's.

Good few PS+ games made the system heat up. Sign a game has been rushed to meet a release date in my experience.

My launch console very quiet,although ive seen enouvh complaints on here about loud PS4's to realise there must be/have been an issue with some of them. A small thing like the thermal paste not going on properly could make these issues appear. As with any manufacturing process not every unit is going to be perfect. On the plus side they dont seem to be failing though.

EDIT: Just and extra observation,i noticed a lot of times that this bad optimisation will show up in the menu area of games. Warframe also does it when on your ship,when there is not even much happening compared to when your in the action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kinect 2 has a fan in it too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Some of the worst culprits are menu/start screens on PC as devs sometimes don't lock these and you've got a PC running at 100% to give you a start-screen/menu with fps in the triple digits.

I sold my launch ps4 a while back, to fund the neo...but it was whisper quiet. It didn't get heavy use to be fair, but always sounded quiet and cool. I'd be concerned about the cooling of the neo tbh, for all its visual faults, the Xbox one is a well ventilated and well cooled console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Myrddin wrote: »
    I sold my launch ps4 a while back, to fund the neo...but it was whisper quiet. It didn't get heavy use to be fair, but always sounded quiet and cool. I'd be concerned about the cooling of the neo tbh, for all its visual faults, the Xbox one is a well ventilated and well cooled console.

thats very early to sell up considering they haven't even announced a it yet.

my ps4 gets load playing uncharted 4 and doom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

. I'd be concerned about the cooling of the neo tbh, for all its visual faults, the Xbox one is a well ventilated and well cooled console.

Partly because 30% of the current X1 is empty space inside if you open it up for a look and the has it's PSU in an external brick. Very easy to keep cool due to the less efficient design and large size.

The PS4 PSU is internal so yes it will get hotter and noiser than the One. The One S has the PSU internal and look at all the grills in it compared to the PS4 for cooling.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    thats very early to sell up considering they haven't even announced a it yet.

A gamble alright, but the value of them is going to drop when the neo releases.

A gamble alright, but the value of them is going to drop when the neo releases.

I'd say so. It all depends on price. If the price is high we might not see that many PS4's enter the 2nd hand market.

I'm gonna call the Neo in at €450 . That's why Sony are tight-lipped . If they announced the price it would stop ppl buying the current PS4 . Sony are gonna slow production down of the current console and clear as much stock as possible.

I sold my Darth Vader ,new console to make way for Neo. I have another PS 4 for use. I will keep this one either way for my sons use. I just want Neo for vr .

Sony will release both the Neo and vr at the same time as it does not make sense to bring vr to the market if it runs like crap on the current PS 4.

That's my 2¢��

• Advertisement

I'd have to agree, hard to imagine anything but a dual release of the Neo & VR. As for the price point, I can see the Neo coming in at €450/€400...anything less & I'll be pleasantly surprised. With that, a price reduction of the current model would make sense too.

I got the guts of €300 for my complete in box launch model (a mint example), so the jump to the Neo won't be too painful. I wouldn't envisage getting anywhere near €300 for a current model after the formal announcement of the Neo.

Advertisement