Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

I can't see myself buying it. I don't have a 4k tv or monitor yet so the 4k bluray player is a waste. If the performance is significantly better I might sell my current ps4 and buy the new one. Has anything been leaked about how big the hard drive is? If I had to guess I'd call it 1tb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I can't see myself buying it. I don't have a 4k tv or monitor yet so the 4k bluray player is a waste. If the performance is significantly better I might sell my current ps4 and buy the new one. Has anything been leaked about how big the hard drive is? If I had to guess I'd call it 1tb

4K is of zero interest to me...I want it for 1080p @60fps (minimum), and for VR. Re the HDD, I'd say it'll ship with 1TB...anything less is a joke at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Wonder will they bundle neo and vr and give a decent trade price to those with ps4 currently

Wonder will they bundle neo and vr and give a decent trade price to those with ps4 currently

I've wondered about a bundle myself. Trade ins I seriously doubt, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PSVR with the Move controllers set is already €400. You are looking at at least €800 with a Neo.

I'd just go out and get a HTC Vive for that money as I have a PC for it.

• Advertisement

The PSVR with the Move controllers set is already €400. You are looking at at least €800 with a Neo.

Yup, hard to imagine they'll bother with an €800 price tag. It could end up looking bad, & causing confusion too...so I'd say they'll have all three products live alongside each other, rather than complicating things with bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Yeah, at €800 they are possibly going consider a PC at that price. I know it would be just the PC for the moment but It would be something many would consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Last year I was all for getting psvr but now i'm not to sure.

I think I'd be more interested in a vive or rift really as it's more open.

It's just the price is still to high for me at the moment

Yeah, at €800 they are possibly going consider a PC at that price. I know it would be just the PC for the moment but It would be something many would consider.

I reckon the scorpio is gonna be a pricey console given the specs they talked about. Why would anyone consider a console going forward given the prices we will be looking at. At least the vr is seperate and optional the neo might be 400 but if we solidly get 1080 and 60 fps its value for money imo.

In saying that i wont be buying vr at launch realistically will cost over 500 with camera and move and tbh i think could be another gaming fad.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Last year I was all for getting psvr but now i'm not to sure.

I think I'd be more interested in a vive or rift really as it's more open.

It's just the price is still to high for me at the moment

No doubt the hardware behind those two will be better...but the cost of entry is significantly more than PSVR. For a complete newcomer (ie, no pc, ps4, or headset):

PS4 Neo + PSVR = circa €800/€850 all in
    PC + Rift = circa €1300/€1400 all in (Rift alone is €600, so €700/€800 for a pc)
    PC + Vive = circa €1600/€1700 all in (Vive alone is €900, so allowing €700/€800 for a pc)

Those estimates are not even for recommended specs pc wise...a top gpu card today will cost over €400.

I think for now, until VR is truly mainstream and affordable...PS VR is the way to go. That said, I've no tried it yet...so I'll reserve total judgement until then. I hope they have a few demo units around when it goes on sale, as I wouldn't buy it without having tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I have a ps4 and a 4K tv, will upgrading to the neo improve much on my tv ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

ziggyman17 wrote: »

Considering it hasn't even been revealed yet, unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'll purchase the Neo at some stage but no way am I selling my PS4. I've always wanted a second unit. My OH a demon for the box-sets so a second TV is essential but dragging the PS4 up and down the stairs is a pain in the arse. Playstation TV sounds too unreliable, so the Neo is the perfect excuse for some unnecessary spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I'll purchase the Neo at some stage but no way am I selling my PS4. I've always wanted a second unit. My OH a demon for the box-sets so a second TV is essential but dragging the PS4 up and down the stairs is a pain in the arse. Playstation TV sounds too unreliable, so the Neo is the perfect excuse for some unnecessary spending.

DVD Player?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

ziggyman17 wrote: »

It'll made no difference, games will be upscaled to 4k but it's still the same as 1080p in terms of sharpness or whatever, all the pixels are just 4 times larger as 4k is 4 times the pixel count of 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

It'll made no difference, games will be upscaled to 4k but it's still the same as 1080p in terms of sharpness or whatever, all the pixels are just 4 times larger as 4k is 4 times the pixel count of 1080p

I wonder if the upscaling will be done on the console side or the tv side and what impacts those different situations would have. The ps4k will obviously have a hdmi 4k out so could the upscaling be done on the ps4?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I wonder if the upscaling will be done on the console side or the tv side and what impacts those different situations would have. The ps4k will obviously have a hdmi 4k out so could the upscaling be done on the ps4?

4k tvs will already upscale mine does anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Issue for upscaling is online gaming and input lag which is important for FPS/multiplayer gaming I don't think if it up scales to 4K TV on the PS4 or on the TV won't make any difference as it still takes milliseconds to upscale to 4K and in that time you'll be wondering how you died if you shot first! For single player offline gaming it should be fine. I'm not investing in a 4K tv until they can do through 4K native gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

DVD Player?

Nah, it's more about the Smart TV, dominating the living room and being curled up with our two dogs. My marathon gaming sessions interferes too much with that type of luxury so I'm being forced into exile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Issue for upscaling is online gaming and input lag which is important for FPS/multiplayer gaming I don't think if it up scales to 4K TV on the PS4 or on the TV won't make any difference as it still takes milliseconds to upscale to 4K and in that time you'll be wondering how you died if you shot first! For single player offline gaming it should be fine. I'm not investing in a 4K tv until they can do through 4K native gaming
    We have already tested a 4K TV with an Xbox One and it works perfectly.
    It most likely comes down to the upscaler built into the TV.

There was no issue with input lag. I assume it will be the same with the PS4 and PS4 Neo. The TV can do the work if it's a decent brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Saw that like the xbox one s there could be a ps4 slim and a neo in the works, and that they'll either release together, or the slim will debut this autumn and the neo will follow early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Saw that like the xbox one s there could be a ps4 slim and a neo in the works, and that they'll either release together, or the slim will debut this autumn and the neo will follow early next year.

I'm not convinced. Using similar components, the XBS is still not smaller than the current PS4 so I'm not sure they can actually make it much smaller TBH.

The Xbox One could always have been made smaller from day one, that was easy to see once you take the case off, there was enough internal space for the PSU if they re jigged the layout a bit, thus eliminating the power brick straight off.

When you open the PS4 to change out the HDD you can see how packed it is and it's PSU is internal since the start. The PS4 is a very compact device for that it is, I don't think it would be worth the time time and effort to take maybe 10% off the size of it, the Xbox One is the size of the first Xbox or an old VCR player. They may be able to release another version of the PS4 that runs cooler and draws less power like the latest 2nd revision out now but not smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

looking like TGS will see a neo and slim announced according to this article.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/playstation-slim-and-neo-may-be-revealed-at-tokyo-games-show-1324212

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Otacon wrote: »
    I'm not convinced. Using similar components, the XBS is still not smaller than the current PS4 so I'm not sure they can actually make it much smaller TBH.

It makes sense from the point that slim models save on production costs which allows it to be cheaper and more profitable. The parts are getting smaller all the time, so it makes sense to cut out the growing space in the original unit and make a more efficient design. Hardware design is sony's area, so I wouldn't doubt they could reduce the size by a third like they generally do with most slim revisions.

Whether it'll have a 4K blu ray drive is another thing.

No Sony conference at Gamescom, guess we'll see about PGW.

No Sony conference at Gamescom, guess we'll see about PGW.

All the big guys in the know are saying it will be TGS and not before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony copying MS is the only thing that makes sense, just need to see it they repurposed the original specced Neo as a new "slim" and have a higher specced console to compete with MS.

Varik wrote: »
    Sony copying MS is the only thing that makes sense, just need to see it they repurposed the original specced Neo as a new "slim" and have a higher specced console to compete with MS.

I want the higher spec so bad lol

• Advertisement

Apparently this leaked a while ago, first time I'm seeing it though.

neo_leak_1-768x852.jpg

neo_leak_1-768x852.jpg

neo_leak_2-768x876.jpg

neo_leak_2-768x876.jpg

neo_leak_3-768x427.jpg

neo_leak_4-768x430.jpg

neo_leak_5-768x431.jpg

Advertisement