Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Apparently this leaked a while ago, first time I'm seeing it though.

2.3 isn't the Scorpio pushing out 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

2.3 isn't the Scorpio pushing out 8?

Did you have to quote the whole image :eek:

2.3 times the PS4 tflops, not 2.3 tflops. I think it's about 4.2 tflops whilst the scorpio is about 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Titles should support both consoles.

Should isn't a word that gives me hope in that context

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Titles should support both consoles.

Should isn't a word that gives me hope in that context

I think that just means that it is possible the games released after October don't have Neo-specific improvements. They would still be able to be played across both systems but they may not necessarily take advantage of the spec increase on Neo - for example, smaller indie titles that may not have the budget or manpower to add a 'Neo mode' to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The biggest surprise in that for me is the HDD being the same as the original PS4.

500GB is not enough now that so many games are bought digitally (as well as huge patches, DLC etc). They're missing a huge trick by not providing at least a 1TB HDD as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

MS still does the 500gb for the Xbox One S, so there must be a market for it.

Penn wrote: »
    The biggest surprise in that for me is the HDD being the same as the original PS4.

500GB is not enough now that so many games are bought digitally (as well as huge patches, DLC etc). They're missing a huge trick by not providing at least a 1TB HDD as standard.
    Agreed.

I'm all about keeping the cost down, but there's cost saving and then there's cheaping out.

I'm sure people would still buy them, but I constantly find myself running out of space on my PS4 and having to uninstall games. If both companies want to push the ability to download games from their stores and have games libraries, they need to provide more storage space, otherwise they're pushing people towards physical copies of games. And even then between game installs and DLC, that eats up a fair amount of storage space too.

I was holding off on upgrading the HDD to a 2TB on my current PS4 with the hopes that the new version of the PS4 would have a larger HDD & 4K so I'd just buy a new PS4 instead. If it's not coming with a larger HDD, I don't know if I'll bother buying a Neo just for 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

, I don't know if I'll bother buying a Neo just for 4K.

I hope not because Neo won't be doing 4k. It may play 4K bluray movies but gaming will be still be 1080p but upscaled to 4k, like the Xbox One S.

Don't be getting your hopes up about 4k gaming till the Scorpio and whatever Sony release to counter that as the Neo will have to be re spec'ed to take on Scorpio head on.

Neo is about 1080p at 60fps consistently and getting decent fps in VR games as the current PS4 cannot.

I hope not because Neo won't be doing 4k. It may play 4K bluray movies but gaming will be still be 1080p but upscaled to 4k, like the Xbox One S.

Sorry yes, that's what I meant. Early rumours were that it was going to be 4k video playback and upscaling with a larger HDD, and if so I'd have bought it. If it's just the upscaling and 4k video, I doubt I'd bother as I'd still have to spend maybe €90 upgrading the HDD to 2TB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Sorry yes, that's what I meant. Early rumours were that it was going to be 4k video playback and upscaling with a larger HDD, and if so I'd have bought it. If it's just the upscaling and 4k video, I doubt I'd bother as I'd still have to spend maybe €90 upgrading the HDD to 2TB.

I already have a 2TB drive in my PS4 so a (hopefully) cheaper 500GB Neo would be appealing to me as I can then use the same drive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The difference with the XB1 tho is you can plug in a 2TB external to use and still keep using the 500gb away too. Whereas with the PS4, 500gb isn't enough, you take it out to put a 2TB into it and the 500gb is useless to you as far as the PS4 is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »
    I already have a 2TB drive in my PS4 so a (hopefully) cheaper 500GB Neo would be appealing to me as I can then use the same drive again.

Price difference between actual consoles (500GB vs 1TB) is higher than it'd cost to replace the drive yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

ill get the Neo eventually,hopefully it comes wtih 2tb hdd but ill probably up it to a 4tb down the line as game sizes are just going to increase...

I would like to get an Xbone though as the arcade and games for gold are much better that psn plus the backwards compatibilty thing is good..

Better start saving..

Take this with the usual huge pinches of salt.

kiLU7yP.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Hmmm i could see that not being to wide of the mark in fairness. GPU's have progressed since the PS4 launched and as its only really a GPU upgrade in the Neo anyway that could be pretty close to what it launches at. Again its pretty much off the shelf tech so it does not carry the premium the custom hardware consoles of old had. Also Sony will be buying on mass which will help lower the unit cost.

I wouldnt pay more than €450 for a Neo at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pretty sure I won't get one now, if they're any rumours of an improved again console then I will but this neo can wait.

Be putting some money into my PC around then, as more of AMD/Nvidias GPU will be releasing over the rest of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭jack923

So rumours surfaced last week that Sony are working on an upgraded PlayStation 4 with a better GPU/CPU with native 4K support and will help the performance with the VR headset.
    Having a launch PS4 that's noises as hell, I will probably upgrade to it when it's released, also for any players with a 4K TV native support from the PS4 means there should be no upscaling lag on games etc.
    So is anyone else interested in upgrading if this releases?

I don't see how people fall for these cash crops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I can already see next year's E3.

Out walks Andrew House.
    Says "299"
    Mic drop.
    Walks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/8/12402884/ps4-neo-upgrade-reveal-date

Looks to be unveiled the 7th of September

I'm betting they'll include some patches to existing games to showcase the upgraded graphics. Uncharted 4 is a safe bet. Already looks great, but with a boost to 60fps it'd make a big difference.

• Advertisement

http://www.businessinsider.com/sony-announces-september-event-for-playstation-4-successor-neo-2016-8

Sony PlayStation on Tuesday afternoon sent invites for an event on September 7 called “PlayStation Meeting,” where the company will “share details about the PlayStation business.”
    Earlier today, reports from Vice Gaming and Gameblog claimed PlayStation would hold an event that day to unveil its PlayStation 4 Neo, also known as the PlayStation 4.5.
    If you’re unfamiliar, the Neo is expected to play all the current PlayStation 4 games out there, but offer more horsepower for better graphics and frame rates. It’s expected to also support 4K games, movies, and TV shows.
    With that extra horsepower, the Neo will likely be the ideal console to power the company’s upcoming virtual reality headset, PlayStation VR, which arrives in October.
    We look forward to learning more about the PlayStation 4 successor on September 7. The event starts at 3 p.m. ET.

Hell yeah. Let's do this

18dwg8knpt56egif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Not really in the market or in a hurry to "upgrade". However if it was a new system that I could activate as a second "Primary" PS4 so me and my boys could make full use out of both systems in different rooms, then I would consider it. I don't imagine that would be the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not really in the market or in a hurry to "upgrade". However if it was a new system that I could activate as a second "Primary" PS4 so me and my boys could make full use out of both systems in different rooms, then I would consider it. I don't imagine that would be the case though.

I have 2 PS4s and I haven't bothered to do this, theoretically if I make my account primary on herselfs PS4, and she made hers primary on mine, then we would have access to everything we purchase together, don't see why it wouldn't work for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Fieldog wrote: »
    I have 2 PS4s and I haven't bothered to do this, theoretically if I make my account primary on herselfs PS4, and she made hers primary on mine, then we would have access to everything we purchase together, don't see why it wouldn't work for you...

Without meaning to go off topic here, my understanding is this:

I have one PS4 which is my primary and I buy all my games on digital format.
    My sons sub accounts are allowed to play all games on my primary PS4 logged in as themselves (on their sub accounts).

If I buy the 4.5 and assuming I cannot make that a "second" primary unit, I can play the games I bought on the other PS4 if I log in as myself but my sons can only play them if they also log in as me, they cannot play logged in as themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Without meaning to go off topic here, my understanding is this:

I have one PS4 which is my primary and I buy all my games on digital format.
    My sons sub accounts are allowed to play all games on my primary PS4 logged in as themselves (on their sub accounts).

If I buy the 4.5 and assuming I cannot make that a "second" primary unit, I can play the games I bought on the other PS4 if I log in as myself but my sons can only play them if they also log in as me, they cannot play logged in as themselves.

Your understanding is correct for PS4 I believe.
    Interestingly, the PS3 didn't have this limitation as I had two of them and no issues. But the PS4 is slightly more limited which is disappointing.

I'm really interested in what it'll look like, the PS4 is beautifully designed, but Sony has an awful habit of making ugly revisions like the PS3 slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    I'm really interested in what it'll look like, the PS4 is beautifully designed, but Sony has an awful habit of making ugly revisions like the PS3 slim.
    I actually think they wont change the design at all.

Make it quieter please. My PS4 is loud as ****.

I actually think they wont change the design at all.

With die shrinks it makes more economal sense to shrink the size of the console. You save on materials and you're not shipping empty space to retailers, which is inefficient.

I remember Sony saying that they refreshed the PS3 as much as they could to finally make it profitable and to boost margins.

Now I don't think it'll get much smaller, but the design could be trimmed down a bit to save on wasted costs.

That's for just a slim version of the regular PS4, I definitely think the design of the neo will be different purely to differentiate itself as a higher-end product. It'll be the same size or bigger I reckon.

And I hope in all cases it's made quieter, definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    With die shrinks it makes more economal sense to shrink the size of the console. You save on materials and you're not shipping empty space to retailers, which is inefficient.

I remember Sony saying that they refreshed the PS3 as much as they could to finally make it profitable and to boost margins.

Now I don't think it'll get much smaller, but the design could be trimmed down a bit to save on wasted costs.

That's for just a slim version of the regular PS4, I definitely think the design of the neo will be different purely to differentiate itself as a higher-end product. It'll be the same size or bigger I reckon.

And I hope in all cases it's made quieter, definitely.

The PS4 has always been a tight fit. See the tear down on Youtube. I think smaller more efficient components will help the PS4 Neo run cooler and more quiet in the same shell as the PS4.

Advertisement