Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

What are the chances of Sony offering some sort of upgrade programme? I'd love to get the Neo but not sure it's worth dropping another €450/€500.

I'm secretly hoping they beef it up a little more with the Scorpio announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

RedXIV wrote: »
    Your understanding is correct for PS4 I believe.
    Interestingly, the PS3 didn't have this limitation as I had two of them and no issues. But the PS4 is slightly more limited which is disappointing.

That sounds about right.

If I remember it right, the PS3 was different because when it first came out there was no limitation on primary accounts so you could effectively have as many "primary" systems as you wanted. So when they started to clamp down on this, they didn't want to take too much away from customers. So then they brought it down to 5, and now it seems it is a maximum of 2.

The PS4 is a maximum of 1. If the 4.5 would let me around this, I would definitely be an early adopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jones wrote: »
    What are the chances of Sony offering some sort of upgrade programme? I'd love to get the Neo but not sure it's worth dropping another €450/€500.

I'm secretly hoping they beef it up a little more with the Scorpio announcement

Doubt they will offer anything to be fair, I would be all over it if they did... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Fieldog wrote: »
    Doubt they will offer anything to be fair, I would be all over it if they did... :)

You wouldn't know, they can be funny about their implementations sometimes. I remember they would only allow you to activate 2 "portable" playstation accounts and I was worried as a user of the PSP, PSVita and PSTV but I've not hit any issues using all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

With the amount of PS4 units out there at the moment I'd say there will be a huge crash in the price of the original PS4.

Shops like Gamestop directly relate how many units they have in stock with the price they offer for trading in the console. So the more PS4 units they have in stock the less money they pay out to the person trading the console.

This is one example of where the PS4's success will actually hinder its value. Its going to be very interesting watching the second hand market for the PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is this really the PS4 slim?

CqZbV_1W8AArQAJ.jpg

S9JOxNeh.jpg

CqZ6o6ZWEAE5CDg.jpg

V1P0e5jh.jpg

CqaKf51WgAAVTuG.jpg

CqaI7pOWAAACIqm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I wonder will they be going forward with three SKUs (original PS4, PS4 Slim, PS4K) or will the Slim replace the original console? I assume the latter, if the above leak is legitimate of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, id expect the OG PS4's to all be sold by black friday in the states.
    PS4 Slim would then be the "budget" option going forward then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No reason for original if a slim is released, they'll just shift the existing stock and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Looks like the DS4 controller got a design revision too. There is now a thin light bar strip on top of the touch pad. Was hoping for more of an Xbox Elite style design revision myself but this is more geared towards VR it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Looks like the DS4 controller got a design revision too. There is now a thin light bar strip on top of the touch pad. Was hoping for more of an Xbox Elite style design revision myself but this is more geared towards VR it seems.

I thought that was just for the Slim? The Slim no longer has the indicator light strip on the console so the bar is there to replicate that.

Perhaps the Neo will be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I wonder will they sort the connectivity issues with the controller if you're any distance from the ps4.

I wonder will they sort the connectivity issues with the controller if you're any distance from the ps4.

I'd rather better battery life myself. Used to get a week from a DS3, get about 2 days on a DS4. Just ended up buying a 5mtr USB lead and leave it plugged in all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcrynal

no way, they will be a ps5 out in a couple of years.. whats the point

mcrynal wrote: »
    no way, they will be a ps5 out in a couple of years.. whats the point

Agreed unless they just scrapped the Neo and went straight to PS5 to compete with scorpio - which i'd totally be in favour of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

There was 7 years between the PS3 and PS4, surely worth a buy if someones moving from the PS3 to PS4.5?

There was 7 years between the PS3 and PS4, surely worth a buy if someones moving from the PS3 to PS4.5?

There would be a pretty significant jump between the Ps3 and the Neo alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So today is the day Sony unveail the PS4 slim and PS4 Neo, latest rumours are that it will ship with an SSD hard drive and the possibility of users being able to update Ram APU themselves which I find hard to believe anyway we will see later on today what is face or fiction about the Neo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

So today is the day Sony unveail the PS4 slim and PS4 Neo, latest rumours are that it will ship with an SSD hard drive and the possibility of users being able to update Ram APU themselves which I find hard to believe anyway we will see later on today what is face or fiction about the Neo

reckon pre-orders will be available tonight after the event so fingers on the trigger :)

Been selling loads on adverts recently to have some petty cash ready to splurge on technology

• Advertisement

I just hope they revised the Neo specs up a little considering the Scorpio announcement. Not that its all about specs but I think the Neo would be under powered compared to Scorpio.

Either way excited to see what comes out of tonight

jones wrote: »
    I just hope they revised the Neo specs up a little considering the Scorpio announcement. Not that its all about specs but I think the Neo would be under powered compared to Scorpio.

Either way excited to see what comes out of tonight

Massively underpowered. If the rumoured Neo specs are still the same it's got about half the power of the proposed Scorpio specs. That's massive.

Still whats to stop Sony pitching the Neo against the One S at the same price point and releasing their own Scorpio around the same time as MS next year.

MS will have 3 console spec SKUs by next year Sony can do the same. The One S is alittle more powerful that the One and its already showing this in some games already with improved frame rates. It has yet to show of it's HDR abilities until GoW4 releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Massively underpowered. If the rumoured Neo specs are still the same it's got about half the power of the proposed Scorpio specs. That's massive.

Still whats to stop Sony pitching the Neo against the One S at the same price point and releasing their own Scorpio around the same time as MS next year.

Yeah as I said in the other thread, I'd say they'll push ahead with the Neo to be released alongside PSVR, and then this time next year just before Scorpio comes out they'll give the first announcement of the PS5 with a 2018 release date and higher specs than Scorpio.

They were likely too deep in with Neo to start revising specs based on the announcement of the Scorpio, but they can use it to their advantage to announce a proper next-gen console (with 2018 release) just before Scorpio releases.

A PS5 announcement next year will force MS to either push ahead with their own true next-gen console, or use the Scorpio as their next-gen console which would mean games released on it might not be playable on the original XB1, thereby backtracking on what they announced at this year's E3.

So it's the PS4 Pro watching it live now via YouTube missed the beginning lot of talk about HDR capabilities and how non HDR tv's will still see an improvement in graphics on 1080p sets

To answer my original question no I won't be upgrading to the PS4 pro! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'll wait for PS5 so.

How do y'all think this will sell?

I'll wait for PS5 so.

How do y'all think this will sell?

Not really that well I mean why sell an ultra HD console without a UltraHD BluRay Drive! This is a major misstep by Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

One good thing if in the future there is a backward compatible PS5, is that chances are it'll play PS4s games at the PS4 pro settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Not really that well I mean why sell an ultra HD console without a UltraHD BluRay Drive! This is a major misstep by Sony

especially when the xb1 s has one for cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

dunworth1 wrote: »
    especially when the xb1 s has one for cheaper

Yeah but the XB1S isn't 4k gaming. It has hdr but isn't 4k gaming, just 4k video streaming and bluray. PS4Pro is 4k video streaming and gaming with hdr.

Advertisement