Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If 4k is the catch I won't upgrade as no way will I replace a perfectly fine tv for a 4k tv

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would probably order it - cause I will likely be looking to get the Playstation VR and the two would seem to go hand in hand.

I do have concerns on whether it would create a two -tier landscape.

Would you end up getting games that only work on the new unit? Or certain features will only be available on the new unit - like the N64 and its expansion pack for games like Perfect Dark. Part of the appeal of consoles over PC gaming, for me, is the knowledge the performance, graphics and features are set - and I don't have to worry about not being able to play any given game because my playstation can't handle it or handle it at top settings.

You can also look at the problems things like Playstation Eye and Kinnect have had in terms of game development because not everyone (in terms of 360 for Kinnect, or later Xbox One units) has the device so the developers can't commit to using it and thus alienating a large portion of the player base if features (or the game) require the device.

So, while I would get the upgraded unit, I see it being a problem for the console generation if/when it does come about. It is a very different prospect to Playstation Slim or later iterations of the Xbox 360 where the design was simply made more efficient, but had not signficant impact on game performance or development.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If 4k is the catch I won't upgrade as no way will I replace a perfectly fine tv for a 4k tv

Yeah,

4K Tv,
    and essential purchase in the same way as the 3D tv and curved tv's are....
    What a waste of time.

I'm pretty happy with the blinding colours and deep blacks my decade old 42" Plasma provides, at 1080p, thankyouverymuch.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ditto, 4k graphics wouldn't convince me to upgrade. Enhanced functionality would probably annoy me enough to invest, but like others, its not a step I want to see the console market take

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think it really depends on what this is if I'm pushed to upgrade -

If they updated the GPU to push 1080/60 on a consistent basis then I would definitely be all over it...

If its only an incremental upgrade to enable 4K video via a special Bluray or something its not of much use to me as I don't plan on upgrading to a 4K TV anytime soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Fieldog wrote: »
    I think it really depends on what this is if I'm pushed to upgrade -

If they updated the GPU to push 1080/60 on a consistent basis then I would definitely be all over it...

If its only an incremental upgrade to enable 4K video via a special Bluray or something its not of much use to me as I don't plan on upgrading to a 4K TV anytime soon...

As far as I know the current consoles can out put 4k video already. They can't do 4k gaming and neither will the PS4.5.

I see it as an upgrade to do 1080/60fps at all times. Also to get higher fps for VR games as they need 90 and 120fps, to get those frames with the current consoles you'd have to forget about HD graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

As far as I know the current consoles can out put 4k video already. They can't do 4k gaming and neither will the PS4.5.

I see it as an upgrade to do 1080/60fps at all times. Also to get higher fps for VR games as they need 90 and 120fps, to get those frames with the current consoles you'd have to forget about HD graphics.

No current consoles cannot do 4K if you hook a PS4 up to a 4K tv, the TV's electronics will upscale the PS4's output to 4K, the problem with that is that you introduce lag due to the upscaling process, I know the PS4.5 won't do 4K gaming but it should be able to output 4K Netflix and YouTube etc, not sure what the impact will be with regard upscaling lag if it's done with by the PS4.5, Sony want people to buy 4K TV's and no doubt if this console launches they will probably release 4K TV's that work well with the PS4.5! It's all about making money at the end of the day for Sony!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sony Corp. is planning to sell a more powerful version of its PlayStation 4 machine to handle higher-end gaming experiences, including virtual reality, people familiar with the matter said, while continuing production of its existing console that has so far sold more than 36 million units world-wide.

Existing PlayStation 4 owners would need to buy the new model to take full advantage of the enhanced graphics and power, though it is likely that the current model and the coming one would share the same software catalog, one of the people said.

The new console would be announced before the planned October release of the PlayStation VR, Sony’s new virtual-reality headset, the people said. It would be able to handle ultra-high-definition resolution graphics. The upgraded console would also provide more power for running the PlayStation VR, whose main competitors, Facebook Inc.’s Oculus Rift and HTC Corp.’s Vive, are designed to work with top-shelf computers.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-plans-new-playstation-for-graphics-heavy-games-1459152941

*its happening gif*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I'm happy I didn't bother with the PS4 to be honest. Won't be bothering with this either.

keith16 wrote: »
    I'm happy I didn't bother with the PS4 to be honest. Won't be bothering with this either.

Why bother commenting on this thread if you don't even own a PS4 then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought my PS4 for "graphics heavy gaming" I wasn't and still am not in the mood of spending more money on another console.
    I'd be surprised if we end up with "enhanced" titles for the PS4.5, and I'll be p1ssed if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

This looks like it is a move to provide power for VR for those who will have it.

I have VR ordered so if this happens I could sell my existing PS4 for around €200-250, which means gaming since launch on the PS4 cost about €200. Not horrendous either when you think about it.

It looks like software will run on both PS4s, with enhanced graphics for PS4.5 available on certain games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The new console would have to have a lot of improvements besides 4K to justify me upgrading to it, plus I cannot use VR in its current incarnation, although I did trade in my launch model for the custom MGS model.

Well I for one have been contemplating changing out my PS4, since it sounds like a jet engine taking off when sitting at the Black Ops 3 menu, I have been waiting for the newer rev's of the motherboard like the 1200CH, but I think if it survives until this is released and is in and around the price of the standard PS4, I will probably go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This is clearly all for VR and ability to use it properly rather than hamper it.

I'm not sure what everyone is getting upset about or blaming sony for money grabbing.

The ps4 is not powerful enough to get to grips with what's needed for VR . if they want to have a good stab at it then a console change has to happen.

Thats the reality it's nothing to do with money grabbing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

listermint wrote: »
    This is clearly all for VR and ability to use it properly rather than hamper it.

I'm not sure what everyone is getting upset about or blaming sony for money grabbing.

The ps4 is not powerful enough to get to grips with what's needed for VR . if they want to have a good stab at it then a console change has to happen.

Thats the reality it's nothing to do with money grabbing.

The PS4 is just about powerfull enough to pull off 1080p at 30fps on games with medium settings from a pc perspective, an entry level gaming laptop can perform better.

VR is a totally different kettle of nuns and even more demanding than trying to run the latest games.

A 970GTX graphics card is the entry level requirements to run games with VR support and that is way more powerfull than what's inside the current PS4 so an upgraded PS4 really is needed to properly take advantage of VR otherwise you'd be looking at a slide show rather than a fluid live experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Gonzo wrote: »
    The PS4 is just about powerfull enough to pull off 1080p at 30fps on games with medium settings from a pc perspective, an entry level gaming laptop can perform better.

VR is a totally different kettle of nuns and even more demanding than trying to run the latest games.

A 970GTX graphics card is the entry level requirements to run games with VR support and that is way more powerfull than what's inside the current PS4 so an upgraded PS4 really is needed to properly take advantage of VR otherwise you'd be looking at a slide show rather than a fluid live experience.

I built a PC to minimum VR Spec, cost me just over 1K, I have a 970 in mine, there is absolutely no way that a PS4 can have that kind of grunt for 400 quid...

I'm all for everything being 1080/60, I would consider upgrading then....

Even though I have an awesome Destiny limited edition PS4... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

1080/60 should be the goal of any updated ps4.5/4k otherwise what is the point? If they are just refreshing the console to output 4k media I don't think people will bother buying. VR will be a major resource and as others have said I don't think the current ps4 would be able to handle it adequately. Nice GPU upgrade would make me upgrade I have to say. Seeing the witcher 3 etc more like the pc version would be amazing

Is there a chance it could be BC and play PS3 games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is there a chance it could be BC and play PS3 games?

I like to think they'll attempt this, as MS really hit the nail on the head with backwards compatibility.

How will 1080p games look on a 4k TV? I imagine it'll look crap due to upscaling but I'm unsure of how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

I never get the obsession with backward compatibility.
    It would be a nice niche feature for me but realistically I would never use it. When I go back to old games now the graphics have aged so badly it just ruins my enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's no way it'll be anything worth upgrading over if there is a new console, taking PC specs for the Rift/vive and current 4k games a new PS4 would price itself out of the market. It'd be the €600 PS3 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A graphics whore on console :pac: I love it!

For anyone that sold their PS3 to buy a PS4 they have access to all of their old games, you've also got access to the likes of Borderlands or Dishonoured, where the graphics are designed to be pretty instead of realistic.

It does depend on the person though, I get that.

I'm joking about the console whore bit by the way ;)

After doing some quick googling, 1080p upscaled to 4k looks a little blurrier that native 1080p would but I don't think it's going to have much of an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

As long as it doesn't sound like a hairdryer playing games id consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Yeah, I'd upgrade if the fan issue is sorted. My launch console sounds like a plane taking off sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just saw this post on neogaf
    Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Also there was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
    We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie
    Robinson
    GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)
    GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.

If true, why not just call it a backward compatible PS5.
    I got a PS4 just before Christmas so I won't be getting one.

And this line "It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance. " doesn't bode well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,402 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Madness.

Developers making games for a console that doesn't exist yet versus that aldo have to play on a lesser console with a 40m userbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I don't understand why it would be such a dramatic upgrade, surely your cutting out the 30 million plus people who already have a PS4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

noodler wrote: »
    Madness.

Developers making games for a console that doesn't exist yet versus that aldo have to play on a lesser console with a 40m userbase.
    I don't understand why it would be such a dramatic upgrade, surely your cutting out the 30 million plus people who already have a PS4?
    It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

If true, regular PS4 owners won't be abandoned. They will get the same games but they will run at lower settings, like PC games.

Advertisement