Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Otacon wrote: »
    If true, regular PS4 owners won't be abandoned. They will get the same games but they will run at lower settings, like PC games.

I think this will lead to people like myself who have considered the PC option for a while now going that direction.

Consoles were meant to be the buy it and it'll be with you for 4 or 5 years no hassle, no upgrading, just buy your games and it'll all work out of the box.

Devs then year on year get to know the system better and graphics improve over time.

If that handiness is taken away from users why the hell would we still buy consoles? It defeats their purpose imo.

I'll hold on to my ps4 as there are titles I still want to play on it that I haven't gotten round to yet but I won't be upgrading it.

I'll save my money for the next couple of years and go PC when I feel I need to upgrade, and then continue down that line.

Exclusives might tempt some. Personally I'll most likely couple the PC with a Nintendo console as I like Nintendo first party games.

Most other titles are multi platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Consoles were meant to be the buy it and it'll be with you for 4 or 5 years no hassle, no upgrading, just buy your games and it'll all work out of the box.

I don't see how this is any different. The end user isn't going to see any difference. They still get a box that they plug in and run games on. They won't need to fiddle with graphics settings or drivers themselves.
    Devs then year on year get to know the system better and graphics improve over time.

This won't really happen this generation as the consoles are basically static PCs. The improvements you saw in previous generations was largely down to developers finding new ways to exploit the static hardware and getting more familiar with the unique architecture of each device.

This time out they know pretty much exactly what they are doing so you won't see the same leap in output.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I saw the 'its still gonna be on regular PS4' bit, but if the considerable sacrifices to performance are also true, sounds like regular PS4 owners are getting a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

I'm a bit skeptical about that post on neogaf.

A better gpu was obviously going to have to be put in so if its twice as powerful as the current one that would be amazing. The possible CPU improvement and a 4k bluray player built in all for $499? Something doesn't sound right could sony afford to do all of that for $499?

If all of that is true i'd assume the ps4.5 would have enough power to run 1080/60 so i'd be all over it

As regards the difference between both ps4's surely it would be similar to the pc gaming were settings would just be changed from medium to high etc. depending on which console you have.
    Very good point made by one of the posters before me about the increase in power in previous generations - that was literally all down to discovering how to harness the console power as they were usually bespoke systems. With the ps4 its basically a PC so any improvements will not be to the same degree as previous generations

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Otacon wrote: »
    I don't see how this is any different. The end user isn't going to see any difference. They still get a box that they plug in and run games on. They won't need to fiddle with graphics settings or drivers themselves.

Yeah but if I buy a PS4 at launch and someone else buys one (in this case a 4K) 4 years later, I should expect the same performance as them, but apparently I won't. I don't mind not being able to play games at 4K but if there are other performance issues, then I wouldn't be too pleased. If it's just things like not being able to use TressFX then that's not a problem. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah but if I buy a PS4 at launch and someone else buys one (in this case a 4K) 4 years later, I should expect the same performance as them, but apparently I won't. I don't mind not being able to play games at 4K but if there are other performance issues, then I wouldn't be too pleased. If it's just things like not being able to use TressFX then that's not a problem. :)

I don't think any console will be seeing 4k graphics for a couple of years yet. I think it will be visual upgrades and/or increased frame rate as the main differences between ps4 and ps4.5 as you said TressFX, AA etc. As i've said multiple times just give me 1080/60 as standard and i'm in.

One point someone made above is a great one - why don't they package this as the PS5 with full backward compatibility? Might appeal more to current ps4 owners

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

jones wrote: »
    One point someone made above is a great one - why don't they package this as the PS5 with full backward compatibility? Might appeal more to current ps4 owners

IMO that would be worse. They are saying that it would be possible for a new game to come out that plays on the new device and not the old but all old devices games play on the new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm lucky in that I'll probably have the money to buy one, I just couldn't justify it unless it brings something major to the table.

I'm old enough to remember stop-gaps (and despite what they might say this is what it seem to me to be) like the Mega CD and 32X. Think I'll wait for the equivalent of the Saturn or PS1! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm lucky in that I'll probably have the money to buy one, I just couldn't justify it unless it brings something major to the table.

I'm old enough to remember stop-gaps (and despite what they might say this is what it seem to me to be) like the Mega CD and 32X. Think I'll wait for the equivalent of the Saturn or PS1! :D

I'll take a new Saturn over the new PS4.5 any day of the week.

Unfortunately we'll not see another Sega console but one can dream.

Wonder how many people have got rid of their PS4 ahead of the official announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I can see why people may be apprehensive but the PS4 wont turn into a paper weight overnight. Atm its still the most powerful console providing objectively better performance across a range of titles than its competition. That wont change for awhile.

Also the install base is huge. IMO the PS4K wont reach that type of number of units sold as from what ive read,and what i hope to be the case,it will be more a luxury rather than essential.

There is definitely a market for people who want everything to be a bit shinier but i dont think that market is nearly as big as the market for PS4. For that reason i cant see the PS4 being neglected,for a good few years anyway. Devs would be foolish not to work on titles for both as the potential $ is to big to pass up IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They will work for both, just the PS4.5 will have the option for shiney graphics effects and smoother frame rates. It will be exactly like PC games are, you configure the options yourself to get the best performance on your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The PS 4.5 will be near essential if you're going down the VR path, if not it'll not be such an issue I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Wonder how many people have got rid of their PS4 ahead of the official announcement

Sold mine a couple of months due to the to the noise playing games, my bedroom is fairly small so it was near unbearable with certain games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Tbh I have been researching vr and ps4.5 and I have decided if I was to choose one or the other I would upgrade ps4 and tv before buying a vr setup

I remain fearful that vr will be another fad

• Registered Users Posts: 26,402 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What's even more worrying for me is that original ps4 owners probably can't look forward to optimisation and the existing console having every bit of power squeezed from it further into its lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

noodler wrote: »
    What's even more worrying for me is that original ps4 owners probably can't look forward to optimisation and the existing console having every bit of power squeezed from it further into its lifespan.

As others have said, the ps4 and xbone are basically PCs and developers would have been extremely familiar with the architecture from the start. The are known quantities, so you're not going to get gains you saw in other generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Id pre order straight away. I have my PS4 since launch and have got my value out of it, more than ready to jump up if the 4.5 was released this year.

Actually same. I got my one from launch. It had a good run. A new, more powerful one would be bees knees.

In fairness ps4s are dirt cheap lately anyway. If someone got it in the last year, they got a good deal on it anyway. On top of that I really really doubt 4.5 will be out this year.

In fairness ps4s are dirt cheap lately anyway. If someone got it in the last year, they got a good deal on it anyway. On top of that I really really doubt 4.5 will be out this year.

Some sites reporting it'll come out around the time of PSVR. the current PS4 will struggle to run high end VR games smoothly so they expect it to come out at the same time or before xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not many people will be able to afford PlayStation 4.5 and VR same time. Could be risky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Some sites reporting it'll come out around the time of PSVR. the current PS4 will struggle to run high end VR games smoothly so they expect it to come out at the same time or before xmas.

If that's the case, I know what i am getting myself as Xmas present. :)

Things is though, in my opinion a lot of people got their nickers in a twist without good reason. Or a solid on to be nice about it.
    A great example would be Nintendo "new" 3ds. They did what Sony wants to do now. In reality new 3ds with its better hardware is not essential or needed. There are only 2 or 3 games that actually are for new hardware and damn thing is over year old. You can be perfectly fine with normal 3ds, unless you are one of those people like me, who wants the new and shiny stuff.
    I doubt all developers will jump in to do games for newer hardware. Ps4 will still be main platform to focus on.

I know that main reason for 4.5 is the VR, which completely fair enough in my books. I better see some beefed up hardware, then do half arsed vr on very limited under powered hardware and turning people off VR all together.
    The 4k is another can of worms. Let alone most of 4k tvs being completely useless due to their sizes and distance you watch them. When it comes to tvs it's just epenis braging that you have 4k, in reality majority of people won't see benefit of it on small tvs amd living rooms are not big enough to throw in 60-70inch tvs. On monitor it makes sense, on tv of the size less then 50inch, it doesn't. I am perfectly fine playing stuff 1080p on my TV for very very long time.

4K will be media playback only, definitely not gaming. There will possibly be upscaling but not native 4K games. PS 4.5 will give 1080p @ 60fps and it will provide enough power to run VR games like EVE Valkyrie properly.

While a risky strategy, Sony are looking to provide a higher end experience for those looking for it, which isn't most PS users. I would guess VR users will jump on it as it will improve that experience noticeably. That's still only 1/2m out of their existing 30/40m (whatever it is) user base.

This isn't aimed at regular gamers, rather early adopters of tech with money and if people want to pay for it, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I can't wait to see the Argos 4.5vr bundles .I'm all over it.

Now I have to start shifting my PS4's on to make way for the next gen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Some sites are already claiming that the 4.5 will be officially announced at or before E3 with a release date into the stores for November-December this year and at the $399/€399 price point. Would have expected at least €449 for this.

If thats all true the current PS4 should drop to €300 or a bit less with 1TB HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd sell my PS4 now if it didn't have PT on it :( Ugh, what to do...

There's a workaround for getting PT if it's in your library. It's out there in the wild. Haven't tried it yet. I got my PS4 after PT was gone but was still able to add it to my library. So must try it out soon.

There's a workaround for getting PT if it's in your library. It's out there in the wild. Haven't tried it yet. I got my PS4 after PT was gone but was still able to add it to my library. So must try it out soon.

Really? Did I read something a while back that mentioned it was risking a ban to do something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

What's pt

What's pt

Sorry, P.T. The demo that Konami pulled from the store, and prevented people from re-downloading it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If that's the case, I know what i am getting myself as Xmas present. :).

Me too!
    The new Nintendo console!

Because why on earth would I buy another PS4 with only marginal improvements to the current offering when I don't own or intend to own a 4k TV?

Now, if there are major changes to the quality of the VR then maybe next year...

Advertisement