Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now, if there are major changes to the quality of the VR then maybe next year...

The VR headset itself isn't good enough to provide a full VR experience from what I understand, you need essentially a 1600p VR screen to trick your eyes. Well, half for each eye but you get my meaning. The PSVR is 1080p, so even if the 4.5 gives a good VR boost, its still not going to be a great VR experience.

Imo this console is going to be a massive waste of time unless you're upgrading to a 4k TV for gaming. And are okay with upscaling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Imo this console is going to be a massive waste of time unless you're upgrading to a 4k TV for gaming. And are okay with upscaling

It won't be anywhere near capable of 4k gaming. The only reason I'm interested is for the VR gains.

The new Nintendo console!

Because why on earth would I buy another PS4 with only marginal improvements...

The rumours don't suggest marginal improvements, though they are just that, rumours. So far though, the rumour mill is suggesting a GPU with twice the power of the existing one, which should certainly make sub-60fps games extinct, and rightly so. I have to say, I'm interested...the VR is the big hook for me so far.

Regards the next Ninty console, if experience (and hundreds upon hundreds of euro) has thought me anything, it's that Nintendo consoles at launch are vapid affairs. I'll definitely get one, & I very much look forward to the NX...but I won't be an early adopter as I was with the 3DS & the Wii U. Those two weren't worth owning for two years after launch, & given how beyond backwards Nintendo policy seems to be, I don't see that changing. EVE Valkryie in VR though, now that's different...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Myrddin wrote: »
    It won't be anywhere near capable of 4k gaming. The only reason I'm interested is for the VR gains.

I meant upscaling 1080p to 4k :) Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The rumours don't suggest marginal improvements, though they are just that, rumours. So far though, the rumour mill is suggesting a GPU with twice the power of the existing one, which should certainly make sub-60fps games extinct, and rightly so. I have to say, I'm interested...the VR is the big hook for me so far.

Regards the next Ninty console, if experience (and hundreds upon hundreds of euro) has thought me anything, it's that Nintendo consoles at launch are vapid affairs. I'll definitely get one, & I very much look forward to the NX...but I won't be an early adopter as I was with the 3DS & the Wii U. Those two weren't worth owning for two years after launch, & given how beyond backwards Nintendo policy seems to be, I don't see that changing. EVE Valkryie in VR though, now that's different...

The existing PS4 Gpu is AMD's Pitcairn, double that would put it in the range. Taking a G3D Mark score to compare that would put it close to a Nvidia 970, but that doesn't help predict real world performance.

The current equivalent AMD cards would seem to be capable of 4K@30 on lower quality settings on new games, but it's hard to find useful benchmark as most 4k benchmarks aren't on mid-high quality (console esc quality).

AMD didn't have the greatest past 2 years (saw some sales numbers for the 290s & 970s and up, and I'd guess 60% of those were 970s) so considering they've sold 40-50m gpus to Sony I think there's a chance they'd want to continue that and we may see AMD's new Arctic Islands being used.

Personally rather the generation was shorted rather than this half step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Me too!
    The new Nintendo console!

Because why on earth would I buy another PS4 with only marginal improvements to the current offering when I don't own or intend to own a 4k TV?

Now, if there are major changes to the quality of the VR then maybe next year...

I doubt it's coming out this year though. Of 4.5 and new Nintendo is coming out this year both, then 90% I will get new Nintendo console and 4.5 after few months. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

for me my mind is made up... in 2016 the ps4k or nx takes priority vr maybe next year sometime see if it actually takes off. plus people saying online vr doesnt always agree with people i dont wanna spend 500 and find out i cant use it as it makes me feel sick

for me my mind is made up... in 2016 the ps4k or nx takes priority vr maybe next year sometime see if it actually takes off. plus people saying online vr doesnt always agree with people i dont wanna spend 500 and find out i cant use it as it makes me feel sick

Think VR is cool but will have to try it first so I've not pre-ordered, there'll be plenty of shops with displays around then.

Varik wrote: »
    Think VR is cool but will have to try it first so I've not pre-ordered, there'll be plenty of shops with displays around then.

I did a favour to one boardsie back in the day and when he got dk1 oculus he brought it to my place so I can try it out.
    I was very skeptical of it before when I only knew about it. After I tired it I knew it's the future for gaming, but dk1 was not yet there hardware wise.
    It's an eye opener when you actually try it out.

Thing is, i don't know that even with new resolution it will there. And I am talking about pc focused vr sets. Again, I haven't tried it yet, so can't comment much.

All in all, vr is really cool technology and I hope it will stick around. I already sow some stuff for pc to set up vr desktops, which make multi monitor setups pretty much useless. I am torn now between getting 21:9 monitor and use my other two as additional ones or just wait out for vr.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I doubt it's coming out this year though. Of 4.5 and new Nintendo is coming out this year both, then 90% I will get new Nintendo console and 4.5 after few months. :)

Oh, it's almost certainly coming out this year, though if the previous form is any indicator then it won't be worth buying, even for fans like me, until 2017.
    But then the "launch window" releases are always a sparse affair, regardless of platform.
    At least the PS4k will have a back catalogue of titles, and perhaps the big releases patched to take advantage of the extra power, so Bloodborne looking as good as it does now but at a solid 60fps..... hmm, is that a little flutter in my chest.... excitement? cardiac episode? clot in the lung?

• Advertisement

I got a loan of a DK1 there two years ago or so, and knew immediately there's massive, massive, massive potential for VR in Gaming. The hardware of the DK1 was the obstacle, primarily the pixelation of the screens, so if that can be overcome, I'm sold without hesitation. It blew me away, and I can say with certainty, it has to be seen to be believed. Unless you're one of the unfortunate few who it doesn't agree with. Colour me cautiously optimistic for a PS4K + PSVR combination...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

See my big challenge with VR is the cables...
    I don't know about the rest of you but I have dogs so my PS4 is well off the floor over the TV. I just don't see how I can have cables hanging down from that across to where I would be sitting/standing without some risk of my dogs or my OH or me pulling them every which way and sending my beloved box crashing to the hard tiles...

Now - if they can connect wirelessly I'm sold, but as it is with physical connections I think they will be grounded as an oddity - something to try - just like those goggles I bought for the PS2 all those years ago - I loved those and found after gaming for a few hours I couldn't drive let alone stand, but again the cables there hampered my gaming...

similar but not quite the same as

2016-FPV-font-b-glasses-b-font-52-Inch-4-3-Virtual-Screen-google-font-b.jpg

Oh, it's almost certainly coming out this year, though if the previous form is any indicator then it won't be worth buying, even for fans like me, until 2017.
    But then the "launch window" releases are always a sparse affair, regardless of platform.
    At least the PS4k will have a back catalogue of titles, and perhaps the big releases patched to take advantage of the extra power, so Bloodborne looking as good as it does now but at a solid 60fps..... hmm, is that a little flutter in my chest.... excitement? cardiac episode? clot in the lung?

Thats the way I am looking at PS4K too. I dont really care about its VR potential as I most likely will go PC route for that, but if it will give me a way playing all games 60fps 1080p, then I am a very very happy bunny.
    For example I really want to get Dark Souls 3, but I am not decided on platform yet. I own xbox one, ps4 and PC, but Dark souls games were always my console games. After finishing Dark souls 2 on ps3 and then playing it on xbox one at 60fps, I just can go back playing Dark souls games on 30fps on Ps4. And I dont want to play it on PC as its my couch relax ( ironic, I know ) game.
    So if ps4K sorts out the issue and I cant see much problems for devs do patches to make their games use the benefit of better hardware and bump up that fps to 60 at very least, then sony has a sale from me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Shadow of the Colossus was a good example.
    The PS2 original was amazing and possibly the best game of the generation, but the frame rate is a thing you have to consciously overlook, as it dips and dives all over the place.
    The PS3 remaster is astonishing, adding a forgettable crispness to the visuals but making it all move at a smooth consistent framerate.

The problem with framerates is that, once we see Bloodborne at 60fps, it's going to hard to settle back to 30fps.

Dammit, I'm talking myself into a PS4k, aren't I... bugger....

Dammit, I'm talking myself into a PS4k, aren't I... bugger....

30fps is the spawn of Satan man, the fact that the current generation of consoles is still putting content out at 30fps is frankly, pathetic. I feel, for whatever reason, this generation will be a short lived one. The PS4K will definitely extend the life of this generation for Sony, but what of MS...it'll be interesting to see if they call a halt on this generation, & rather than 'update' the XBO...just release a newly branded machine to compete with the PS4K...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wouldnt mimd knowing the answer to the "how will microsoft respond" question myself. Id hate to buy a PS4K and find out a month or two later MS have decided to bring out an even better console. Id imagine/hope they would want to get their plans out to the public before PS4K goes on sale.

Cant see them not responding in some way. Guess a lot will depend on what the PS4K actually is.

30fps is the spawn of Satan man, the fact that the current generation of consoles is still putting content out at 30fps is frankly, pathetic. I feel, for whatever reason, this generation will be a short lived one. The PS4K will definitely extend the life of this generation for Sony, but what of MS...it'll be interesting to see if they call a halt on this generation, & rather than 'update' the XBO...just release a newly branded machine to compete with the PS4K...

PS3, PS4, 360, and One are all capable of 60fps, developers just chose to sacrifice frame rate for other things. It's as likely we'll have a PS4 version of a game running on medium@30 and a PS4.5 running at high@30.

Varik wrote: »
    PS3, PS4, 360, and One are all capable of 60fps, developers just chose to sacrifice frame rate for other things.

Naturally. Remove enough bells & whistles and any old machine can pull of 60fps. They need 60fps with all the shiny bits enabled at the same time. For the record, I'm far more interested in higher smooth frame rates, than I am in the shiny things. Nothing should be 30fps though, & if the PS4K is still putting out stuff at 30fps then I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

EoinHef wrote: »
    Wouldnt mimd knowing the answer to the "how will microsoft respond" question myself. Id hate to buy a PS4K and find out a month or two later MS have decided to bring out an even better console. Id imagine/hope they would want to get their plans out to the public before PS4K goes on sale.

Cant see them not responding in some way. Guess a lot will depend on what the PS4K actually is.
    they might do similar as in a more powerful xbox one but they will do what they always do. penny pinch with console specs, ps3 was far more powerful and ps4 is also way ahead of ms efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Seems like MS will be taking the same route as Sony

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_visual_designer_outs_xbox_next_2.html

• Advertisement

ItsHoggie wrote: »

I would want to know more about this though. Sony is doing this with plan and more due to vr then anything, they working in it for a while and not rushed. I wonder if Microsoft is just in "omfg we got to do something" mode and will rush it just not to be this gens wii u.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I would want to know more about this though. Sony is doing this with plan and more due to vr then anything, they working in it for a while and not rushed. I wonder if Microsoft is just in "omfg we got to do something" mode and will rush it just not to be this gens wii u.

There was a rumour of an xbox 1.5 before there was one about the PS4.5, it's just there seems to be more traction on the PS4 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I dont want to play it on PC as its my couch relax ( ironic, I know ) game

Hook your PC up to your telly and use one of your console controllers.

Honestly none of the rumours are credible, considering there were dev talking about it loudly enough to be overheard you'd think there'd be information coming from some of the proven sources rather than reposted news and rumours built on other rumours.

Hook your PC up to your telly and use one of your console controllers.

Pc is in my nerd cave and TV is in living room. I have 10M hdmi cable but I doubt it will do it...

Pc is in my nerd cave and TV is in living room. I have 10M hdmi cable but I doubt it will do it...

Steamlink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Really? Did I read something a while back that mentioned it was risking a ban to do something like this?

Last I read about it, people asked but no one reported it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ItsHoggie wrote: »

Phil Spencer was asked outright last week if they will follow Son'y lead and he flat out denied they had any plans to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Phil Spencer was asked outright last week if they will follow Son'y lead and he flat out denied they had any plans to do so.

He did say though that if they decide to do something it would more likely be a brand new console rather than a mid gen upgrade so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

sugarman wrote: »
    Couldnt be arsed upgrading myself, id sooner upgrade my graphics card than the PS4.

It's that same thing basically. Throw in a €400 gfx card into your PC but then your CPU could end up being a bottle neck.

A new €400 console, either way you will be playing games with better performance than you were before on either platform.

Advertisement