Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Venom wrote: »
    This Base and Neo mode will only last until one of the big game developers tells Sony to get stuffed. It will only take the risk of Sony losing the likes of a CoD, Battlefield, Fifa or GTA level game on their platform for them to fold imho.

There's 40m+ of the current PS4 plus additional sales in the meantime, no one is walking away from that money. The Base and Neo modes will last the rest of the PS4s life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Varik wrote: »
    There's 40m+ of the current PS4 plus additional sales in the meantime, no one is walking away from that money. The Base and Neo modes will last the rest of the PS4s life.

Until there's a super mega Neo 2 that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Until there's a super mega Neo 2 that is.

That's PS5.

Still I don't get people saying they are being left behind, not a hope of that happening. All games coming to PS4 are still going to PS4. They will just look better on the Neo.

Like getting a new phone each year with a sharper screen or better quality camera. Still does the same thing but looks nicer. No one is being forced to upgrade. Sony are just putting out another option for people that want the latest.

If anything this is being pushed by VR, you need higher frame rates for VR games or you will be sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Personally im glad to see them brimg out beefier hardware,problem.might be did they go far enough. The jump in hardware seems more itterative than a big leap. I mean atm it looks like its the same cpu with a clock speed boost. Something tells me it still wouldnt be able to hit 60fps @ 1080p in a game like GTA V which can be very cpu dependent.

Also it was apparent the consoles were under powered on release,a sign of the time they were released,8-10 year life cycle for under powered consoles doesnt sound great to me.

It is a big jump in specs, 8 CPU cores getting 500mhz boost. The RAM bandwidth is increased by a substantial percnetage and the GPU CUs being doubled and a clockspeed increase.

This should enable 1080p and 60fps all round I reckon. No 4K gaming till PS5 on a console anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Venom wrote: »
    This Base and Neo mode will only last until one of the big game developers tells Sony to get stuffed. It will only take the risk of Sony losing the likes of a CoD, Battlefield, Fifa or GTA level game on their platform for them to fold imho.

It's actually those AAA games that I think will care the least and create problems for Sony tbh. They're already making a current gen version for Xbox so they'll probably just half-arse a "neo" version and not take it seriously paving the way for more criticism of Sony's development plan.
    EoinHef wrote: »
    Personally im glad to see them brimg out beefier hardware,problem.might be did they go far enough. The jump in hardware seems more itterative than a big leap. I mean atm it looks like its the same cpu with a clock speed boost. Something tells me it still wouldnt be able to hit 60fps @ 1080p in a game like GTA V which can be very cpu dependent.

Also it was apparent the consoles were under powered on release,a sign of the time they were released,8-10 year life cycle for under powered consoles doesnt sound great to me.

This is the thing I find most perplexing about it all, people nowadays seem to measure performance in terms of "60 fps or it's ****e" (not something I entirely agree with) and with the article mentioning about frame rates not being negotiable for performance plus the fact that games have to be both base PS4 and neo PS4 ready makes me think that we're not actually going to see a worthwhile jump in actual performance making you wonder why it's happening at all.

I think it is purely to make the PS VR more feasible and in terms of regular gaming it's going to be a gimmick.

But imo the early adopters of this first gen VR (across the whole industry) are going to be especially taken to the cleaners (when compared to other breakthrough consumer technologies) so it's not much of a surprise I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think there is a huge amount of folks getting knickers in a twist, ive had my PS 4 since inception.

The reason this leap is being made and why they are breaking this mythical 8 year life cycle rule (which tbh is ridiculous , the leaps in tech over 8 years is incredible) Is purely because the success of VR on the Horizon. Sony have been forced to jump hardware to give a reasonable VR experience. Facts are facts. If they want to be in that market theyve had to do this.

And all the details and the stats on ownership indicate that no PS 4 owner is getting left behind.

But the expectation that 4 year old console tech will deliver good VR is laughable. So people need to wake up.

You will still be supported Sony have said that, but should you feel the need to make the Jump then do.

I dont see this harming any brand, many people will be wrapped up in the VR revolution that is happening that those with knickers twisted will untwist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It all just sounds a bit like the Sega 32X at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

That's PS5.

Still I don't get people saying they are being left behind, not a hope of that happening. All games coming to PS4 are still going to PS4. They will just look better on the Neo.

Like getting a new phone each year with a sharper screen or better quality camera. Still does the same thing but looks nicer. No one is being forced to upgrade. Sony are just putting out another option for people that want the latest.

If anything this is being pushed by VR, you need higher frame rates for VR games or you will be sick.

No one is being forced to upgrade, of course. The thing is though, you know that when you buy a new phone that there will be a newer, shiner, faster model out in 12 months and you make that choice. Up until know, when you bought a console, you were pretty much guaranteed that it would be the latest and greatest for a handy few years.

Anyone defending Sony's position on this cannot categorically state without fear of contradiction that Sony will never in the lifetime of the PS4 backtrack on the promise that all games will run on the Base model. Everyone that is defending Sony at the moment is saying that all that will be different is that games will look better on the Neo but I think it's inevitable that some game will be released that will take advantage of the faster processor and ram and will either have missing features if played on the Base or won't run at all.

Of course Sony are going to say at the moment that everything will run on the Base. They can see there is a backlash and bewilderment with this new hardware idea and if they came out and said anything else, sales of the Base would stop right now, today. Anyone who swallows this marketing is living in a dream world, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I'm not too happy about this, I'm worried we'll start seeing things like Hyrule Warriors Legends which performs fine on New 3DS but really struggles on the regular 3DS. How long before "Base" PS4 games turn out the same.

It feels like I only just got my PS4 so I've no desire to spend money on a new Sony console for a good few years yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I might after a month or two but only if i can put my current 2TB ps4 hard drive into it.

I definetly wont be downloading all my games again on my poxy 2mb connection.

Fairly crappy move from Sony and probably Microsoft but this is only going to become more normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I guess it may depend on the XBox 1.5 if it comes to fruition. If it improves the XBox One's performance to or above the level of PS4, then that'll be 4 consoles that need to be taken into account for developers. That's before we get to PC and NX.
    Even though PS4 and Xbox will still mostly be the same, the games will need to be tested on both iterations of the console.

I haven't read everything but have Sony told developers that they have to take advantage of Neo's hardware or is it up to them, just as long as it works on the base system?

Edit: I remembered hearing comments from a sony exec a while ago about how console cycles will be shorter going forward so took a look and
    http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/sony-and-ea-predict-shorter-console-life-cycle-this-generation/
    http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ps4/news/a460951/sony-on-ps4-ten-year-life-cycle-console-cycles-could-become-shorter/

The more I think about this the more tempted I am to sell my ps4 and just save for a PC.

I've more than enough games on 360, Wii U and Vita to keep me going for a year or two while I save.

Would help me get through some backlog too.

Hmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    It's actually those AAA games that I think will care the least and create problems for Sony tbh. They're already making a current gen version for Xbox so they'll probably just half-arse a "neo" version and not take it seriously paving the way for more criticism of Sony's development plan.

This is the thing I find most perplexing about it all, people nowadays seem to measure performance in terms of "60 fps or it's ****e" (not something I entirely agree with) and with the article mentioning about frame rates not being negotiable for performance plus the fact that games have to be both base PS4 and neo PS4 ready makes me think that we're not actually going to see a worthwhile jump in actual performance making you wonder why it's happening at all.

I think it is purely to make the PS VR more feasible and in terms of regular gaming it's going to be a gimmick.

But imo the early adopters of this first gen VR (across the whole industry) are going to be especially taken to the cleaners (when compared to other breakthrough consumer technologies) so it's not much of a surprise I guess.

IMO 60fps should be the minimum games should be looking to run at in this day and age. Drop resolution,reduce the shiny stuff but make sure its 60fps. The game in motion will run so much smoother and the input lag is reduced greatly. Improving the experience all round really so i dont know why anyone wouldnt want any game to run at 60fps really. Sure we all have enjoyed games ar 30fps but they would have been even better at 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The more I think about this the more tempted I am to sell my ps4 and just save for a PC.

I've more than enough games on 360, Wii U and Vita to keep me going for a year or two while I save.

Would help me get through some backlog too.

Hmmmmm.
    tbh this would be my fear are they gonna push console gamers to pc....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I don't actually own a PS4 yet, and have been putting it off for a while. If this comes out and is decently priced I might jump in. Alternatively there should be a lot of cheaper Ps4's available, either the current model sold or pre-owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Normally I wouldn't mind trading in my PS4 for this but I have the P.T. demo on my existing PS4! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

RedXIV wrote: »
    Normally I wouldn't mind trading in my PS4 for this but I have the P.T. demo on my existing PS4! :(
    theres a youtube clip i seen with a way of getting around that if you change console

tbh this would be my fear are they gonna push console gamers to pc....

Yup. I'm fickle though in fairness. I don't think the mass market will change to PC but I can't see it not affecting sales to some extent.

I also have kinda wanted to go the PC route for a while but console ownership has just been easier. This is the push I needed if I'm honest.

I'll always buy Nintendos offering though as I love their IP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I was reading on NeoGaf about how the dev kits don't seem to contain a 4K blu ray drive. If it doesn't have 4K blu ray support, I wouldn't be buying it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think for a lot of Ps4 gamers who got the console on the day of release this might be attractive, my launch PS4 is like a jet taking off on some games and was looking at upgrading to the 1200Ch quiter Matt finish in the next 12 months, I will probably hold off and get the Neo now when it's released.
    It's kind of similar to when the PS3 released I spent big bucks on it when it launched,Nehru the slim was launched I traded my PS2 backwards compatable PS3 in at Game for the slim, as I'm sure a lot of PS3 owners diid, not seeing any great difference on what Sony are doing this generation and what they did last generation as long as there isn't a massive price increase for the Neo I'll be picking one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Good take on the Neo by ReviewTechUSA, pretty much sums up the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

any word on the likely hard drive size?

any word on the likely hard drive size?

Most likely 1TB and 5400rpm, same as the standard now as stated in the specs released so far. Replacing mine with a 2TB day one, or higher if there is one in 9.5mm form factor released by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

https://youtu.be/8JJbWo8y58M

Digital Foundry update video in light of Neo leak

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

https://youtu.be/8JJbWo8y58M

Digital Foundry update video in light of Neo leak

Thought it was among the leaked info that the GPU was a current gen GCN, from that he's saying it might be polaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Varik wrote: »
    Thought it was among the leaked info that the GPU was a current gen GCN, from that he's saying it might be polaris.
    From the accompanying article here, the reasoning was...
    Here's where things get interesting - the 36 compute unit count cannot comfortably fit any of AMD's existing GPUs. It suggests that Sony and AMD have pushed the boat out, that they are using the upcoming Polaris technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Anyone defending Sony's position on this cannot categorically state without fear of contradiction that Sony will never in the lifetime of the PS4 backtrack on the promise that all games will run on the Base model. Everyone that is defending Sony at the moment is saying that all that will be different is that games will look better on the Neo but I think it's inevitable that some game will be released that will take advantage of the faster processor and ram and will either have missing features if played on the Base or won't run at all.

Of course Sony are going to say at the moment that everything will run on the Base. They can see there is a backlash and bewilderment with this new hardware idea and if they came out and said anything else, sales of the Base would stop right now, today. Anyone who swallows this marketing is living in a dream world, imo.

We can't categorically say it no, same as we can't categorically say that the sun will rise tomorrow. It seems a no-brainer though that they'd look to not exclude the vast majority of their customer-base from future game sales.

They won't be releasing two versions of every game. It'll essentially be two sets of presets in the graphics settings, one optimised to the old machine and one to the new one.

I doubt I'll ever buy one of these machines (unless I go down the VR route which is the sole reason they're doing this) and I doubt that its existence will negatively impact my gaming experience on my base PS4 one bit.

To me the big learning point here, once again, is that the biggest thing holding back console gaming is the public bleating about the cost of gaming machines. We had so much trimmed out of the PS3 because of the moaning about how expensive it was (even though it was cheaper even before inflation is taken into account than the Commodore 64 had been) and so Sony was forced to put out a next generation machine a fraction of the power of the one that they probably wanted to put out in order to keep the price down. And here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Starting to wonder have people been trying Sony VR with the upgraded PS4 or the base model PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I had considered going pc for this gen but i think this will definitely make me go to pc for the next gen time frame.

Advertisement