Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Starting to wonder have people been trying Sony VR with the upgraded PS4 or the base model PS4.

Same. I think it's a good move by Sony, the current gen machines are already practically maxed out, & seem to have been launched underpowered for the desired life span. I think this will ensure the life span of the console. To think we're getting sub-60fps games on current generation consoles in 2016 is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

Is it possible it will break the unison of console releases between Sony & MS? Nintendo broke away, & seem to launch consoles mid way through the 'big hitters' console life span, so why can't Sony do the same? I expect this is more about damage control & ensuring longevity of this particular generation, & if Sony are smart, they'll rule out a PS5k, & start the next generation on the right footing.

Anyway, as a complete fanboy of VR, I'll be buying the Neo for PSVR reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Starting to wonder have people been trying Sony VR with the upgraded PS4 or the base model PS4.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Same. I think it's a good move by Sony, the current gen machines are already practically maxed out, & seem to have been launched underpowered for the desired life span. I think this will ensure the life span of the console. To think we're getting sub-60fps games on current generation consoles in 2016 is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

Is it possible it will break the unison of console releases between Sony & MS? Nintendo broke away, & seem to launch consoles mid way through the 'big hitters' console life span, so why can't Sony do the same? I expect this is more about damage control & ensuring longevity of this particular generation, & if Sony are smart, they'll rule out a PS5k, & start the next generation on the right footing.

Anyway, as a complete fanboy of VR, I'll be buying the Neo for PSVR reasons.

At EGX Rezzed a few weeks back, they were running them off the OG PS4 (as the break-out box was connected).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Otacon wrote: »
    At EGX Rezzed a few weeks back, they were running them off the OG PS4 (as the break-out box was connected).
    Is it possible though that the upgraded PS4 will also use the break-out box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'd say it will need the breakout box as it will just add to confusion to people trying to get it all setup.
    Sony will do everything to keep the cost of the PS4K down, so adding the guts to the breakout box into the PS4K does not make financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I'd say it will need the breakout box as it will just add to confusion to people trying to get it all setup.
    Sony will do everything to keep the cost of the PS4K down, so adding the guts to the breakout box into the PS4K does not make financial sense.

Possibly. I was basing this on the rumours so who knows what's true at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'd prefer to have the breakout box anyway, better that gets yanked onto the floor than the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I had considered going pc for this gen but i think this will definitely make me go to pc for the next gen time frame.

It will be really interesting to see how many gamers chose the PC route next time round.

PC + Nintendo machine will be my combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To think we're getting sub-60fps games on current generation consoles in 2016 is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

We're getting sub 30fps in a lot of cases. Fallout 4, Witcher 3 are two that spring to mind - visually just OK but framerates all over the place and often drop to 15-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It will be really interesting to see how many gamers chose the PC route next time round.

PC + Nintendo machine will be my combo.

I'm one of those "I can't afford the time to game but I can afford the consoles easily". I've been planning to pick up a solid PC for home dev work though so I might splurge a few extra quid on getting a decent gaming rig as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I will grumble if Destiny 2 comes along in 60FPS on the Neo and 30 on the standard machine, that will kick me in the balls enough to upgrade, and that's **** - I feel my hand would be forced....

I wonder if possible could a "break out box" for VR could upgrade the "old" PS4 to Neo features?

Similar to what Razer are doing with laptops and desktop GPUs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Fieldog wrote: »
    I wonder if possible could a "break out box" for VR could upgrade the "old" PS4 to Neo features?

Seriously doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Seriously doubt it

Thinking more about that, I think that works via USB C - which the PS4, or even my PC doesn't support, so that ones out the window!

I'll hold any fire until the "big reveal"...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Fieldog wrote: »
    Thinking more about that, I think that works via USB C - which the PS4, or even my PC doesn't support, so that ones out the window!

I'll hold any fire until the "big reveal"...
    It also works by just offloading the GPU work to the external card in the chassis. The PS4 update adds extra grunt on the CPU, GPU and RAM side, something you couldn't really do using a similar setup.

RedXIV wrote: »
    I'm one of those "I can't afford the time to game but I can afford the consoles easily". I've been planning to pick up a solid PC for home dev work though so I might splurge a few extra quid on getting a decent gaming rig as well

Yeah I think the lure of having a pretty darn good spec'd PC will win some over.

I won't be using it for dev work like yourself but lots of other officey and media stuff.

Plus I like to tinker and having built laptops and pc's in the past would see it as a long overdue project to be honest.

Consoles up to this point were just too easy. The lazy mans way essentially. Throw the disc in and off you go. Upgrade in 5 years or so.

Edit..I should clarify I know a well spec'd PC will cost a bit more than a Neo but long term it'll work out similar or cheaper depending how many full priced games you buy over a period of time plus you'll have greater control of when you phrase etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

What kind of ball park figure does it cost to build a decent but not top of the range gaming pc these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What kind of ball park figure does it cost to build a decent but not top of the range gaming pc these days.

About €600 to play most games at high settings, 60fps, basically zero load times, though the difference from €600 to €750 or 800 is pretty good if you can afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The scale starts from about €550 all the way up to about €1000 from what i see. €550 for a machine that will play most games at similar to better quality than any console. Main difference being you might have the same graphics settings/resolution but will be pushing higher fps.

€1000 would get you a very nice machine that borders on the enthusiast level.

Anywhere inbetween is a decent spot to be in regarding PC price/performance IMO. There are other considerations though,is a copy of windows needed,kb+m,monitor etc All can add to the cost. But you can get windows cheap on reddit to tide you over,grab an old 360 controller which would be plug and play if you have the lead and could play on same TV/Monitor using for console.

So sky is the limit regardimg how much you COULD spend but if you just want a decent machine capable of playimg modern games at decent settings and framerates i would say a budget of €550-600 would be a good starting point. Also beimg willing to buy second hand parts can really shave a few € off the cost or help squeeze more performance for the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I had considered going pc for this gen but i think this will definitely make me go to pc for the next gen time frame.

As a PC gamer and someone who has been playing on them for quite a long time, by all means do but ... be realistic here, PC gaming is not without its own problems. And spending 300-400 every 2-3 years would be cheap to keep on top of the latest games.

A top of the line GPU like the 980ti [which will probably be replaced in the coming months] will set you back €700 alone. Yes, obviously you don't need the highest end and there is a sweet point or fps to dollar ratio you can achieve if you do your research prior to purchasing. But even still, I would consider the total cost of purchase for its lifetime of use to be cheaper on consoles then PCs. Steam sales are great for getting cheap games but their standard prices are not much cheaper then the consoles.

Just did a quick check there on OCUK, a site you most likely would buy from and a 970 is £299 or €370. If I was to build any gaming machine today I would have that in it at a min and would expect probably about 2 years worth of playing games at high settings before you feel the need to start dropping settings. And even today, at card like that might struggle to play something like Fallout 4 at resolution beyond 1080p highest settings and keeping a consistent 60 fps. If this is what you are expecting.

Not trying to say "don't go PC" here, by all means do! The library of games is nearly endless and you will find unique games you find no where else not to mention the back catalogue going back decades at this stage.

But do not do so if you are thinking you giving the finger to Sony or something.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    As a PC gamer and someone who has been playing on them for quite a long time, by all means do but ... be realistic here, PC gaming is not without its own problems. And spending 300-400 every 2-3 years would be cheap to keep on top of the latest games.

A top of the line GPU like the 980ti [which will probably be replaced in the coming months] will set you back €700 alone. Yes, obviously you don't need the highest end and there is a sweet point or fps to dollar ratio you can achieve if you do your research prior to purchasing. But even still, I would consider the total cost of purchase for its lifetime of use to be cheaper on consoles then PCs. Steam sales are great for getting cheap games but their standard prices are not much cheaper then the consoles.

Just did a quick check there on OCUK, a site you most likely would buy from and a 970 is £299 or €370. If I was to build any gaming machine today I would have that in it at a min and would expect probably about 2 years worth of playing games at high settings before you feel the need to start dropping settings. And even today, at card like that might struggle to play something like Fallout 4 at resolution beyond 1080p highest settings and keeping a consistent 60 fps. If this is what you are expecting.

Not trying to say "don't go PC" here, by all means do! The library of games is nearly endless and you will find unique games you find no where else not to mention the back catalogue going back decades at this stage.

But do not do so if you are thinking you giving the finger to Sony or something.

Well you kind of are, but then taking that same finger and sticking it in your own eye.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Will probably upgrade, especially if there are good trade in deals on current PS4s.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Will probably upgrade, especially if there are good trade in deals on current PS4s.

With there being so many PS4 units out there I'd sell before the new PS4 releases.

There will be so many people trading in PS4 units the value per PS4 traded will most likely be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

With there being so many PS4 units out there I'd sell before the new PS4 releases.

There will be so many people trading in PS4 units the value per PS4 traded will most likely be awful.

That is a good point. I may just keep it and seutp it up on another TV in the house instead.

wes wrote: »
    That is a good point. I may just keep it and seutp it up on another TV in the house instead.

I'd say they'll have to do some sort of deals for those looking to trade up to entice people over. I don't see it being a clean sweep of users tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The software people don't usually do those deals themselves, its usually the retailers. So hope Gamestop is feeling generous :pac:

The software people don't usually do those deals themselves, its usually the retailers. So hope Gamestop is feeling generous :pac:
    Generosity and Gamestop. Probably the first time they have been mentioned in a post together.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dont really play games on my ps4 (sounds stupid i knw) so i just it for Blu Rays, 3d blu rays (there pretty good on it) and Netflix/wwe network etc.

dont think i will be upgrading. Was going to buy the VR headset at launch but will wait a few months pending on reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

PTH2009 wrote: »
    so i just it for Blu Rays, 3d blu rays (there pretty good on it)

Really? The only Blu Ray I used on my PS4 was the Dark Knight trilogy and I had to have to tv up full to drown out the sound of the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

My PS4 is my primary blu ray player also, I have over 200 of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

My PS4 is my primary blu ray player also, I have over 200 of them!

Wow. Your gaff must be roasting with 200 PS4's :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't think I'd be upgrading. I couldn't justify it. I don't own a 4K TV nor do I plan to for quite some time.

I'd rather fork out the money for Nintendo's new console instead.

Advertisement