Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That_Guy wrote: »
    I don't think I'd be upgrading. I couldn't justify it. I don't own a 4K TV nor do I plan to for quite some time.

I don't own a 4k tv either, I'm far more interested in the frame rate gains at 1080p than I am in 4k images (4k gaming on consoles is a LONG way off imo). Primarily though, I feel the PS4K will provide a better VR experience with PSVR, compared to the regular PS4. So for me, it makes a lot of sense to upgrade. I've already sold my PS4, so have a significant chunk of the cash there waiting for this. I decided to sell before the current value drops on them.
    I'd rather fork out the money for Nintendo's new console instead.

I bought the 3DS & Wii U at launch. It turned out that there was to be no real reason to own either of them until about two years after that. I'm not saying the NX will be the same, likely not, but I feel the PS4K is a far better investment at this current time given the pre-existing library, and the potential for VR. I'll get an NX in 2018 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That_Guy wrote: »
    I couldn't justify it. I don't own a 4K TV nor do I plan to for quite some time.

That's fine because the 4.5 won't be doing 4K either. It will be doing 1080p as a minimum requirement as stated by Sony in the leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It better be silent compared to my Launch PS4 (747 more like!) if they are over clocking the processor and upgrading the GPU then I can see it running hotter then the latest PS4 Rev and just as noisy as the launch one! That could be a deal breaker for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Wow. Your gaff must be roasting with 200 PS4's :rolleyes:

All those extension plugs, my electric bill is through the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

It better be silent compared to my Launch PS4 (747 more like!) if they are over clocking the processor and upgrading the GPU then I can see it running hotter then the latest PS4 Rev and just as noisy as the launch one! That could be a deal breaker for me!

I'm the exact same, if it's quiet I'll upgrade if it's just as noisy I won't bother.

• Advertisement

It won't nessessarly run hotter as they have shrunk the die on the CPU and GPU, when you do that you generate less heat in general, so while they bumped up the clock speeds the heat output may be in and around the same as the older die.

In the new smaller 14nm process that is allowing more room on the GPU to go from 16 to 32 CUs on the chipset.

Ultimately its the fan type that is causing the noise, if the console was made bigger, a larger fan running at a lower rpm will clear as much heat as a smaller fan running at a higher rpm to make up the difference

It won't nessessarly run hotter as they have shrunk the die on the CPU and GPU, when you do that you generate less heat in general, so while they bumped up the clock speeds the heat output may be in and around the same as the older die.

In the new smaller 14nm process that is allowing more room on the GPU to go from 16 to 32 CUs on the chipset.

Ultimately its the fan type that is causing the noise, if the console was made bigger, a larger fan running at a lower rpm will clear as much heat as a smaller fan running at a higher rpm to make up the difference

True that's why the Xbox One runs so quite, it's an ugly box but it has decent ventilation and a decent cooler inside it, in fact I could see them do similar updates without having to change the Xbox one case, I understand that they will shrink the dies for not GPU and CPU but I will need to be convinced that it will run quite with the poor cooler Sony currently use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

am i right in saying in a multiplayer game a player with higher fps is at an advantage over a player with a low fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    I'm the exact same, if it's quiet I'll upgrade if it's just as noisy I won't bother.

It should be fine noise wise, my CUH-1216a is whisper quiet compared to how loud my launch model could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

am i right in saying in a multiplayer game a player with higher fps is at an advantage over a player with a low fps?

No, it just looks better. There's technically a difference in how fast its displayed but its like 6-7 milliseconds or something I think, taking latency and screen refresh rates into account there's zero gain unless you're a machine.

• Advertisement

This raises another question so for multiplayer if you use current gen PS4 when you output to a 4K display there is a certain amount of lag introduced because the electronics in the tv have to upscale the 1080P output from the PS4 to the 4K resolution of the screen, this introduces lag say for FPS multiplayer games, thus your better off hanging onto a 1080P tv, but if the PS4 Neo upscales games to 4K before outputting the 4K tv will this theoretically reduce the upscaling lag by a millisecond or two, or will it make no difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Yes. For a decent player I'd say so. Although I'd say they'll counter this by locking the frame rate to 60 fps for both versions when it comes to multiplayer shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Xenji wrote: »
    It should be fine noise wise, my CUH-1216a is whisper quiet compared to how loud my launch model could be.

Was thinking 'bout getting one of them this year as I sold my PS4 few months due to the noise. But if the 4.5/4K (whatever it's called) is out this year I might wait and see, depending on price.

Yes. For a decent player I'd say so. Although I'd say they'll counter this by locking the frame rate to 60 fps for both versions when it comes to multiplayer shooters.

Not a hope in hell, how are they magically going to lock the old PS4s framerate to 60fps? Unless we go back to early PS3 level graphics for games running on it that is.

There's no perceivable difference, the difference from going from a TV to a monitor would be much greater than from 30fps to 60fps when its just response times taken into account

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive yet to come across a game that plays better at 30fps in compariaon to 60fps. When a game is designed around running at 60 and is well optimized the difference is huge. Especially in fast paced games,the overall experience is improved and much smoother in motion.
    There will be the odd game with physics tied to framerate or other such nonsense which is just bad design IMO but in general there should be no reason to want games to run at 30fps over 60fps.

Will playing against people at lower refresh rates suddenly turn you into rambo? No lol. Skill will always be a factor,maybe pro gaming every millisecond counts but doubt average joe would be able to take much advantage.

Ive friends who play games on terrible laptops at low settings and resolution yet they dont finish bottom of the leaderboard in shooters. So better "graphics" doesnt mean any meaningful advantage in my experience.

Not a hope in hell, how are they magically going to lock the old PS4s framerate to 60fps? Unless we go back to early PS3 level graphics for games running on it that is.

There's no perceivable difference, the difference from going from a TV to a monitor would be much greater than from 30fps to 60fps when its just response times taken into account
    I am talking about multiplayer shooters which are already 60 fps on the current PS4. It is already locked to 60 fps. So if the upgraded PS4 can do more than 60 FPS they'd simply lock it across both consoles to make it balanced.

I am talking about multiplayer shooters which are already 60 fps on the current PS4. It is already locked to 60 fps. So if the upgraded PS4 can do more than 60 FPS they'd simply lock it across both consoles to make it balanced.

Wasn't aware so many games ran at 60fps, but they're hardly going to have games running at 90 or 120fps when TVs can only display 60?

Wasn't aware so many games ran at 60fps, but they're hardly going to have games running at 90 or 120fps when TVs can only display 60?

We were discussing more about the advantage that a player could have. As in they might game on a monitor. I know many do however the majority use TVs.

For the multiplayer shooters they usually lower the graphics quality to get a constant 60 FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Question is what will the price of it be, and will our current versions still hold enough value for a trade in

rogercross wrote: »
    Question is what will the price of it be, and will our current versions still hold enough value for a trade in
    I'd expect no matter what the price is there will be an enormous amount of PS4 consoles traded in.
    The way it works in all the stores is the more 2nd hand units they have in stock the less they start to give for trade-in, both cash and credit.

• Advertisement

I'd expect no matter what the price is there will be an enormous amount of PS4 consoles traded in.
    The way it works in all the stores is the more 2nd hand units they have in stock the less they start to give for trade-in, both cash and credit.

Yea I'd expect CEX to get hit a lot with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pipercadet

Bit gimmicky, Sega went down this route. Just release a new console in 3 years time rather than an upgrade. If Playstation VR isn't compatible with current Ps4 then why have it in this generation. Let high end PC gaming iron out the bugs of VR then have a slimmed down, tested version for the broader more casual console gamers.

At this stage it's all but confirmed that both MS and Sony will show of new hardware refresh consoles at E3 both featuring VR headsets.

Basically current hardware is not good enough for VR but the hardware exists now for it so that's why they are pushing it.

I still think VR is a gimmick until hardware jumps a few more generations but will happily take something that can do better graphics at higher frame rates.

I do agree that VR should hold off completely until the next consoles at least and don't shoe horn VR into the current PS4 SKU as it will just be a sub par experience with what are basically just tech demos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

pipercadet wrote: »
    Bit gimmicky, Sega went down this route. Just release a new console in 3 years time rather than an upgrade. If Playstation VR isn't compatible with current Ps4 then why have it in this generation. Let high end PC gaming iron out the bugs of VR then have a slimmed down, tested version for the broader more casual console gamers.

Not exactly, Sega released add-ons for the Mega Drive, instead of releasing a Mega Drive 1.5. They planned to release a standalone console called the Neptune, as a bridge between the MD and Saturn, but it never surfaced. The 32X was not a new stand alone console, as it couldn't function without the MD.

Sony are doing a Neptune, which is what Sega should have done (if they insisted on an upgrade).

At this stage it's all but confirmed that both MS and Sony will show of new hardware refresh consoles at E3 both featuring VR headsets.

Basically current hardware is not good enough for VR but the hardware exists now for it so that's why they are pushing it.

I still think VR is a gimmick until hardware jumps a few more generations but will happily take something that can do better graphics at higher frame rates.

I do agree that VR should hold off completely until the next consoles at least and don't shoe horn VR into the current PS4 SKU as it will just be a sub par experience with what are basically just tech demos.

I just haven't seen enough in the previews yet to justify the purchase of a PSVR, though if theres a decent trade in price or offer id likely opt for a PS 4.5 at some stage, partly for the upgraded hardware and so theres some future proofing for a potential vr purchase down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Gotta say, I find this frame rate pissing contest a load of nonsense. Leave it to the PCmasterrace spods who've nothing better to be doing.

dohboy wrote: »
    Gotta say, I find this frame rate pissing contest a load of nonsense.

For VR to actually work the framerates have to be up there or people will be suffering motion sickness, pissing contest has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Really hoping for official reveal and pricing and **** at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Really hoping for official reveal and pricing and **** at E3.

Hoping for the same. Have read in a few places that the Tokyo Game Show may be where Neo is announced. Hope they're wrong and it's at E3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I don't think they'll announce a console revision four months ahead of its release. It would cannibalise their console sales.

Perhaps a price drop first at E3, followed by the Neo reveal at TGS.

Advertisement