Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you upgrade to a PlayStation 4.5 if it's released?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say they'll have the announcement ready to go and if Microsoft announce theirs, Sony will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Actually think I will buy an Xbox One next year (if the reports are to be believed) if it will be a good bit more powerful than the Neo - Neo only seems a slight upgrade to me...

Interesting times ahead... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Fieldog wrote: »
    Actually think I will buy an Xbox One next year (if the reports are to be believed) if it will be a good bit more powerful than the Neo - Neo only seems a slight upgrade to me...

If the new Xbox one turned out to be able to use the Rift i'd consider it too.

rogercross wrote: »
    If the new Xbox one turned out to be able to use the Rift i'd consider it too.

I have a VR ready PC so I'm gonna leave VR for another year I'd say and see where it's at when these devices are common enough...

Vive looks better to me at a glance but I will definitely have to try all options first...

I think when the "triple A" titles are all VR capable the big shift will then happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Even if the new XBox One is more powerful, they shouldn't be alienating current XBox One owners so will still be restricted by what can be played on that. The same with games playing on both PS4 and Neo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Even if the new XBox One is more powerful, they shouldn't be alienating current XBox One owners so will still be restricted by what can be played on that. The same with games playing on both PS4 and Neo

It'll be the exact same as the difference between the PS4 and XOne, the more powerful new version will run at 900p/1080p60 while the weaker will run at 720p/900p60. To put into perspective, obviously all this is conjecture direct from my ass.

It'll be a disaster if they both can't run at 1080p60 for their lifetimes though, graphics haven't improved that much in the last 8 years or so, and won't improve much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I just wonder if it isn't a whole new generation we'll see. They're saying it'll be possibly four times the power of the XBO, isn't that pretty much jump the XBO had from the 360. I'm guessing that both MS* and Sony see the future as a more PC like evolution, faster revisions with BC.

I'm really interested in the potential of the new Xbox. Bought the XBO just after Christmas and it was a mistake. I've no need for it with the PS4 and I say this as someone who loved the 360 and never owned a PS before. But the potential for the Rift has me intrigued. I've a PSVR pre-ordered, but Neo even seems quite underpowered for it to reach it's full potential. The new Xbox specs (while still not amazing) offer a better baseline.

*That's assuming Nadella doesn't sell the whole Xbox division off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

1080p/60 is a must for me in any upgrade talk. Anything less why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Another thing to consider is if there will be any flaws in the new design.

The first version of the PS4 had the loud fans and the sensors at the front randomly ejecting discs. Sony have had time to fix those with the newest model out now. But if they're making so many changes for this 4.5 model I would wonder if it will also introduce new issues as well.

In a way i'd love to be able to wait 6 months after the release and see, of course my current model would have next to no value by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

rogercross wrote: »

The first version of the PS4 had the loud fans and the sensors at the front randomly ejecting discs.

The amount of times I've pressed the power button instead of the eject button is absurd and I've had my console for nearly three years now.

Just give us the aul touch buttons a la the PS3 Slim.

I was pretty adamant that I wouldn't upgrade to a 4.5/Neo but I'm open minded to see what Sony has to offer.

I imagine most of their press conference at E3 will revolve around VR but if Microsoft announce their console/price point they may have to play an audible and release more specs than they were prepared to show/tell.

It makes more sense to go all guns blazing on this to sway early adapaters/console owners who haven't made the jump to this gen yet.

Casual gamers are more likely to tune into E3 than the Tokyo Game Show. I imagine there'll be a price drop on the current model and then the 4.5 to be about 50 quid extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I hope your not basing this statement on this article
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51972/new-xbox-5-times-more-powerful-ps4-neo-rocks-10-tflops/index.html

The author takes it in the a$$ from Microsoft and you cant believe anything he says as he is totally bias.

Here are some other articles he wrote sucking on some fat Microsoft ...hard , well ,you know :p
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51730/microsoft-unique-position-disrupt-sonys-console-reign/index.html
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51727/sonys-new-playstation-neo-pissing-lots-developers/index.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51972/new-xbox-5-times-more-powerful-ps4-neo-rocks-10-tflops/index.html

The author takes it in the a$$ from Microsoft and you cant believe anything he says as he is totally bias.

Here are some other articles he wrote sucking on some fat Microsoft ...hard , well ,you know :p
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51730/microsoft-unique-position-disrupt-sonys-console-reign/index.html
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51727/sonys-new-playstation-neo-pissing-lots-developers/index.html

I didn't see them articles, I'm just interested to see where "this gen" goes if we are getting console refreshes mid life already!

It will be interesting to see if both go full steam ahead announcing them at the weekend.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Are you 14 years old?

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Are you 14 years old?

???

Can you please add some context :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

???

Can you please add some context :rolleyes:

You already did that for him, hence he quoted your post.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well if microsoft were to go that route in that article expect to pay handsomely for the new xbox. Like €1000 handsomely. They would have to pair that with a much better cpu also than the current jaguar low tdp chip,which struggles in some current games,looking at you GTA V.

I hope we get a bit more info on both at E3. The rumour ive read about the PS4.5 is that its gpu may be based the new R9 480 from AMD which puts it in and around gtx 970/980 territory if early reports are to be believed. Which is a decent leap from the current PS4. Again id like to see the cpu looked at here and would hope they dont just keep the same one and up the clock speeds.

If both these turn out to be true id say the PS4.5 would be a mid gen refresh where as the Xbox would be a major leap not just a refresh,it would be next next gen:)

Intersting times indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No way would i pay 1000 for the new xbox regardless of performance.

If i was to spend 1000 euro it would be on a pc build

You already did that for him, hence he quoted your post.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great answer. Are you a mind reader ?

You shoulda just said " your mum " or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

So Sony have confirmed it's happening, although they say it will not be at E3 which is disappointing.

Source
    Andrew House, president and global chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment, told the Financial Times that the “high-end PS4” would be more expensive than the current $350 version.
    “It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4,” he said. “We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle.”

However, in a move that may disappoint some fans, Mr House said that Sony would not be unveiling its new console next week and refused to say when or at what price the unit would go on sale. “We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety,” he said.

Nonetheless, he downplayed concerns that the move would cause interoperability problems between the old and new PS4 hardware.
    “All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nonetheless, he downplayed concerns that the move would cause interoperability problems between the old and new PS4 hardware.
    “All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,” he said.
    Thats scary.

So there might be titles that developers will just optimise to work on the standard PS4 and call it a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Are you 14 years old?

That's prettty unfair to most 14 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thats scary.

So there might be titles that developers will just optimise to work on the standard PS4 and call it a day.

All games from October were to require a neo mode, that was the original rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Thats scary.

He could be talking about existing games that are already out, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Think we'll see a drop in the price for the current PS4 or will they keep it at 350?

Varik wrote: »
    All games from October were to require a neo mode, that was the original rumour.
    Hopefully.

What I'd be hoping to hear is that its mandatory for devs to create a neo version of every game going forward after its release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

What I'd be hoping to hear is that its mandatory for devs to create a neo version of every game going forward after its release.

Not sure that should be a requirement, especially for indie developers.

I assume the console will have a built-in upscaler for 4K content so it may not benefit, smaller, less graphically intensive titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Benzino wrote: »
    So Sony have confirmed it's happening, although they say it will not be at E3 which is disappointing

Wonder does this mean a 2017 launch or a unpopular price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wonder does this mean a 2017 launch or a unpopular price.

I still think the initial TGS reveal with an October release date is the most likely. They will want the least amount of time between full reveal and launch as possible, so as not to kill the sales of the current PS4.

I could see them giving the PS4 a price cut at E3 to keep sales going until then.

Otacon wrote: »
    Not sure that should be a requirement, especially for indie developers.

I assume the console will have a built-in upscaler for 4K content so it may not benefit, smaller, less graphically intensive titles.

I do believe it should be a requirement however not for indies that aren't graphically demanding.

If people are going to shell out €400+ for a PS4.5 they would want to be getting almost all titles optimised for the NEO or it could become the Sega 32x where only some games are optimised for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Keep it civil and appropriate please folks, no need at all for some of the comments above.

Advertisement