Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Scooter won't start :(

• 25-03-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Finally got a Honda scv 100 lead from my brother

The damn thing won't start - it backfires out the carb

I've cleaned the carb, checked the fuel line, spark plug working fine

Amy ideas? Very disappointed :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Air filter????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Check airfilter and renew if necessary, is the carb cleaned properly? how did you clean it? I suggest getting it ultrasonically cleaned.
    Fresh fuel, not the old stuff in the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Yes, fresh fuel is the next thing to try.
    And also check inlet manifold is not damaged and air-tight.

I checked it was a 4-stroke so..
    A carb back-fire could be incorrect timing, burnt\sticking valve. Was the cyl head off recently? Does the compression feel healthy when kicking it or pushing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Didn't change the air filter yet

Seems to be backfire now coming from the carb

I cleaned it using spray thoroughly, to ensure honest the carb was ridiculously clean before I did anything to it

Yes, fresh fuel is the next thing to try.
    And also check inlet manifold is not damaged and air-tight.

I checked it was a 4-stroke so..
    A carb back-fire could be incorrect timing, burnt\sticking valve. Was the cyl head off recently? Does the compression feel healthy when kicking it or pushing it?

Poured in fresh fuel on top of the stuff that was in it. I'm thinking now I shouldve drained it before

Compression seems fine - would need a tester to determine properly

• Advertisement

Is the float valve and needle free? not sticking, how about the choke circuit is that OK and not blocked with varnish or green mung from evaporated fuel?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is the float valve and needle free? not sticking, how about the choke circuit is that OK and not blocked with varnish or green mung from evaporated fuel?

Float in the carb seems fine - engine won't start even after spraying some easy start

Float in the carb seems fine - engine won't start even after spraying some easy start
    Exhaust blocked?

Exhaust blocked?

Nope! :-(

Drain tank, shake it and make sure the tank isn't full of rust and crud.
    Fill with fresh fuel and make sure there is an inline fuel filter fitted.
    Check the fuel flows with a catch tank.

Check sparkplug for deposits and clean or better still renew.
    Make sure all the connections from the HT lead back to coil are good and not corroded.
    Check connections from Coil back to CDI clean all connections.
    Verify spark by earthing plug body to a metal part of the engine and cranking the engine, there should be a fat blue spark.

Check oil level.
    Refit plug and fuel line and kick it over.

• Advertisement

Make sure all the connections from the HT lead back to coil are good and not corroded.
    Verify spark by earthing plug body to a metal part of the engine and cranking the engine, there should be a fat blue spark.

Check oil level.

Cheers I'll follow all that tomorrow, been at it all day long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Don't despair - yet! Work through CJ's check-list.
    Then, if you are despairing, get a friend to help you try bump-starting it down the road.
    Is there fuel on the spark plug?. I'd expect it to be wet after all this kick starting?
    Could the spark be shorting from plug cap or plug lead to the head? You'd hear the crack and see the spark in the dark.

Check oil level.

Zero joy! A depressing weekend for me :(

I ordered another spark plug on the off chance but it looks good to me

Anywhere in dublin i could leave it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation now.

Suzuki Bandit 250 won't start, I took off carbs to clean as bike wasn't running right previously to cleaning, the problem was it wouldn't hold its idle but would drive if you keep the throttle open.

I took off the carbs and stripped them down completely, cleaning everything down with carb cleaner put them back together , now its completely refusing to start. I have taken off plugs and are sparking okay, also tried to start without the airbox, still nothing, took carbs off again, and there seems to be fuel in them.

Anyone any ideas.

BTW never ever ever ever am I buying a Suzuki again there a pile of ****é. Are the new Bandits fuel injected or carbed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TallGlass wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation now.

Suzuki Bandit 250 won't start, I took off carbs to clean as bike wasn't running right previously to cleaning, the problem was it wouldn't hold its idle but would drive if you keep the throttle open.

I took off the carbs and stripped them down completely, cleaning everything down with carb cleaner put them back together , now its completely refusing to start. I have taken off plugs and are sparking okay, also tried to start without the airbox, still nothing, took carbs off again, and there seems to be fuel in them.

Anyone any ideas.

BTW never ever ever ever am I buying a Suzuki again there a pile of ****é. Are the new Bandits fuel injected or carbed?

What do you mean by completely refusing? Is it completely dead, does the starter turn over?

Del2005 wrote: »
    What do you mean by completely refusing? Is it completely dead, does the starter turn over?

Sorry, yes she is trying her best, it's turning over just not doing anything else. Then the battery goes flat.

Sorry, yes she is trying her best, it's turning over just not doing anything else. Then the battery goes flat.

When you took the carbs apart did you remove the jets? Getting them right again can be a pain. Have you verified that fuel is flowing through the system? Has it got a spark?

Del2005 wrote: »
    When you took the carbs apart did you remove the jets? Getting them right again can be a pain. Have you verified that fuel is flowing through the system? Has it got a spark?

Took the jets off and just screwed them back on. I might go down the garage tomorrow and use the air compressor to force some air into it. Failing it I might just drop it into the garage.

Took the jets off and just screwed them back on. I might go down the garage tomorrow and use the air compressor to force some air into it. Failing it I might just drop it into the garage.

You can't just screw the jets back in. Google to see if anyone has posted the settings otherwise get the garage to fix it. Don't blow it with an airline.

Well lads after all the trouble of cleaning the carb, buying easy start etc etc

A new spark plug got it going again!! :rolleyes:

Ain't that always the way! Was sure the spark was fine - just goes to show

• Advertisement
Advertisement