Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from R9 290??

Options
  • 25-03-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hi all, was playing the new need for speed game earlier when I heard a click noise, screens went black and i got that weird circuit burning smell. OH SH1t...:eek:

Thought I'd fried my mb at first, but discovered the smell was coming from the gpu and sure enough the pc fired up once id removed the gpu. It was a asus r9 290oc if anyones interested, which id only had about a year and a half. In fairness to the card, i'd become a bit lazy with regular cleaning lately and what with kids, job etc, i'd only give it a clean once a month these days.

I wouldn't mind but need for speed isn't even that good, and I was only playing it to get a break from stardew.. lol

Anyway, whats a good replacement for the 290 for 1440p and hopefullt vr down the line. Hoping to keep it around €500 ish or less.

My other specs are i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz, z77 mb, 16GB of vengence 1600Mhz ram and corsair cx600m psu.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Once a month is lazy? :eek: Mine is in bad shape then so :pac:

390 is the next logical step up I guess, its about €350 for a new one, I dunno if a 390X is worth it to you. 380X is about equal to a 290 iirc, they're under €300

Didn't see VR there. There's nothing geared for VR at the moment, though the 390 and 390X should be fine for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Once a month is lazy? :eek: Mine is in bad shape then so :pac:

390 is the next logical step up I guess, its about €350 for a new one, I dunno if a 390X is worth it to you. 380X is about equal to a 290 iirc, they're under €300

Thanks DS.It must have been a bad month though as it was pretty caked :o

I should have mentioned, I've an old 2gb 7870 to keep me going if there's anything amazing around the corner i should wait for..

Not sure how that'd push 1440p but its probably worth waiting for Pascal and Polaris in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Thanks DS.It must have been a bad month though as it was pretty caked :o

I should have mentioned, I've an old 2gb 7870 to keep me going if there's anything amazing around the corner i should wait for..

According to the recent AMD press event next few months there should be a new set of cards coming oit , which is going to help me in my future decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I ended up ordering the msi 390x. Should be perfect for 1440p.

Might start saving for a new build for next year anyway rather than a new vr headset as I'm not mad about getting the first wave of a new tech. Usually I find it better to wait until price lowers and teething problems solved.

Depending on the everyday performance of the 390x, I might keep it for this build or transport it to new one and sell old build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

390X will drive 1440p well enough. If it was me, I would wait for the next gen cards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Not exactly an option for him to wait though if he wants to do any meaningful gaming when the card is busted. Considering my 760 is able to push 1440p (on less demanding games), the 390 would easily push it even on demanding games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

He has a 7870 lying around. Make do with it for the moment maybe and buy a newer card, or wait till the new cards come out and hopefully snag a fury or 390x.
    Then again, now is good too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Missed that bit! Yeah a 7870 is still a grand card. Definitely worth waiting for the newer cards. Even the first few cards released(sounds like they will be the low/mid end unless I've gotten my wires crossed) should be indicative of how well that die shrink has worked out for AMD and nVidia :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement