Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the asshole?

Options
  • 25-03-2016 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

We've been providing a service for a client for about a year now. We gave them a long grace period initially for various reasons that I was fine with.

Eventually they were getting enough value out of the service that I was happy to introduce the charge (a monthly fee) to the amount that was originally agreed.

Since charging them, they've paid one month out of 6. I've been chasing them a bit but it hasn't been my priority. I'd send the odd mail every now and again to remind them.

It's been going on too long now at this stage, so I sent another reminder mail about 2-3 weeks ago. No response, so I sent a text message saying we require payment or the service will be shut off in a week.

He then rang me giving out, saying I need to learn how to do business and not be sending threats by text message and that we'd get our money etc.

Who's the asshole?

Comments

Oedo wrote: »
    We've been providing a service for a client for about a year now. We gave them a long grace period initially for various reasons that I was fine with.

Eventually they were getting enough value out of the service that I was happy to introduce the charge (a monthly fee) to the amount that was originally agreed.

Since charging them, they've paid one month out of 6. I've been chasing them a bit but it hasn't been my priority. I'd send the odd mail every now and again to remind them.

It's been going on too long now at this stage, so I sent another reminder mail about 2-3 weeks ago. No response, so I sent a text message saying we require payment or the service will be shut off in a week.

He then rang me giving out, saying I need to learn how to do business and not be sending threats by text message and that we'd get our money etc.

Who's the asshole?

He is. I bet he gets paid for HIS services on time. There is a late payment penalty law in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Who's the asshole?

They are. Lesson here is never do or provide anything for free, or that theres no cost to the other party. They have to have skin in the game or else they won't take you or your product/service seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You do sounds like your messing a bit emailing and texting, send your invoice if no response in 24hrs pick up the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Oedo

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    You do sounds like your messing a bit emailing and texting, send your invoice if no response in 24hrs pick up the phone.

This is what I wasn't sure about. My sense was that they'd be the type to turn stale if any kind of pressure was put on them so I held back from imposing the charge on them until I knew for a fact they were getting a profitable return from the service, because we'd get a decent return in the long run. Because we've given them so much leeway I thought there'd be some reciprocation there and a want to keep things less hardline, but the apathy around payments from their end has pushed it now.

It might appear contra indicated, but I find a fax often promotes a good response. Something along the lines of, the accompanying invoice/s remain unpaid. Please advise if there is an outstanding issue needs addressing to get them resolved.

I think it is that other people in the business will see how it is run that gets it taken care of.

• Advertisement

This is what I wasn't sure about. My sense was that they'd be the type to turn stale if any kind of pressure was put on them so I held back from imposing the charge on them until I knew for a fact they were getting a profitable return from the service, because we'd get a decent return in the long run. Because we've given them so much leeway I thought there'd be some reciprocation there and a want to keep things less hardline, but the apathy around payments from their end has pushed it now.

Let it turn stale, you are not getting paid anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It might appear contra indicated, but I find a fax often promotes a good response. Something along the lines of, the accompanying invoice/s remain unpaid. Please advise if there is an outstanding issue needs addressing to get them resolved.

I think it is that other people in the business will see how it is run that gets it taken care of.

Or send details of the outstanding amount on a postcard.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pick up the phone tell them what you've said there, confirm the amount to be paid, issue the invoice and agree then that you will invoice every month and agree the amount and who you should be sending the invoices to for payment etc, for invoicing you'll be dealing with whoever looks after that not, texting the boss might only be winding him up as he might be paying someone else to look after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Perhaps there is some recourse along the lines of what is mentioned in this recent thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057573206

Especially posts #5 and #8

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

We've been providing a service for a client for about a year now.<snip>

Who's the asshole?

I'd say he is but I'd ask for clarification on one point.

It sounds like you've been working for free for a whole year?

In the original agreement, did you (plural) agree that after a defined number of months that you would start charging? In other words, when did the client think he was going to have to start paying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Who's the asshole?

Is nobody honest enough to tell you the truth?
    Easy. You are. Face facts. You (for whatever daft reason) indulged a customer by giving them extended credit. For a YEAR you carried their business at the risk to your own business, your livelihood and that of your employees/dependents. Now you have started to bill them, they have paid one month (out of SIX). Response? You just send them the ‘odd’ mail ‘every now and again’. Is that credit control? Is that managing your business? Then they frighten you off with a few threats. Boo hoo!

Talk to someone who knows about credit control and ask them to show you how to put in the boot, as you clearly have no idea. Blunt, but accurate. Go save yourself before it is too late

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I do have the same issue with a couple of problem clients. If you give an inch, they take the proverbial. I have introduced strict payment deadlines and if a second failed payment arises, I cut the service. End of story. It stays offline until arrears are settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Is nobody honest enough to tell you the truth?
    Easy. You are. Face facts. You (for whatever daft reason) indulged a customer by giving them extended credit. For a YEAR you carried their business at the risk to your own business, your livelihood and that of your employees/dependents. Now you have started to bill them, they have paid one month (out of SIX). Response? You just send them the ‘odd’ mail ‘every now and again’. Is that credit control? Is that managing your business? Then they frighten you off with a few threats. Boo hoo!

Talk to someone who knows about credit control and ask them to show you how to put in the boot, as you clearly have no idea. Blunt, but accurate. Go save yourself before it is too late

This is how I read it. Literally every sentence of your (OP) post is a business WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

Instead of the odd e-mail n phone call, would you not call into the place, see the boss man n tell him you need the cash?

It's a lot easier to not pay attention to an e-mail n phone call than it is to someone in front of u.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Who is the asshole? The guy who took it for free, or the guy that gave it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pedro summed it up perfectly.

Final invoice listing outstanding payments and due date Ot you pull the service.

The only fool is you op for giving him 12 months free and even then not bothering with invoices and getting paid.

Good to see a bit of mixed and varying views!!

I get how this looks from an outside point of view but let me say in my defence;

Having this client actively using the service made it easier for us to get other clients.

The client wasn't initially getting value from the service and I knew (as has evidently been proven!) that they'd have a problem paying for it. This should have no bearing on whether they should pay or not, but my priority was growing the client base.

We're not talking about big sums here. My business certainly didn't hinge on getting payment from this client. If their paying had a bigger impact I certainly wouldn't have been this casual about it all.

I haven't been frightened by them or anything. At this point I'm indifferent on whether they continue using the service or not - not worth the hassle dealing with such individuals.

My next step will be putting everything in black and white and requesting regular automated payments or cancellation of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Good to see a bit of mixed and varying views!!

I get how this looks from an outside point of view but let me say in my defence;

Having this client actively using the service made it easier for us to get other clients.

The client wasn't initially getting value from the service and I knew (as has evidently been proven!) that they'd have a problem paying for it. This should have no bearing on whether they should pay or not, but my priority was growing the client base.

We're not talking about big sums here. My business certainly didn't hinge on getting payment from this client. If their paying had a bigger impact I certainly wouldn't have been this casual about it all.

I haven't been frightened by them or anything. At this point I'm indifferent on whether they continue using the service or not - not worth the hassle dealing with such individuals.

My next step will be putting everything in black and white and requesting regular automated payments or cancellation of service.

If that is really the case, why post the question on here at all? Confused!

pedronomix wrote: »
    If that is really the case, why post the question on here at all? Confused!

To see if my approach was very rude - I didn't think it was but the client seemed to be very offended so i wanted some other opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sending a text seeking payment is not professional, and even more so if done during a holiday period outside working hours. Imagine if you received such a text while at home with the family.

Once back in the office tomorrow, establish proper credit control and debt management procedures. Learn about statements and dunning letters. And don't be afraid to cut off service to a client who isn't paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

.......and don't work for nothing, for a year, ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

You got something from them in return, having them as a base customer. As you say this allowed you to sell to others. There is definite value in that, however at some point they need to pay. I would just put them on notice that the service will stop in a month if payment isn't received. As a by product it will tell you if you have a proper business as if they let you go then it might raise more important questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Although my services/goods may have been different;
    OP is aware that they built business by having this client. More importantly they may well lose existing and future business clients by pi#$ing the "asshole" off. May win the battle, ...

When I was dealing with late payment issues for goods or services, very often it was finally resolved by a "courtesy call" to sit and ask how all the services/goods were progressing and was there any issues?
    If all satisfactory it was the perfect op to present invoice and agree a payment schedule.

Advertisement