Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Dog Training

• 25-03-2016 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a sheep dog puppy and he seems desperate to herd whatever he can. I would like to take him to training classes. I live in Westmeath. Does anyone know anyone who provides this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eric Marley

Please consider consulting with your vet. He most probably has some good connections to dog trainers. Good luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There is a group, I think it's called Amateur Sheep Dog Trainers? They've a Facebook page, and know were trying to set up on a national basis.
    Worth a Google? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

DBB wrote: »
    There is a group, I think it's called Amateur Sheep Dog Trainers? They've a Facebook page, and know were trying to set up on a national basis.
    Worth a Google? :)

Here you go!
    http://www.adoptapet.ie/amateursheepdogsociety/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry OP, can you just clarify? Do you want to encourage the herding or discourage it? Do you want to train him herding properly or is it General puppy training you are after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irenec1

I living on an organic sheep farm that my friend owns, she is getting out of farming this year but will keep 10 sheep or so. I want to encourage the herding, right now he has started chasing the sheep, he is 5 months old. Im a vegetarian myself, so not into sheep farming, but I would like to take the dog to to trials for fun. He is a great dog, really smart, I think he would love it - he is trying to herd but doens't know what to do. I am new to this, lived in a city all my life. The link above is really helpful, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

AFAIK you don't introduce the dog to the sheep until he has all his basic commands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Be very careful when introducing him to sheep. If done wrong and you're in deep trouble as he may get out one day and do damage. Another thing when training a sheepdog to herd he may become demented and try to get out if he isn't working every day. The dog here went berserk and used to try and jump walls to get out and when on walks pulled everytime we walked past sheep. I cannot let her off the lead due to this. Is it a border collie or sheepdog type of dog.

Another thing reign the dog in now and DO NOT allow him to run after the sheep uncontrolled. It will cause trouble down the line even if he is looks like he's only PLAYING WITH Them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

One thing- if you train your dog on sheep you CANNOT allow it to wander or put it out the door to exercise itself. It'll have to be either under your direct supervision or behind a fence it can't escape from, at all times. If he follows his desire to herd sheep and goes and finds some for himself, the farmer is perfectly entitled to shoot the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭georgieM

SearchTreibball it's a herding dog sports with exercise balls.

Advertisement