Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I waste money?

• 25-03-2016 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I got a 10 foot 7 weight rod as I was recommended by a fishing guide to fish a lake that commonly gets bursts of wind as my 5 weight was too light. Did I waste my time getting it as well as my money? Don't get me wrong the tackle is good it's just the fact that I got it. Like the brown trout are small but can still give a good fighting feel but they can go up to 2lbs. Like I am targeting sea trout which I know go up to 5lbs. Like this lake gets winds that just push my five weight line into a sloppy cast. This is why I got the 7 weight. Did I do wrong? Or do you think I did good? I already tried out the rod twice and I loved it and it ploughed through the wind not like my 5 weight. I love it but I don't know did I need to buy a rod like the 10 foot 7 weight or did I get the right rod?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Did you post this in the British fly forum website (flyfishing.co.uk) already? If you feel your casting has improved and your catching more fish, then it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FlyBoy1234

BrownTrout wrote: »
    Did you post this in the British fly forum website (flyfishing.co.uk) already? If you feel your casting has improved and your catching more fish, then it's a no brainer.

Wait ya I did but I want to see what Irish people think. I'm flyfisher147 but how do you know about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Because I'm a member of that forum and I read your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Fishing gear is never a waste of money

I have rods from 4-14 wt , it's always nice to have a choice :)

When the wind Is strong use the 7wt when it's calm use the 5wt

popsy09 wrote: »
    Fishing gear is never a waste of money

I have rods from 4-14 wt , it's always nice to have a choice :)

When the wind Is strong use the 7wt when it's calm use the 5wt

Thanks for that. The 7 weight is truly a very good rod :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes as popsy said gear isnever a waste (our wives might disagree :P) but I also have a variety of fly rods and has passed some on to relatives taking up the sport.

Given your initial gear was rather light you will appreciate having something stronger. Being honest I probably would't venture out on a lake with a 5w weight just in case i connected with something big and for the casting distance it would provide while drifting.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yes as popsy said gear isnever a waste (our wives might disagree :P) but I also have a variety of fly rods and has passed some on to relatives taking up the sport.

Given your initial gear was rather light you will appreciate having something stronger. Being honest I probably would't venture out on a lake with a 5w weight just in case i connected with something big and for the casting distance it would provide while drifting.

Yes I fish this lake that not many people know about and I fish from the shore as it's pretty small and doesn't need a boat but it often gets wind and which makes the fly not fishable which really disappointed me but not anymore since I got this rod and I know there are fish up to five or six pounds there.

Tight Lines,
    Olly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

not a waste of money at all. If you can cast better with it, then it was a good buy. Most of my fly fishing is done with a 10 foot 7 weight. That being said, I'm not a very experienced fly angler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

FlyBoy1234 wrote: »
    I got a 10 foot 7 weight rod as I was recommended by a fishing guide to fish a lake that commonly gets bursts of wind as my 5 weight was too light. Did I waste my time getting it as well as my money? Don't get me wrong the tackle is good it's just the fact that I got it. Like the brown trout are small but can still give a good fighting feel but they can go up to 2lbs. Like I am targeting sea trout which I know go up to 5lbs. Like this lake gets winds that just push my five weight line into a sloppy cast. This is why I got the 7 weight. Did I do wrong? Or do you think I did good? I already tried out the rod twice and I loved it and it ploughed through the wind not like my 5 weight. I love it but I don't know did I need to buy a rod like the 10 foot 7 weight or did I get the right rod?

10ft 7 weight will be very handy as said for gales, Also if there's sea trout there's probably a few salmon about so if you ever did hook into one you'd be sorted! No purchase is a waste :D

10ft 7 weight will be very handy as said for gales, Also if there's sea trout there's probably a few salmon about so if you ever did hook into one you'd be sorted! No purchase is a waste :D

There is salmon and sea trout and I am looking for salmon this year too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement