Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally unjustifiable ban from After hours

Options
  • 26-03-2016 12:17am

Earlier today I received a two week ban from after hours and to be honest it was beyond unfair.

The reason for the ban was "victim blaming" which appears to be bit of a buzz word recently in AH and usually used because the person disagrees with your opinion.

I was involved in a debate on the thread and a number of other posters held a similar view, I did not victim blame I gave an opinion based on the facts presented during a criminal trial which was the subject of the thread. I acknowledged from my very first post that I fully agreed that the person convicted was guilty but along with many other posters questioned the severity of the sentence. I feel I have been incredibly harshly treated in receiving a two week ban which I believe was really because some people disagreed with my opinion rather than I did anything wrong. Unsurprisingly on logging out and reading the thread it has continued exactly as it was when I was posting with many posters posting similar opinions to me yet I am banned?

I have received a small number of infractions and even fewer bans during my time on boards and I have never appealed a ban before as I could see that I was probably stepping out of line but I was extremely surprised and annoyed to open boards earlier and find I was banned, I had absolutely no idea why and the reasons given are nowhere near good enough to warrant a ban.

I have PM'd the mod and they will not overturn the ban.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi nox
    I can look into this for. Can you forward on the pms where you attempted to resolve the issue with the relevant mod?

Thx
    PR

Any update on this?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have the pms so will look at it shortly. Bear in mind mods are volunteers and you submitted your appeal over a bank holiday weekend so it will take longer than normal.

No bother, thanks for looking into it.

Hi Terrell Howling Nectarine

Thank you for your patience. It's been a bit of a mental week so baords had to take a backseat to real life for a while.

I have reviewed all the data available to me and find that the moderator acted properly in applying the 2 week ban.

To respond to your post below
    I was involved in a debate on the thread and a number of other posters held a similar view, I did not victim blame I gave an opinion based on the facts presented during a criminal trial which was the subject of the thread. I acknowledged from my very first post that I fully agreed that the person convicted was guilty but along with many other posters questioned the severity of the sentence. I feel I have been incredibly harshly treated in receiving a two week ban which I believe was really because some people disagreed with my opinion rather than I did anything wrong.

There is no issue with you questioning the severity of the sentence.
    Equally there is no issue where you argue that the person is or is not guilty. Neither are relevant with respect to your ban.

The issue was the following posts you made
    the girl involved is far from the little innocent child people would like to portray, she knew well what she was doing and was most likely planning some sort of kiss and tell.
    the fact she knew well what she was doing and I doubt very much she was in anyway "physiologically affected" (by the incident anyway maybe by the social media stuff afterwards) explains why people don't have much sympathy for her.

We are talking about a young girl here who is below the age for which she can consent to sex. In which case any sex with her is an offence. The footballer in question admitted to grooming and performing acts which were against the law and was jailed. There is a perpetrator and a victim. You shifted some of the blame onto the victim so I cannot see any basis for your appeal.

The length of you ban may seem harsh but given that you have a long history of bans and infractions on boards I think it is appropriate in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No response from OP in over 2 weeks. Marking as resolved.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement